Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

I'd love to hear forum members who have been to martial arts, kendo, iaido and similar clubs would fill me in on what it's like there. Just a description and some interesting details to give me ideas in what I want and to sate my curiosity.

Besides that, what fighting styles are the most agressive?

Thanks in advance.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

As for most aggressive, probably Phillipino Stick fighting. Most of the Eastern arts are not about aggression, but defense. I have studied Kenpo, and it is all based in defense. From what I understand of the other arts, they are mostly the same. If I were taking in students, and they continually asked me about aggressive techniques, I would turn them away. Yes, I can subdue a man twice my size in a matter of seconds, but not through my own aggression, but through his. Also note, I said subdue. From a *I want to be able to just kick any body's butt at any moment* view, most of the arts are capable of giving you that ability. I would hope that in the process of learning that you can do the thing, you learn that there is mostly no need to do it.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

There's a lot to tell. If you have a more specific area of interst I might be able to help, my area is Chinese martial arts. Just PM me, depending on what you're looking into, it gets kind of detailed.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
[QB] As for most aggressive, probably Phillipino Stick fighting.
You mean escrima? [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

Uss, you might do a search for the phrase "martial arts". There have been several extremely informative (if not divisive) discussions about the relative merits of various fighting styles and how they compare to one another. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I don't know what kinds are most aggressive, but expect to sweat a lot and learn about respect, learn a bit of another laguage, and be prepared to have a great time if you join a really good martial arts class.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

There's a Russian form of Judo designed by the KGB to kill quickly and painfully. Try googling 'Judo' 'Russia' and 'KGB' in quotes. See what comes up.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #7
cocobolomike
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Uss,
there are myriad styles of martial arts but the most important thing to do to help you to decide which one to take up (and i cannot recommend martial arts highly enough !) is trying them out.
The club itself,the instructors and club members are all vitally important as is proximity ...you're less likely to want to train regularly if you need to make a long trip to get there! You need to find a style which suits you..i would also suggest starting with a friend/s.
Martial arts study is not just about attaining black belt..after all when you pass your driving test you don't just stop driving just as when you get 1st dan you don't stop training !!
As for aggression..think speed, skill, control, awareness...most martial arts are defensive but that is way too simplistic..a first defensive move followed by overtly aggressive decisive countermeasure may be closer..but as mentioned above, a fascinating subject worthy of study!I have studied Shotokan Karate for 15 years and look forward to carrying it on ad infinitum!
Good luck ,have fun training ,Cocobolomike
cocobolomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
uss
20th Level Warrior

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I've found out that a Karate-Do club is probably located at the most comfortable spot, so I'm considering joining that in September, when they'll take up new members. It's really extensive though, I'll quote - There are 3 training lessons per week for beginners but they can later participate in more, according to their wishes. That might be too much, considering I'm going to be really busy in the next school year. Oh well, I guess joining martial arts clubs needs lots of determination. It does sound intriguing though.

Aside from the net skimming, (thanks for the tip, Azred [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I'd like to know - what do you guys know about Karate-Do?
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Not much, may I recommend:

www.karateforums.com
Old 07-16-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

I can tell you a fair bit about Karate-do. Like cocobolomike, I studied Shotokan, but only for a total of 11 years. Injuries and time constraints take their toll. However, not attending classes does not mean that I do not still consider myself a student.

"Do" roughly translates as "Way" or "Path", in a metaphysical as well as physical sense. "Kara" means "empty" or "bare", and "Te" means "hand" or "fist". Thus, the whole translates to Way of the Empty Hand (e.g. weaponless). There are scores of philosophical concepts underpinning this meaning. In case the club you are thinking of joining is Shotokan, "kan" means "house" or "school", and "Shoto" means "waving pines". Shoto was the pen-name of the founder of modern karate, Gichin Funakoshi, who wrote poetry.

You will find, if you join a club and train long enough, that all martial arts have distinct similarities, and that all martial artists are attempting self-perfection - different paths leading to the same goal.

It has been stated before that all martial arts are defensive. That is generally true. In all my years of training and since, I have only had to fight once. However, I have extricated myself from at least a dozen potentially violent situations without a blow, due to attitude, posture, readiness, and all the other things that signal to an aggressor that starting to mix it up would be a bad idea.

Martial arts are broadly divisible into "hard" and "soft" techniques. Karate, kung-fu, and tai kwan do use harder, striking techniques. Tai chi, judo, and aikido use softer techniques such as joint locks. Kendo and iaido are martial arts based on sword technique. Don't get too excited about that, as Japanese swordsmanship is much different from the movies, and they probably won't even let you touch a real sword before year three.

Karate is a good martial art to start with. It has a good mix of blocking techniques, hand strikes, and kicks, while not totally ignoring softer techniques. It does tend to be quite linear, both in technique and in training. Ask if you can watch a couple of classes this summer before you join. The vast majority of clubs will allow potential students to observe.