Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2002, 03:06 PM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Erm... well I have been having a lot of PC troubles lately, managed to sort some out by fiddling with my BIOS, but stuff like games, MSN, Outlook, IE, Opera, AIM etc... all crash back to desktop frequently.

Well when I was looking at my BIOS, I checked the temperatures, and I'm not sure what the normal range should be, but they seemed a little... well, high.

CPU temp: 54 C/ 132 F
System temp: 34 C/ 93 F

I mean surely I could fry an egg on that? My fan *is* working, I checked it. Is this normal? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2002, 03:08 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I think that it is normal. I just checked my iMac, and it is roasty toasty (which is good to hug in the winter ) and I don't have many probs with it.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
I think that it is normal. I just checked my iMac, and it is roasty toasty (which is good to hug in the winter ) and I don't have many probs with it.
Thanks Sir G! I shall not panic then [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2002, 02:56 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Are you sure your fan is working ? Do you have room for an extra fan ? I had this problem myself once and i cooked my harddrive.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:05 PM   #5
Absynthe

DISCLAIMER---- I'm not a fully certified geek....
But... my system runs in the mid-90's (fahrenheit) for the cpu, and mid 80's for the case. I installed a couple of extra fans just to keep things cool, and I've had no bluescreens or crashes since. I don't know that a higher temp can cause problems with the memory as well as the cpu, which would result in frequent crashes. Here's a very simple test, pull the case off your computer, aim a small house fan at the insides, and run what you normally would. Watch your temps and see if there is a correlation between the lower temp and your crashing frequency.
I'm sure you'll get responses from more savvy folks, but until you do, there's my tuppence. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2002, 03:59 PM   #6
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Erm... well I have been having a lot of PC troubles lately, managed to sort some out by fiddling with my BIOS, but stuff like games, MSN, Outlook, IE, Opera, AIM etc... all crash back to desktop frequently.

Well when I was looking at my BIOS, I checked the temperatures, and I'm not sure what the normal range should be, but they seemed a little... well, high.

CPU temp: 54 C/ 132 F
System temp: 34 C/ 93 F

I mean surely I could fry an egg on that? My fan *is* working, I checked it. Is this normal?
Nothing to be worried about Epona!

CPU temp: 25 C/ 77 F
System temp: 30 C/ 89 F

It is a little colder in my computer because i have 5 fans inside the pc tower but yours are "normale" if you only have those 2 standar fans that come with ordernary pc`s.

Also check to se if you`r pc have any "viruses" to Epona!!

[ 07-03-2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-03-2002, 09:26 PM   #7
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Epona
How do you check the temperature? I get a temperature when I first boot up (on the BIOS screen) whilst it does its memory checks, but if I want to check the temp after a few hours of gaming.. err, checking the email I would have to quit all programs and restart.
[img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 04:29 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
aim a small house fan at the insides
You will probably find this astounding, but I don't have a house fan! This is England, it doesn't really get hot enough to need that sort of thing. (similarly my office has no A/C - most places don't) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 04:47 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, I would suggest that while you are at it, make sure you have three fans.
One that blows in cold air, one that blows hot air out, so you get a flow that rounds the processor and the mainboard.
Also have a heatsink and fan on the processor is always a good choice. If your powersupply has a fan that is good, if not.. get one quick!!

Also, if you have further problems, there are special fans for the PCI slots directed to the graphics cards that usually gets hot, also there are mini fans that you can place so they cool down the RAM slots..

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 07-04-2002, 05:06 AM   #10
Deathbringer

I live in Australia and when it's Summer it gets around 40 C I simply take the sides of te case and the temperature drops between 5 C - 10 C!

I used to have a computer that was overclocked from a 200Mhz to a 450Mhz and that ran around 55 C, As soon as I got a better fan, All the crashes went away.