Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 03:02 AM   #1
Hustnik
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi folks,

I would love to seek your advice concerning my party. I have started with group of five charakters:

elf - ranger
human - cleric
dwarf - fighter
human - thief
gnom - mage-illusionist

and it seems I would use one more, but do not know whom to add. And is it duable with this party or should I start over? (I'm yet at the end of Vale of Shadows)

Would anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks a lot.
Hustnik

P.S. Sorry for any errors in my English as I'm from Czech republic..
Hustnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:07 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Do you have the expansion, Heart of Winter?
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:21 AM   #3
Hustnik
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, it has been already installed (IWD 1 Platinum edition).
Old 01-22-2004, 05:40 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hustnik:
Hi folks,

I would love to seek your advice concerning my party. I have started with group of five charakters:

elf - ranger
human - cleric
dwarf - fighter
human - thief
gnom - mage-illusionist

and it seems I would use one more, but do not know whom to add. And is it duable with this party or should I start over? (I'm yet at the end of Vale of Shadows)

Would anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks a lot.
Hustnik

P.S. Sorry for any errors in my English as I'm from Czech republic..
First off, I shall take it that you are playing on Core Difficulty (the dafault), which is quite forgiving.

Overall though, the party is playable.

If you want my personal opinion, this is what I would have changed.

A multiclassed Fighter/Thief can replace both the Ranger and the Thief really. If you were planning to use the Ranger for melee, a Paladin would have been better, due to their various immunities and perks.

A Fighter dualled to a Cleric at level 3 would grant it better combat prowness and survivability. Multiclass is not really recommended as there will not be enough XP to justify the slow levelling up.

A multiclassed Mage will mean that you will be low on arcane power. Will not pose a major problem on Core Difficulty, but consider getting a dualclassed Fighter(lvl 3)->Necromancer (you will need 15 STR, 16 WIS and 17 INT minimum) for better arcane handling.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I'll wait for NobleNick to mention the b***
Old 01-22-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
Hustnik
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually as I have read some bits of previous discussions I have expected someone to recommend either bard or druid..

[ 01-22-2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Hustnik ]
Old 01-22-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Hustnik
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And as not quite advanced player I started with default difficulty..
Old 01-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Hustnik,

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . Welcome to the IWD forum! . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Heh, heh, heh, yep, I've been pegged by ZFR!

It appears that you want an "ethnically diverse" group that will fare well in HoW, Hustnik, in which case I'd suggest these tweaks to your party:

1.) elf - mc Ranger/Cleric
2.) human - dc Fighter(9)/Druid
3.) dwarf - Fighter
4.) human - dc Fighter(9)/Thief
5.) gnome - mc Cleric/Illusionist
6.) half-elf - Bard

The above party gives you redundancy in Cleric-power, magic, and Fighters. The Bard wil also make your characters 1-4 fight like tigers on steroids after she gets "War Chant." If you are impatient, you can dual Character 4 over to Thief at Fighter 6 or even Fighter 3; but I would wait for Fighter(9) if you are going to do HoW: You will want all the Fighter power you can get. Your Bard can pickpocket; your Clerics can heal the Fighters who set off traps; and at least one of your Mages will have to learn "Knock" until your Thief comes on line. Use your DC character's time as Fighter to stack PPs as deeply as you can in exactly one melee weapon and one ranged weapon.

If you can live with a little less ethnic diversity, I'd implement Dundee's suggestion by changing the above list as follows:

1.) Human - dc Cleric[10]/Fighter (or Cleric[10]/Ranger, if you prefer). The big thing is that your Cleric needs to be able to "Raise Dead" before dualing over.
3.) Human - Paladin

By the way, your written English is much better than that of some Americans I know.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 01-22-2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote