Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 04:20 AM   #1
Adamo
Dungeon Master

I released Garren's child from the prison cell but when I met Garren afterwards he made a comment referring to me not releasing his son yet. I remember getting some experience points after freeing his son from the cell. Is this just a glitch in the game or do I have to do something specific to 'finish' the quest? There is no mention of me finishing the quest in my journal.

adamo
Adamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:35 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

That sounds like a bug. Are you patched?
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Adamo
Dungeon Master

You know what, I didn't go to his cabin. I saw him standing outside the 'dungeon'. Maybe I have to return to his cabin to complete the quest. Does that sound right?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Adamo:
You know what, I didn't go to his cabin. I saw him standing outside the 'dungeon'. Maybe I have to return to his cabin to complete the quest. Does that sound right?
he shouldn't even be near the dungeon. he should be right back at his cabin.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
Imrahil
Elminster

Did you initially receive the quest from Garren in his cabin? If you skip the whole "hospitality" thing & never go to his cabin after killing the "knights" he'll show up outside the dungeon & give you his plea.

If you received the quest from him in his cabin, check back there - the one outside the dungeon could be a bug (although I think they check the same variables & I'd actually be surprised if you get a different response, but it's definitely worth a try).

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

This quest is RIDDLED with bugs, I have never been able to complete it without getting some sort of hitch. There is a very fine order which the quest must be done, or none of the members will know what is going on, and sometimes you can even have multiple Garrens if you really screw things up. If worse comes to worse, try using the CLUA console to create Garren, and if he doesn't say what you want him to, try using NearInfinity to check the variables that should be set when you free his son, and make sure that they are set. Or if you don't have NearInfinity, ask here for someone to find it for you.
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:06 AM   #7
Adamo
Dungeon Master

Brainless one, that's a relief. I thought I was losing my marbles. I freed the son but apparently Garren hasn't recognized it. I went back to try and free him again but I no longer have the key. So, I guess I'm screwed. Can someone explain Nearinfinity to me. It sounds like it's some sort of way to workaround bugs in the game. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

adam
Old 01-12-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
Adamo
Dungeon Master

Actually, tell me if this should work. I am trying to use 'Debug mode' to get another 'Firkaarg's Prison Key' to release Garren's child. Might this work? In actuality, I have attempted to do just that but I haven't been able to get the command line to open. I put in the line 'Debug Mode=1' in the .ini file but when I hit 'ctrl-space' nothing happens.

Therefore, first question: should I even attempt to get another key? And secondly, why wouldn't 'Ctrl-Space' open up a command line for me?
Old 01-12-2005, 12:39 AM   #9
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

Actually I think it is CTRL+TAB. I believe it is CTRL+SPACE only in BG1. If that's not the case, try double checking that the debug mode line is in the correct place on the .ini. If you already freed the son and he doesn't recognize it, try CLUAing in the son and him, and talk between them until something clicks, or you realize something that needs to be done. Also, I take it you do not have the Near Infinity program? Try doing a search on google or other for "Near Infinity download", it's one of the top few responses. It is an AWESOME program that can read, open, and change nearly every file in the game. I couldn't possibly imagine living without it. Good luck with your quest,
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:03 AM   #10
Adamo
Dungeon Master

OK, Brainless, this is it. I'm being a pain in the butt. Last post for me on this. I downloaded NearInfinity, excellent program, by the way. I'm searching through it and I understand that all the variables of completed quests are '1' and those that aren't complete are '0'. I found 2 'lines' under the list of quests that are called 'followgarren' and 'followedgarren' and both are currently labelled with '0'. I'm thinking about just changing them both to '1' and calling it a day. Do you think I should? I don't want to screw the possibility of not getting a stronghold for my paladin.

Many thanks on this. Sorry to be a pain!

adam