Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I'm looking for something a bit different here. I've never been a huge fan of Thieves or Mages, viewing them as a necessary evil in my games, as I'm much more "tank orientated."

I was thinking of giving this combo a try though. I figure the Swashbuckler is a slightly better fighter than any of the other Thief kits (or a plain Thief), and the abilities work well with a Mage.

Would this combo work? Since I have ToB, what's a good level to dualclass at (I was thinking 15)?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

it would be a superb solo i reckon - i've thought about it myself and even started one

couple of thoughts

the swashbuckler combat bonuses pleasingly apply to missile weapon as well very good {coughs} tuigan bow . . .

decide if you want to bother acquiring stealth - you don't need if for a mage solo i reckon (although i'd like it) and it will allow you to max out your other thief skills early (easily by level 15 off the top of my head)

unless the idea upsets you slug down a few potions of master thievery and steal every scroll in waukeens promenade before you dual and then scribe - erase - scribe . . . them all - i reckon that would get you up to about mage level 10-ish?

do you play with the tactics mod installed? and XP-cap remover? the reason i ask is that there's loads of XP to be had in tactics and you could go for a very late dual (maybe even after you've achieved Use Any Item) - it's fun to do but my warning is that i tend to lose interest once i've re-activated my original class and the power jumps up but enough of my problems . . .

have fun anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Really good solo. Dual-wield some blades, you have a mini FMT on your hands. If you use the Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power, and use something like the Boots of Stealth or Thieve's Hood, you can ambush foes with things like Spell Triggered Skull Traps and whatnot. Not to mention you get some good combat bonuses.

The XP isn't so bad. By my count, even without "leaving" the rewards of quests (not initiating the final dialogue) until after your dual, you can do about 200k XP from non-combat oriented quests (graveyard quests, the circus is really easy, etc.) Add to that a few high level scrolls, and even without the erase-learn trick, you can get up to a level 9 or 10 mage pretty quickly. When you get there, make sure you use a whole bunch of summons. Maybe your best combo is Spider Spawn + Black Spider Figurine + Web.

Katana's then long swords are cliches, but your best bet. CF + Dakkon's early on, with Daystar for the undead, followed by adding the Equalizer. If you get Blackrazor, then watch the hell out. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT -> I hate it when I forget to close my parantheses.

[ 04-21-2006, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: True_Moose ]
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I kinda thought the XP would be good. I can disarm every trap and unlock every lock I can find while still a Thief, as well as pickpocket a bunch of scrolls for scribing later.

I would have a 19 INT (play through BG1 first), so I'd be able to memorize every scroll there is. I don't erase and rescribe though, that's just plain cheesey. This should boost me in levels significantly after dualclassing over.

I was even thinking, if I were lucky, I could be close to switching over before leaving Irenicus' dungeon at the beginning (I'd be starting at level 10, from a TotSC import, remember).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Trivia:

..) Swashie's combat bonuses apply to Melf's Minute Meteors as well. Make them feel the pain.

..) Swashie's AC bonuses will stack with the Lvl1 spell, Shield.

..) Swashie's bonuses will apply to you in Tensor's Transformation as well. Casting it when you are in a pinch can save your life.

Tips:

..) Dualwield and Improved Haste.

..) Pickpocket that Ring of Regeneration ASAP.

..) The Cloak of the Sewers is an excellent once-a-day healing item.

..) Buy/Steal/Loot Invisibility Potions.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
..) Swashie's combat bonuses apply to Melf's Minute Meteors as well. Make them feel the pain.
oooh - now that's very nice . . .
Old 04-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Very nice indeed. But I digress.

Don't waste ring and necklace slots on things that will improve your AC, as spells like Ghost Armour stack with the Swashy's AC Bonus.

Use those ring slots for items like the Ring of Half Assed regeneration.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I think my rings will eventually be the Ring of Gaxx and the Ring of Free Action (maybe not on #2, b/c I like Haste).

Can a Swashbuckler wear that Asylfurund (sp?) chain mail?

Any good suggestions on which quests to clear beofre dual-classing to Mage? I'm thinking about tackling the D'Arnise Keep since I can use a flaming sword there.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:34 AM   #9
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

The problem really won't be getting up to level 15. You should be able to do that pretty quickly. The De'Arnise and Trademeet quests are both fairly simple with isolation tactics, and you can get some real good loot. Loot is key, particularly after you switch over. I would also try to get some items of summoning (spider figurine, Valhalla horn, hell maybe the Efreeti bottle.) I can't remember if you can, but see if you can do the Planar Sphere quest without going back inside and taking the stronghold - it's better than Mae'Var's in terms of XP.

Swashies can indeed wear Elven Chain.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
. . . I can't remember if you can, but see if you can do the Planar Sphere quest without going back inside and taking the stronghold . . .
a tweak i've learned about solo dual-classing is not to do any quests that lock you into an area if you're anywhere near a dual point - you face the choice of doing something potentially hard with a low level mage, thief whatever . . . or 'wasting' the XP on your first class