Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

taken fron here: http://www.peta.org/news/NewsItem.asp?id=1848

Quote:
PETA ASKS YASSER ARAFAT TO EXTEND THE OLIVE BRANCH TO ANIMALS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Immediate Release:
February 4, 2003

Andrew Butler 757-622-7382

Following the recent bombing in Jerusalem in which a live donkey, laden with explosives, was blown up, shocking people of all nationalities around the world, Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), has written to Palestinian National Authority President Yasser Arafat asking that he urge those who listen to him to keep animals out of the conflict.

Writes Newkirk, "All nations behave abominably in many ways when they are fighting their enemies, and animals are always caught in the crossfire. … Animals have no Geneva Convention, no peace treaty—just our mercy."

A copy of PETA’s letter to Yasser Arafat follows.

February 3, 2003

Yasser Arafat, President
Palestinian National Authority
Ramallah, West Bank
Palestinian Authority

1 page via facsimile: XXXX

Your Excellency:

I am writing from an organization dedicated to fighting animal abuse around the world. We have received many calls and letters from people shocked at the bombing in Jerusalem on January 26 in which a live donkey, laden with explosives, was intentionally blown up.

All nations behave abominably in many ways when they are fighting their enemies, and animals are always caught in the crossfire. The U.S. Army abandoned thousands of loyal service dogs in Vietnam. Al-Qaeda and the British government have both used animals in hideously cruel biological weaponry tests. We watched on television as stray cats in your own compound fled as best they could from the Israeli bulldozers.

Animals claim no nation. They are in perpetual involuntary servitude to all humankind, and although they pose no threat and own no weapons, human beings always win in the undeclared war against them. For animals, there is no Geneva Convention and no peace treaty—just our mercy.

If you have the opportunity, will you please add to your burdens my request that you appeal to all those who listen to you to leave the animals out of this conflict?

We send you sincere wishes of peace.

Very truly yours,

Ingrid Newkirk
President, PETA
These people need to get a clue. I guess blowing up one donkey outweighs the hundreds of people that have been killed in the conflict so far. Maybe instead of just asking to not use anymore animals PETA could have said something like, oh, I dont know ,STOP BLOWING UP EACH OTHER!!! Maybe they should strap a bomb to Ingrid Newkirk and blow up the real ass.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:40 PM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

They are just defending the helpless and that is something to be proud of. Mr arrafat wil be aware of his need of suport from western left wingers, complaints from PETA will have an effect if this behavior continues.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #3
MagiK

Dude!!!! You can't expect PETA to do anything silly like worry about people. They believe animals are more important and superior to us filthy humans. PETA is on my love to hate list

Old 02-10-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

PETA is a secret organization of the Ascended.

The Ascended are secret rulers of our modern world are the descendants of animals that, centuries ago, used magic to transform themselves into humans. They have created a vast, worldwide conspiracy, through which they control police, militaries, the media, big business, and organized crime. They want to make sure they remain in charge and that magic never comes back--if it does, they'll turn into bears and snakes and tigers again.

At least that is one theory.

[ 02-10-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 02-10-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think you missed the point, wellard. PETA didn't seem concerned with Arafat using suicidal bombers - just so long as he only used humans.

Note that the official letter from PETA only asks that he "leave animals out of this conflict", not that he try to actually END the conflict. The implication seems to be that it's OK to continue the conflict...as long as he only use "human suicide bombers".

As for complaints from PETA having a profound effect on Mr. Arafat, I rather doubt it. If he isn't concerned with the President's disapproval of his actions, I doubt he really cares what PETA thinks.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
Brennihelvete

LOL, oh my I couldnt stop laugh after reading that letter. Thats the most stupid thing I've EVER read. "Please not hurt donkey. Animal be innocent. Human not innocent. They got weap-weapons? Human better die, yes"
Old 02-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
I think you missed the point, wellard. PETA didn't seem concerned with Arafat using suicidal bombers - just so long as he only used humans.

Note that the official letter from PETA only asks that he "leave animals out of this conflict", not that he try to actually END the conflict. The implication seems to be that it's OK to continue the conflict...as long as he only use "human suicide bombers".

As for complaints from PETA having a profound effect on Mr. Arafat, I rather doubt it. If he isn't concerned with the President's disapproval of his actions, I doubt he really cares what PETA thinks.
Well Cerek I dont think I'm missing the point at all. A letter from PETA or pres.Bush is not going to stop the conflict at all ( What is?) But the points I was trying to make were
(1) what is so wrong in trying to defend animals? they may be wasteing there time, but it is there time to waste, and what harm will come of it. and hey wishes sometimes do come true.

(2) Mr arafat and his organisation get a lot of sympathy and support from left wing groups in europe and elswhere, and an organisaion like PETA carries influance in these circles.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-10-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

They were making a point. When making a single point you don't go muddying the waters with other things. Yes suicide bombing is wrong. Terrible. But there are people in uproar about that. PETA's existence is focussed on animal rights. It is outside their "juristiction" to comment on the validity or not of war. THey are in a perfectly legitimate area by commenting on using animals to blow up other humans. Which is a way of limiting terror options also if you think about it.

One group focusses on human bombs? Could take humasn out of the equation.
Another group focusses on animal bombs? Takes animal bombs out of the equation.
A thrid group focusses on landmine prevention? Takes landmines out.
A fourth hits chemical weapons? Or nukes? Or a type of inhuman grenade?

You get the picture.

Nowhere did I read that PETA said "please use humans as bombs thanks". THey just limited their concern to the area they are supposed to concentrate on.

Animal welfare. Someones got to do it.

Where there is animal welfare, human welfare follows.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-10-2003, 01:38 PM   #9
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I once read an article where it stated most serial killers abused family pets. Now I'm not sure as to the authenticity of this, but just thought Id back yorick up 'cause his post made sense [img]smile.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:44 PM   #10
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

I think Yorick summed up my point of view..(surprising?) Not that I agree with PETA on most things, aside from basic animal rights.

However, it is a bit silly.He didnt mention the human loss of life at all in his leter. Just the poor donkey that was used.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge