Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2002, 01:12 AM   #1
Raistilyn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Can any one try to sum up WW for me? I am gona be starting Wiz 8 soon here, but i figured maybe id play this instead for abit. What type of game is it exactly? Kinda along the MM series style play or? When was it released, and how long does it take? Are there multiple endings? Is playing it thru again going to allow me to experince a entirly diffrent game if i choose diffrent paths, like some games offer? Or is there mainly just one ending, and one way to get there, just some non linear stuff i can do along the way? Would appreacite any info you could pass along, and also if any one has any suggestions on a game that might possibly resemble Final Fantasy Tactics for PS, on any system please tell me [img]smile.gif[/img] that was the greatest game ever both char development wise, and story wise, other then the fact it was so short. Thanks all for the future info [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2002, 08:17 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Raistilyn!!!

W&W is very similar in style to the Wizardry series and M&M. There are a lot of variables to explore in character development but the story line is rather linear but there are lots of choices to be made along the way which are not linear. Personally, I found that to be a good feature rather than bad. I personally don't like games where you end up with so many different directions to go in that it is difficult to know which way to go at all.
Character development is where you have all sorts of options and also are encouraged to replay the game. Two of the most powerful character classes are not even available until the very end of the game so to really develop them, you need to replay.
There are two basic endings possible - one you defeat Cet and the other you join him.
I've played a zillion or so CRPGs in my time and W&W rates as one of the best in my book. I loved the W&W world and the consistancy of genre maintained within the game. I started to play Wiz 8 but put it aside when there was too much mixture of Fantasy with Sci-Fi. I don't like my genre mixed.
W&W was released in the fall of 2000. I have no idea how long it takes to play - I don't keep track of things like that. I have had a lot of fun playing it!
Having never played FFT for PS or anything else, I cannot help you with that.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 11:02 AM   #3
Raistilyn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for the reply [img]smile.gif[/img] A question or 2 though, when you beat it , are you able to start game again with your new class you said you got? I, also HATE mixture of scfi crap with my awesome old school fantasy, cept like in FF3 with the ancient castle that can submerge in sand, that was cool [img]smile.gif[/img] Since it was made somewhat recently i take it the interface isnt going to be hard and difficult to play like some previous rpgs for computers in the 90's? The 2 endings you speak of, do you determine which path you follow at the begining, middle, or just like at the LAST possible second , so basically the game is the exact same the 2nd time though cept for the last few minutes?
Thanks for the info, and any other thoughts, or opinoins about the game, plz feel free to give, trying to decide what to do with the last semester of college on my free time heh, wiz 8 forsure, possibly MM9, and might go and rebeat Final Fantasy Tactics for the hell of it [img]smile.gif[/img] Dude if you have never played FFT STOP EVERY THING YOU ARE DOING, quit your job, quit all other games, go buy FFT, play FFT, beat FFT, rinse and repeat. Best game in the world, with ogre battle, and tactics ogre not to far behind [img]smile.gif[/img] FFT has way better graphics, and a better story then the other 2, but all have great Char develpment, and alot of lil goodies [img]smile.gif[/img] I almost cried in FFT, and im a big ol college football player!!!!
Old 03-11-2002, 01:48 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

After you have beaten the game you can "RESET ADVENTURES" which takes you back to the beginning, all quests etc. yet to be done. You keep your current character class and loose the history of what classes you have already been. The game only lets you be one class once - so this is nice. You keep most of your equipment and goodies - what will go missing are QUEST items (which makes perfect sense).

It is obvious that the designers had more in mind for this game than they were able to finally implement. They rushed the game to market because they were running out of development funds so many things got cut from the game.

You really only get to choose which of the two endings you want at the end. Early in the game you swear and oath but the game put no teeth to that oath - so you can play the game pretty much any way you want to without consequences (pity). Many players have rather enjoyed that bit.

I'll have to check FFT out when I find the time (of which I don't have a lot). Currently I have found myself playing Throne of Darkness and finding it eating time I don't have! lol!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 07:00 PM   #5
KAR_MOD1
Drow Warrior

OT: btw wyvern what is crpgs i know mmorpg = massivly multiplayer online rpg but never heard of crpg.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:13 PM   #6
Feanor
Dungeon Master

KAR_MOD1 - crpg = Computer Role Playing Game

Raistilyn - W&W is one of the best RPGs ever IMO, and I've played a ton of every kind too (including FF 1-8, even 2,3 and 5 in Japanese). For me, W&W's strong points are a very immersive world, great dungeons, lots of items to find, and fun combat. I would recommend it over Wiz. 8. Personally, I found Wiz. 8 to be less accessable story wise, and less satisfying. Not that Wiz. 8 was a bad game, it just seemed a little TOO non-linear.
As far as replayability, W&W's different classes help make each time through a different experience, both in what quests you might get and also how your battle tactics develop.
Other good features are - great spell system, good music and sound.
Down sides to W&W are - there are bugs that weren't fixed by release time (a patch is available for some of them), some design flaws were never ironed out before release(will not usually keep you from finishing the game though). Also, the interface does take some getting used to at first. Mainly from its layout. The keyboard commands are responsive, however, and by the end of the game I was running around, and strafing with mouse and keyboard just like in Quake or something.

that's just my take on it
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 11:05 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My take: W&W is more like Wizardry than Might And Magic. I'm an old M&M hand, and one of the things M&M has that W&W lacks is a final score -- some way to gauge your performance. It's fun going through, but after a time or two, it's much less challenging. I'm playing a solo Zenmaster right now, and finally (2/3 through the game) starting to run into consistent beasties that I *can't* kill in one stroke.

Absolutely no sci-fi involved, which is definitely welcome in my book. And it's hard to top the various comments (ooh! isn't it kilt yet?). They get old but refreshing after a while.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote