Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2001, 09:18 AM   #1
Mordenheim
Elminster

Hello guys

Need a little help with the Demon at the end of Dragons eye. The one that changes from a child. I have only got her down to barely injured lol.

Any tips? Thanks
Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 10:40 AM   #2
Sir Moosington
Dungeon Master

Whatever you do do not engage her in the room you find her, its full of traps and she casts a cloudkill early on. She has very high magic resistance so you can't rely on spells. If you have any mages use them to take out the Yuan-ti with her.

Best tactic I found was to setup a position in the corridor outside the room and lure them out. Haste everybody to maximise attacks and hit her as hard as you can. Mop up the Yuan-ti only when she is dead.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:05 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm assuming that you are playing on normal mode - but these tactics will work regardless on the game difficulty!

This is fairly detailed .. but here goes.

First of all, Yux is HIGHLY magic resistant ... so you will need at least one, and preferably two fighters equipped with magic weapons. If I remember correctly, they need to be +2 or better!

Secondly, rest and rememorize your spells. Your mage should focus on area effect spells: fireball and web are essential!! Take these in quantity and flesh them out with protection from evil 10', haste, slow, chromatic orb and monster summoning (particularly the higher level versions)! Chrome orb can stop some of Yux's minions dead in their tracks! Monster summoning is essential initially! Clerical spells should focus on healing (especially HEAL), protection with a flame strike or two tossed in along with dispel magic. If your cleric is high enough level, take Lathanders shield (sic). IT doesn't last long, but it totally prevents ANY damage to the protected party and is a real godsend when facing off with Yux! Druid spells should focus on healing, insect plague, entangle, and spike growth.

Third, there are a number of rings of free action that available before you face off with Yux. USE THEM!!! you are probably going to be dropping web and entangle spells all over Yux chambers and having key party members equipped with them is VERY useful!

Before you initiate dialogue with Yux, cast any LONG lasting protection spells that you have (1 turn in duration minimum). Forget the short term stuff for now. Then cast one web spell to EACH side of Yux - that will help slow down the yuan-ti archers to her right and left. If possible save one web or entangle spell to drop RIGHT at entrance to her chamber. Yux will summon monsters and the web/entangle Now cast Monster summoning BEHIND your group.

When the dialogue with Yux ends, a group of 3 or 4 Yuan-Ti mages will warp in BEHIND your group. Take these guys out FIRST!!!!! They can cause serious damage to your party and TOTALLY disrupt your spell casters if not dealt with QUICKLY! Use your summoned monsters to take these guys out. If you get lucky and get a group of six lizardmen, you are in hog heaven. WASTE THOSE MAGES!!!! FAST! Use the summoned monsters and your fighters to take them out. If they need support add in the spellcasters as well. These guys are your number one priority at the start as they block your rear should a retreat be necessary. If the fighters and summoned monsters are taking these guys down, you can then have your spell casters use area effect damage spells on Yux's minions. Fireball, Cloudkill, Spike Growth all work especially well.

Assuming that mages have been neutralized, you can now focus on Yux! Cast Haste on one or more of the fighters (use potions if necessary) and then Use Lathanders Shield or Lathanders Greater SHield. Go in and start wailing! Keep your cleric behind your fighters and keep healing spells flowing. Yux can do a LOT of damage quickly! So keep those fighters as close to max hitpoints as possible. Having a fighter use a healing potion is almost a death wish if the fighter is too low on hitpoints. If Yux's summoned monsters (mostly undead) get troublesome, drop a web spell on them and back up a bit. Same goes for Yux's minions. You can also use any surviving summoned monsters to help deal with Yux's remaining minions and/or Yux's summoned undead. Carrying more than ONE high level monster summoning spell is a GOOD idea. You can always use the summoned monsters to cover your retreat if necessary!

Just keep the pressure on her and keep an eye on her minions. If the fight looks like its going against you - RUN! Don't try to be a hero, head for the hills! use summoned monsters if available to cover your rear and beat feet. Go back up a level, reload on the spells and come back for another go! The summoned mages won't reappear, and you should have whittled down some of her minions as well. Yux won't necessarily be in the same room as you first find her though. So be careful!

Good Luck

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 11:05 AM   #4
Mordenheim
Elminster

Thank You ... been doing it the wrong way
Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 11:15 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You're welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img] There are probably some other spells I glossed over that are useful but that walkthrough should give you the idea.

Good Luck!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 11:40 PM   #6
mrdennison
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm at this part too. I have a problem though. There are traps outside that always poison me. How can I disarm them? I have not been able to get my thief to disarm anything so far...??