Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Broadband is finally arriving here tomorow, so Im getting ready for it. I want both my computers (possibly even all 4 at a later date) to be connected at once, so I have decided on going wireless (don't want unnecessary cabling)

heres what I am thinking on getting:

router, complete with built in modem and free 54mbps pci wireless card

other wireless pci card, this time 11mbps (I wont really need higher than that)

access point

Now I believe this is all I need. what do you think? Feel free to suggest other components etc.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Congrats! You don't need the second access point ( the router will serve as one). Make sure that you put up a firewall as well (don't remember if that router served as one or not); once you have an always-on connection, you get always-scanned [img]smile.gif[/img]

Be sure to search the GD forum for wireless security questions, too. YOu'll want to be protected as you go....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Definitely install your firewall!

Bungleau's right, there are several threads on wireless connections if you do a search [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck! You'll love the broadband connection!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

yeh I know its amazing, I regularly have access to a 54mpbs connection, its a bit overkill, but really nice for downloading etc. Ok so I only need the first 2 things right? Sounds good, that saves me a bit!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #5
philip
Galvatron

Well I have a 10 mbps card and the limiting factor while downloading is either the source or the broadband connection itself so you won't have trouble [img]smile.gif[/img]

You only need the first 2 cause the cable goes to the router and then wired to one computer and wireless to the other(s). For security check out the WEP settings and DON'T broadcast your (e)ssid. And even if your router has a builtin firewall I'd use a software firewall for extra security as well (nice for inside the network as well)
Old 06-16-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well I assume the 54Mbps card is 802.11g and not 802.11a. You won't actually get more than around 35Mbps performance out of it anyway, due to the overheads etc. involved. A good free easy to use firewall is ZoneAlarm - the problem with it though is that it doesn't allow control over individual ports. A more advanced but complicated and free firewall is Kerio. Do a search. I'm using Kerio now and I'm happy with it so far - it can even control who's allowed to launch applications, not just network traffic.

Remember: when the two network cards are communicating with each other as far as I know they will both operate at the speed of the lower one so that there is no point getting a 54Mbps one if the other is only 11Mbps.

While WEP adds minor security - it also adds traffic overhead, reducing data throughput, although you prob. won't care since as stated, the bottleneck is the broadband connection. You will only care when transferring files over the wireless connection.

The best form of security is not having a very high transmission range! I'm not sure if your access point will allow transmission power setting, but if it does, set it low and no one can sense your access point outside your house then anyway! This also saves power.

[ 06-16-2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 06-17-2004, 09:19 AM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

yeh I use ZA already, so I will just continue with it I think, I may look at this Kerio that you mentioned. I dont really mind about the speed of the network cards, since I will only be getting a 2-4mbps connection so it wont affect me. Also, bear in mind I wont be using that access point, I will just be using the one which is built in to my router.