Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
rbeane1
The Magister

Got to AP at levels 24 and 23/ ran in to 5 diamond unicorns L 33.
They turncoated the entire party. Even my Alchemist who had on martins
helm and has a mental resistance of 100!!!!. Once one member turn back to normal
I ran for the hills. I turd down the difficult back to normal!
rbeane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

Magic Screen and Soul Shield, both at Power Level 7 (Powercasting these also helps) will do the trick. On Expert, you may get an insane member or two, but nothing you can't handle. You need to either get these up before they cast or surprise them so you get an extra round.

Running and turning down the difficulty are also good.
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:44 AM   #3
sultan

out of curiousity, when everyone is turncoated do they all just stand around waiting for an "enemy" or do they still hit each other?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:58 AM   #4
rbeane1
The Magister

they just stood around and the Unicorns retreated back.

On majic screen and soul sheild I thought higher power just made them last
longer. If I run in them again I will give it a try. Also My priest St. Elmo
was iron will of 70 and mental majic resistance of 96 has turncoated me twice
on AP. When Sash my alxhemist used a ring of sanity on him it backfired and made
Shash insane. her artifact score is 55! I think the peak has it in for me!
rbeane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

When it comes to Ascension Peak, paranoia makes good sense. It seems that everything there is out to get you because... well... it is.

Rbeane, 100 Resistance is not really all that high. When enemies on the Peak have resistance of 90-100%, your own casters, with high (95+) Powercast, can blow through that resistance with a Damage Spells (like Tsunami, Banish) and often get all or most of the damage. It is reasonable that your enemies there, on the peak, have similar capabilities to blow through your resistance.

Even though it doesn't show above 100, your character's resistance goes all the way up to a fairly high number, 250%, I believe. When on offense, when facing 150% resistance, usually exactly nothing gets through, even with Powercast of 100. I usually won't bother to attack any realm with greater than 110% Resistance, although I rarely have attacked 125% resistance at about half effectiveness (damage spells only - all or nothing Spells generally give nothing and only occasionally "sneak through"). Resistance of 200%, that some creatures have in some realms, is like a wall. I have never had greater than zero effect from any Spell cast against that.

When your characters resistance is well above 100, you can start to relax about spells against you in those realms. Be aware that there is a bug still in the game, the "Wrap-Around" bug, that causes resistance above the maximum to back down to zero. Thus you may think your Priest with Iron Will, Magic Screen, Soul Shield and a Light Shield (90% Mental/Divinity Resistance) is well protected, only to discover, by looking at resistances, that they are not.

There is also an impact on resistance of both the Power Level the Spell is cast at and the Level of the Spell, itself. For example, casting Tsunami on Power Level 7 against enemies with a medium resistance in Water (say 90-100%) might give full damage, but casting the same spell on Power Level 4 (perhaps because you're running out of Spell Points in that realm) probably gives exactly zero.

By "Level of the Spell, that means the level of the spell itself, rather than the Power Level it is cast at. For example Blizzard is a Level 6 Spell, Falling Stars is a Level 7 Spell, etc. If the enemies faced have, resistance of 100%, for example, in both Air and Earth, the Spell Falling Stars (if the Priest has high Powercast) will probably do significant damage while the Spell Whirlwind (a Level 4 Spell) will probably do exactly zero damage (both Spells cast on Power Level 7).

These points are from observations in my own games, and are the impressions I got. They could be made more precisely, but I was just into playing at the time. I'm saying I could be wrong about the subtler aspects of the conclusions based on the above, but those are my observations, for what they're worth.

[ 09-14-2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: EEWorzelle ]
Old 09-14-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

er, ah, light shield is fire and water, not mental and divine.....
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

Oops, that's right... I was on a roll. Thanks for the correction, Scatter.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #8
sultan

Light Bulb

as long as this is the day for it, eew, i disagree you were on a roll.

it was more like a danish.

*ba-dum-bum*
Old 09-15-2003, 06:58 AM   #9
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

My experiences are similar to that of EEWorzelle.

In addition, it seems to me that the level of the caster and the target influences the result. It seems to me that each level difference improves (or lessens) the resistance by ~5%. So when you're facing monsters at 10 levels beyond your own, your own resistance is effectively much lower, and theis higher.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:30 AM   #10
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hello.

though I finished the game two times now I don't have the experience with
those guys at AP. I finished the game once with a heavy-magic party.They all
had resistances (with all spells up and with those magic protection items)
about 200 in divine and mental . My party had level 24. Some posts mentioned
that this single guy ( Souleater ?? ) often causes insanity which can be dangerous to a party because the often kill themselves. In my game that
was no problem because his spells often had little affect to my party.I had much more ploblems with his triple physical attack ( low HP of my mages).

Because I'm playing a non-magic party now I want to know : Is there a special
resistance ( maybe 150 ) in this divine and mental realms which a party must have at AP to get "a better chance to survive" ? I know I need a lot of luck
to find enough of those 'Sane Mind' rings .

Greetings
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote