Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
the mighty stamar

Well I started WW a few weeks ago.

But I had some complicated problems getting the sound to function. So I put it aside for a while and finished Divine Divinity and Wizardry 8 which are both really cool go play them. M
Y particular problem dealt with win xp sp1 and its not really listed in faq, it is in general with things like its not compatible with xp or whatever.
For some reason the sound in this game and the speech is in compressed files.

Well to make a long story short I figured out how to get it working with a decompresser program and im up and running. No other game that Im familiar with is coded quite the same way as wizards and warriors.....

I started over cause I wasnt too far into it before anyway. Im glad I did fix the sound because its really cool sounding. Especially the Trolls. "Trolly eat you for lunch". It reminds me of the Goblins in Arx fatalis.

I really like all the dialogue from the characters Im meeting. But I dont like typing in the answers and hitting return ala old school wizardry 6. I think the designer was on his way to adding baldurs gate story line of clicking but the vestigial type and return interface is still there. What do you vets think?

Anyhow I promise to write something of my adventures and Ill catch you in a while.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi!

I'm glad that you got your sound problems solved!

I can't think of anyplace where you actually need to type in a reply and I can think of a place where typing in the keyword isn't going to work. If you are using TALK, a list keywords will appear in the window on the left and you just click on them.

Wyv

[ 03-21-2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome back into the fold! It's good to see you're back, and I trust you'll continue to enjoy. *trolly eat you later*

Gotta love those sounds!

Speaking of which, if you'll get me the details on the decompressor program you used, I'd like to add it to the Tech Tips thread. Sooner or later, someone else is going to run into it.

And BTW, you can click on the words from the talking list on the left. In fact, there's at least one case where you have to click on the word. The designers left you both options in the game [img]smile.gif[/img]

And do keep us posted on your adventures....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:32 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

To the dialog interface. Sometimes, you have to type in the answer. For example, the "Orb of Clarity" will not occur on the list until you type it in. Also, the answers to Xydusa Spirit must be typed in. Or, you have to type in the answers for the altar or a statue in the crypt. But this is not a problem. In any game, you have to type in some passwords.
Note: Have you notices that both attempts of latin language are wrong? Kerah is "she", therefore, "Sancta Kerah" and not "Sanctus Kerah". "Holy" is "it", therefore, "Sanctum Holy" and not "Sanctus Holy" [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

What I like less is the "innovation" introduced in W&W. The whole dialog is splitted into small fragments. Well, this allows you to break the dialog at many points but it also means that you have to absolve long chains of the fragments sometimes before you can react to a particular essential fragment. For example, the questgivers. You have to absolve a lenghtly comments to the quest before you can answer "yes".
I would highly appreciate the diluvial dialog interface known from most of games. A window with a text and a few buttons with your answers. You can read the text if you want to. You can answer immediately if you know the text. I consider the diluvial solution much better than the W&W solution.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Do keep us posted, Stamar. If I know the rest of the people on this forum right we are all too keen to help you out if any problems occur.

As to the dialogues: The dialogue words that are relevant to the person you are talking to will pop up in the talk menu. However there are some words that do not pop up. In at least two cases you are, however, forced to write the relevant word/words. There are also two other cases I can think of, but they are optional. If you revert and restart the adventure once you have finished the game the game "remembers" the key words you got when completing the game the first time. You will then have some more words in your vocabulary you can say to the people you meet. There are a number of words you will first learn after having dealt with a person to whom the words may be relevant.