Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 07:26 AM   #1
Mojo
Elminster

Ack! Where to begin...

I reformatted my mother's hard drive yesterday, for it has been about 3 years since she aquired the computer, and hadn't ever done it..she was complaining that it runs slowly and freezes a lot, so I offered to reformat for her.

The format went fine, and I reinstalled Windows 98 without any problems. There was the end of my luck. I cannot seem to get the computer to register that it has a modem, let alone try and find the right driver for it. The same goes for the graphics (stuck on 16 colours, 640x480), and I havn't even tried the sound card yet.

I really should have made copies of the drivers, would have made it easier...
anyways, I shouldn't have too much problems finding the right drivers, once I figure out what the hardware actually is...

So HELP! please! I need to know how to get the modem found, and how to figure out the drivers needed.

Ack!
Old 10-15-2002, 07:32 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

What kind of modem is it - internal/external?

Since its not plug and play your probably stuffed unless you can ID it and find the drivers properly. Find any serial numbers on it and type them into google. Works more often than you would expect. If it dosent then look on the chips for a manufacturer, go to their site (assuming they still exist) and see what you can find. and Once you have an internt connection, you can then download graphics card drivers and thatll fix the graphic problem.

Sound wont be any trouble, unless shes into games she wont care about having more than basic sound support. No point in haveing EAX3.0 support and never loading anything other than minesweeper..
Old 10-15-2002, 07:44 AM   #3
Mojo
Elminster

It's internal. Even if I get the correct drivers for it, I need to get it to recognise the port it's in. In the CMOS setup, I can change it to recognise COM1, 2, 3 or 4, and from what I know, internal modems are usually set on COM3..that about right?

There's actually a little sticker on the front of the case, saying what's in the box. The only part relevant to the modem says "56kbps V.90 data fax". I have a CD full of drivers bit I can't seem to find one that matches the description.

Also, the label says nothing of the graphics card, is there any way of finding out what it is without taking the computer to bits? It's just reeealy awkward to take it out, open it up, look inside, close it, put it back, plug it in, only to find that it still doesn't work, know what I mean?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:05 AM   #4
The Trickster
Manshoon

OK, first of all, when you do a format, your BIOS settings remain intact, so don't go stuffing around with them.

And I'm afraid you're going to have the open the computer. Look at each part and check for model numbers. Download the Windows 98 drivers for each part and install them.

That's the quickest and most efficient solution that I know of.
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:12 AM   #5
Mojo
Elminster

Thank you muchos, I'll give that a try.

Watch this space!
Old 10-15-2002, 08:20 AM   #6
MagiK

You could switch to XP [img]smile.gif[/img] Much better than 98 at recognizing hardware and managing system resources...

Old 10-15-2002, 08:29 AM   #7
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

No, don't switch to XP!

It is rubbish!

Anyway, you have some seriouis serioduis big problems with that hard drive.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 08:39 AM   #8
Mojo
Elminster

lol, even if I did want to switch to XP, I don't have it and can't afford it.

I'm holding the modem now...I've done searches on every number I could find on it, but to no avail...

The kind of computer it is is a Packard Bell Club 50, if anyone knows about that particular model then please let me know...
Old 10-15-2002, 08:43 AM   #9
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by DJG:
No, don't switch to XP!

It is rubbish!

Anyway, you have some seriouis serioduis big problems with that hard drive.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
I used to think that about XP till I actually used it.
Yeah it is a space hog and memory pig, BUT it is so much superior to 98 and 98SE at detecting and utilizing hardware that after I figured that out I switched all 3 of my personal machines in one weekend. Now Ive disabled all the annoyance features of Xp and I am veryy happy.

I understand about not having the cash toupgrade though. No simple answer to that, other than save up [img]smile.gif[/img] Good luck in getting your moms Computer restored.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:54 AM   #10
The Trickster
Manshoon

XP is far superior to 98 if you have the appropriate hardware to run it. Ever since I installed it, my PCs stability has increased 100%. Money is always a bottleneck though.
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.