Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2002, 07:27 PM   #21
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
If I'd skipped all of the useless stuff I'd have been ready for University by now, as well as probably being a lot less stressed.
Would you really, Neb? If you didn't study literature and learn how to dissect it, how would you learn to think critically, and write meaningful commentaries? If you didn't study history how would you understand the present? If you didn't study maths equations and science, how would you learn to think laterally, and consider problems from many angles? I would say you don't have a clue about what you need to be ready for university, or life for that matter.

Further, how do you know you won't need any of these 'useless' euqations? Are you psychic? You've never been an adult living in the adult world, how can you say what you need to know? Yes you might need them if you choose a field that requires them - and believe me there are lot more fields in which you'll need maths than you might think. But even if you don't, why would you choose to be ignorant when you can have all the knowledge that is offered? Why would you want to know less than you can know?

Yes, maybe teachers could teach better. Maybe the curriculum needs updating, and assessment should span a wider variety of mediums. Things are changing. But change takes time. And I would wager that having people like you, so apathetic about learning and desperate to get out of there would hinder their ability to be enthusiastic about what they're teaching, and make their students enthusiastic too, don't you?
Old 05-25-2002, 08:50 PM   #22
MagiK

Great post Aelia, If you follow Neb's logic, l;ets just shove the thrid graders right to university...part of the earlier school years is to allow time for the kids to learn, and mature. School is not just about the subject matter, there is social interaction and a maturation process involved. Most experts agree that really advanced students should not be skipping too many grades because they need to learn to deal with people their own age....there is no such thing as USELESS knowledge, there is just a lack of interest to find a way to apply that knowledge.

[ 05-25-2002, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-25-2002, 09:10 PM   #23
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Well, I want to be a phsyicist when I get older, so I need those equations. But learning how to explain themes, character and setting in a play written by a stoner in the 17th century?! I am forced to take English even though I am 16 and am going to university in less than 2 years time.

Also, having been through the same education system for 11 years, I know for a fact that we could be so more far advanced. I agree with Neb, if the teachers/curriculum had pushed us alot faster throughout those 11 years, I could easily be in university by now! So much time is wasted during schooling. Not in the way of doing things we dont need to do so much, as the revising, going over things, once we have already got it!
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 05-25-2002, 09:21 PM   #24
MagiK

Besides what university wants pubescent teenagers in its classes, puberty is a form of insanity and no sane prof would want to have a bunch of those running loose

[ 05-25-2002, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-25-2002, 10:05 PM   #25
Deathcow
Elminster

i totally agree, Neb

who else has heard adults tell you that you should enjoy high school, because after you graduate, you are forced into the real world and its not so fun anymore?

i HATE high school, im forced to wake up way too early and sit through 4 (8 classes total, they change each day) 90 minute classes a day, no talking allowed, no eating allowed, just sit quietly and do bookwork. wheres the fun in that? monday through friday from 6am to 2pm im tired, hungry, and socially repressed. in between classes i walk alone, at lunch i sit alone, because im always in a bad mood at school

HOWEVER, i love my job and im a pretty happy guy when im not at school. i dont understand why kids are put through the hell called public schooling.

btw, i graduate in 21 days, and there are only two classes out of eight this year that werent a complete waste of time
Old 05-26-2002, 10:24 AM   #26
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Congratulations Deathcow!!! 3 more weeks of useless crap and youre FREE FREE FREEE!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] Youll be able to get up in the morning without having to think "Gee, I dont have to worry about getting expelled for beating the crap out of my Gym Coach" [img]smile.gif[/img] In fact youll be able to go back and talk to the teachers and say. "This is what I thought was useless... Dont teach it to other kids and youll decrease the depression/suicide rate EXPONENTIALLY. Yes I remember that word. Exponentially." [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm sure your teachers will be thrilled... that youre leaving [img]smile.gif[/img] (and that you remembered a word with more than 4 letters.) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good onya!!!!

[ 05-26-2002, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Earthdog ]
Old 05-26-2002, 10:36 AM   #27
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
I 100% Agree. When In Life Am I Going To Need To Know How To Find The Radius Of A Circle With A Diameter Of 10Cm. Grrrrr
Ah, Binky? Anyone who dosent know That is in real trouble. Just think about it...

And many of the so called "useless facts" have an annoying tendency to suddenly become useful at the most unexpectd moments.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:45 AM   #28
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Would you really, Neb? If you didn't study literature and learn how to dissect it, how would you learn to think critically, and write meaningful commentaries? If you didn't study history how would you understand the present? If you didn't study maths equations and science, how would you learn to think laterally, and consider problems from many angles? I would say you don't have a clue about what you need to be ready for university, or life for that matter.

Further, how do you know you won't need any of these 'useless' euqations? Are you psychic? You've never been an adult living in the adult world, how can you say what you need to know? Yes you might need them if you choose a field that requires them - and believe me there are lot more fields in which you'll need maths than you might think. But even if you don't, why would you choose to be ignorant when you can have all the knowledge that is offered? Why would you want to know less than you can know?

Yes, maybe teachers could teach better. Maybe the curriculum needs updating, and assessment should span a wider variety of mediums. Things are changing. But change takes time. And I would wager that having people like you, so apathetic about learning and desperate to get out of there would hinder their ability to be enthusiastic about what they're teaching, and make their students enthusiastic too, don't you?
That's a fantastic post Aelia, I couldn't agree more! I agree for different reasons than Magik though, who must have been pretty effed up as a teenager to keep insisting they are collectively insane [img]tongue.gif[/img] (though I'll admit the majority of em have no business in a university, as they'll realise later on)
I agree because I think it's sad everybody's whining about having to *gasp* learn new things when they should be glad about it. There were subjects in school that I hated doing, but I've always been grateful for the opportunity to acquaint myself with a broad range of topics, to have at least an inkling of general knowledge... Your question why in the world one would choose to be ignorant when one could have all the knowledge that is offered is absolutely spot on.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:46 AM   #29
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
That's a fantastic post Aelia, I couldn't agree more! I agree for different reasons than Magik though, who must have been pretty effed up as a teenager to keep insisting they are collectively insane [img]tongue.gif[/img] (though I'll admit the majority of em have no business in a university, as they'll realise later on)
I agree because I think it's sad everybody's whining about having to *gasp* learn new things when they should be glad about it. There were subjects in school that I hated doing, but I've always been grateful for the opportunity to acquaint myself with a broad range of topics, to have at least an inkling of general knowledge... Your question why in the world one would choose to be ignorant when one could have all the knowledge that is offered is absolutely spot on.
Whew, managed to get on for a short while from a relative's computer, going to add a few comments....

Most teenagers aren't collectively insane, they're just plain idiots in my opinion. Being a bit crazy can be entertaining, but I would not call it either intelligent or entertaining when my fellow teenagers discuss their last visit to the bathroom! They are SO horribly uncivilized, they eat with their mouths open, they have no manners and they are EXTREMELY shallow. I hate them.

Melusine, I am not whining about learning new things, in fact, I LOVE learning stuff a lot of the time. But the way it is being taught sucks so much that it becomes an unpleasant chore instead of a delightful task. I don't think that everyone should be reduced to just having a couple of classes, but perhaps if I had had only half as much Chemistry or Physics I could have used the left-over time to learn other things pertaining more to what I would like to see as my future career.

To be perfectly honest I actually liked both Physics and Chemistry for the first five months, but beyond that it grew into stuff that I would not ever need to know unless I chose a career that had something to do with it. It's nice to know such handy facts as what is Acid, what is Base, what makes Acid acidic, what makes Base basic. But I do not need to know what shapes atoms have! It isn't even something that might pop up in casual conversation and prove to be interesting.

Listen very carefully to what I said, I did not say that anything that we didn't find a use for every day shouldn't be taught. I said that there was just TOO MUCH of that stuff that we would only find a use for once a YEAR being taught.

Sorry if this post sucks, but I'm at a horrible keyboard, I've only had 4 hours of sleep and I'm forceed to hurry.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:35 AM   #30
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:

they eat with their mouths open,
I HATE that [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] My sister does it all the time. "Excuse me sis would you like to go chew cud with the other cows please?"