Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2001, 06:54 PM   #1
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

I'm interesting in making an assassin for my main party leader. Thinking half-orc assassin..cause that would be fun Was just curious what skills I should take.
Old 06-17-2001, 07:41 PM   #2
Shadow
Manshoon

When you start, put all the your points in hide in shadows and move silently, the ten remaining points should go in traps.

------------------
The Black Killer
Old 06-17-2001, 07:44 PM   #3
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

depends on if you are playing a solo game or multiplayer game. You need a thief with detect traps and pick locks, so if you don't have another that can do it, make sure your thief can. You can always raise your stealth and hiding up later.
If you have another thief in the party, then you are ok putting skills into hiding and stealth now.
Old 06-17-2001, 07:50 PM   #4
Shadow
Manshoon

No he isnt soloing, he said for his PARTY LEADER.

So I think the points SHOULD go in what I said.

------------------
The Black Killer
Old 06-18-2001, 01:01 AM   #5
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Thats nice, but your opinion is just one of many, its not the law.

What if he has other characters that have stealth and hiding, like rangers. Or other thieves that can hide and stealth? Who's going to pick locks and remove traps? What if he is the only thief character?
You have to adjust your party if you plan on surviving. Your skills should depend on who else you have in your party, not just what so and so says.

Maybe I should have said SINGLE PLAYER game instead of solo. If you are playing single player, and have Minsc, etc in your party, you'll have a thief with basic lockpick and detect trap abilities, so its good to put hide and stealth on your assassin.

BUT, if you are playing multiplayer, and your assassin is the only thief, whos going to unlock all the boxes? Whos going to detect and remove the traps you find? A cleric can detect traps, but only as long as they have the spell. A mage can knock, but they can only do it so many times a day.
Early in the game you don't need those backstabbing abilities, which are still low at level 7. Being able to remove and detect traps, and unlock chests will help alot more at lower levels than hiding (which a mage can cast invisible) and stealth.

So base what you want your assassin to have based on your other party members you plan on having. Only one skill will disarm traps, many items will duplicate hiding (potions, rings, spells, etc)

Old 06-18-2001, 09:48 AM   #6
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Yep, It all depends one whether youre planning to add Yoshimo to your party after you leave the first level of Irenicus' dungeon. If you are, then by all means put it all on stealth and hide in shadows. If not, then save some for find traps and so forth. Youll gain levels quick enough to add some to whatever categories you didnt raise before in either case.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2001, 09:52 AM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well you should try to balance your ability points out, but be strong in hide in shadows and move silently. you cant backstab if you cant get to the shadows. also, try to do the Mae'Var quest ASAP, cuz u get good armor and boots, plus a stronghold.

------------------
I'll kidnap ya fer 100, reprogram ya fer 300, and kill ya fer 500! Oh come one! I'll throw in the killin' fer 250!
Old 06-18-2001, 11:29 AM   #8
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

ya know what. I made an assassin and I just can't figure out how to back stab...i've beat the game twice so far but have never used the ability
Old 06-18-2001, 02:10 PM   #9
Legolas the Elven Archer

Well, the assassin is a little different from the other thiefs in that he has very few points to spend. For an assassin the hiding game is part of his/her strength, which means you won't be very good at picking locks AND setting traps. Just go for the hide and spend the rest on whatever you feel like, one or the other. Then pick someone with some thiefing skills (anyone from Yoshimo to Nalia) to make sure you can handle every situation. The thing to keep in mind is that the strength of assassins is in combat, not in picking locks or finding traps (though Set Traps would be rather appropriate)

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-18-2001, 03:43 PM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Gorgasim:
ya know what. I made an assassin and I just can't figure out how to back stab...i've beat the game twice so far but have never used the ability
Well, it's quite simple really... hide in shadows or make yourself invisible, then position yourself BEHIND the target (this is important) and attack. If the backstab worked, the screen will say something like "quadruple backstab Damage:...." and then you'll know it has worked.

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia