Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2002, 07:43 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Grojlach, i'm not saying they should ban it, it's still a great sport, but all these so called medical experts are destroying the beauty of it. It's not a fair fight anymore, i know there are still clean cyclers, but if they don't start using soon, they'll never win a race !
Old 07-06-2002, 07:58 AM   #12
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Grojlach, i'm not saying they should ban it, it's still a great sport, but all these so called medical experts are destroying the beauty of it. It's not a fair fight anymore, i know there are still clean cyclers, but if they don't start using soon, they'll never win a race !
johnny, don't forget that talent is absolutely essential. You can give Blijlevens all the dope in the world, he won't win any stages uphill because of it... He's simply lacking too much of the needed qualities to perform well in the mountains. I think that if cycling was 100% clear, we still would see the exactly same people winning. [img]smile.gif[/img]
And besides, do you have any idea how hard it is to do a Tour de France? It's overcropping on someone's body, and while a few decades ago the most important means of "surviving" it may or may not have been connected to doping, nowadays the inspections are strict enough to rule out most of the old preparation means... And there's need for alternative ways of preparing racing cyclists to ride 200+ kilometers a day... You can't do a Tour de France on a couple of sandwiches and some beef every day anymore. The season is packed and the pressure higher than ever before... I'd say it's completely irresponsible to do without those medical experts nowadays, to offer some guidance on their daily schemes. Cause one "wrong" massage could already ruin your entire Tour nowadays, to name something silly. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

[ 07-06-2002, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 07-06-2002, 08:05 AM   #13
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Are you a cycler yourself G ? You sound fanatic.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:11 AM   #14
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Nope. I've just been a fan since I was 10. And I hope you mean "fanatic" in a good way... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 08:19 AM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Nope. I've just been a fan since I was 10. And I hope you mean "fanatic" in a good way... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]You know i do !
Old 07-06-2002, 08:32 AM   #16
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
You know i do !
Pfew!
*wipes the sweat off his forehead*

[ 07-06-2002, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 07-06-2002, 09:44 AM   #17
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Sigh... In that case we might as well ban *any* sport in the world in which the pressure is high and lots of money is made. The only reason that cycling has so many doping cases, is because inspections are more thorough than in *any* other sport. I don't believe in clean sports, whether it's cycling, swimming, football or even chess for that matter.
But just as long as people know what they're doing to themselves and operate within the accepted rules concerning doping, it's fine with me. Heck, even a simple coughing-mixture or one cup of coffee too much could lead to being caught for doping usage... But do those racing cyclists really intent to use an extra cup of coffee to crush all of their opponents? And there's also the way of achieving improvement, of course. There's a difference between going on stage in the Rocky Mountains and taking EPO, but they *both* have the same effect - a higher production of red blood-corpuscles. Does that mean that training in the Rocky Mountains is also drug abuse? Of course not... I draw the line with EPO though, which is both dangerous and immoral ("the easy way out").
It's the eternal question, whether a means is considered to be a legal means of preperation or doping. In fact, last thing I heard was that they were going to scrap all non-dangerous and relatively "normal" products off the official doping lists.
Sorry Groj i dont mean to make a joke of you and this Tour De France but i cant say i like that sport so i dont look at it at all and i like more wintersports like skiing cross contry and that sorta thing!
Old 07-06-2002, 09:47 AM   #18
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
Sorry Groj i dont mean to make a joke of you and this Tour De France but i cant say i like that sport so i dont look at it at all and i like more wintersports like skiing cross contry and that sorta thing!
Don't worry, understandable sentiments and all... Some people think cycling is boring, others think that basketball is... To each his own. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 09:51 AM   #19
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
quote:
Don't worry, understandable sentiments and all... Some people think cycling is boring, others think that basketball is... To each his own. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Are you one of them ?
Old 07-06-2002, 10:40 AM   #20
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
quote:
quote:
Don't worry, understandable sentiments and all... Some people think cycling is boring, others think that basketball is... To each his own. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Are you one of them ? [/QUOTE]Regarding basketball you mean? I think that's the only sport in which *missing* the target is rarer than actually getting the ball in the net. I wouldn't be able to sit through a basketball match myself, not really my taste. Don't ask me for an explanation why sitting in front of the television for hours watching cycling when actually not that much is happening appeals more to me, though. And no, it's not that I'm a tv-a-holic or something similar, I hardly watch tv normally, actually.

[ 07-06-2002, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]