Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 01:56 PM   #31
Moiraine
Anubis

Moridin, Yorick, for a fair amount of people, it is not that they don't want to buy free range eggs (as an example), but that they just can't ! In our 'developed' countries, companies never stop trying to pay people less and less, and if they protest, the company just closes and goes away in a country where it can cut down salaries because people there have no choice.

I myself buy free range eggs, and am willing to pay more for stuff if it is made in a greener way, but I never forget that the fact that I effectively have this choice available is a luxury. I have had the luck to be born in France, the luck to be born in a middle class family, that gave me the luck to be able to pursue studies and get a good job and a good salary, but I will never forget that a lot of people around the world don't have that luck, and are not given choices. I fervently believe that foremost we must strive to create an economical balance between all countries, so as to lessen the power of today's big monster companies. Because if we don't, peaceful and humanist and green ideas will always get f***ed.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 04-10-2001, 02:12 PM   #32
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Thank you KDog, Moiraine and CB. It really does help.

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-10-2001, 02:15 PM   #33
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Moridin, Yorick, for a fair amount of people, it is not that they don't want to buy free range eggs (as an example), but that they just can't ! In our 'developed' countries, companies never stop trying to pay people less and less, and if they protest, the company just closes and goes away in a country where it can cut down salaries because people there have no choice.

I myself buy free range eggs, and am willing to pay more for stuff if it is made in a greener way, but I never forget that the fact that I effectively have this choice available is a luxury. I have had the luck to be born in France, the luck to be born in a middle class family, that gave me the luck to be able to pursue studies and get a good job and a good salary, but I will never forget that a lot of people around the world don't have that luck, and are not given choices. I fervently believe that foremost we must strive to create an economical balance between all countries, so as to lessen the power of today's big monster companies. Because if we don't, peaceful and humanist and green ideas will always get f***ed.

I don't think I've ever seen you swear before Moiraine! I know it's censored but still!

I agree with you about the earth healing itself. That's part of my issue about the temperature. How much is about natural long term 'seasons'?

Supporting your theory, did you know that Chernobyl is now apparently burgeoning with wildlife? The Wolf is now 'top dog' (you'd be happy with that eh Wolfgir?) as life has sprung up where humans fear to tread.

I also I agree re. free range eggs. However, the woman I mentioned was in Australia, referring to Australians, who have many brands of free range eggs to choose from.

They taste better IMO as well.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now? Goo goo goo choo?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-10-2001, 02:27 PM   #34
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

I have to disagree with you on this Moiraine. I don't think the cost of organic foods is a real issue, at least not in the US. I shop exclusively at an Organic Co-op and my grocery bills are no higher than they were when I shopped at the large super markets. I believe the issue with many people is that they don't care enough about the issue and they have the impression that 'organic' or 'free-range' foods cost more! One example in my city: 12 'regular' large eggs=$1.00 - $1.15.......12 'free-range' eggs = $1.27! I could see this being costly if you ate hundreds of eggs a week, but for one dozen it will not break the bank (even on a budget). Also I have found that organic rice when bought in bulk costs less than regular rice at the supermarket!

I do agree however that we do need to strive for economic equality in the world!

Thanks for taking the time to answer! Hope you are enjoying your stay at your parents

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 02:33 PM   #35
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Do you think global warming should be a top priority for world governments?
Yes, but it isn't glamourous enough so it won't

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption) yes, it was from Saturn Dealership and it was on car pollution.

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)
Yes, Cans are a favorite, but I also do newspaper and glass. And women, but that is for an entirely different paper.

How do you feel about Nuclear power as an energy source? Against or For
If against, why? Not sure if we are ready for that kind of potential menace, and there are better ways. We just have to make them more efficent.

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline? If they were more efficent and cost less over the lifetime, I would probably pay a couple of Grand more. But they should be able to make them for as much or less than the bad boys of Detroit can.

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
Yes

Who do you think is the main culprit of global warming
Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws
Yes.

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
Old 04-10-2001, 02:33 PM   #36
Moiraine
Anubis

Moridin, in France, greener products ARE more expensive, and more, they cannot be found everywhere, or all at the same place. I have to buy my eggs and chickens and vegetables at one market, meat at another, cheese at again another. And I know for a fact that when you have to feed a family of 4 persons with a low French salary, you have to pay attention to the price of every product. I don't have an opinion on how it is in the U.S., but I know how it is here. The fact is that you have to make additional efforts to buy green stuff. For some it is a matter of choice, for a lot of others, it isn't. Here at least.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 04-10-2001, 03:02 PM   #37
Absynthe

Alrighty Moridin, sorry I'm late in replying...

Do you think global warming should be a top priority for world governments?
Absolutely. We need to start thinking of ourselves as a global community and stop all the bullshit about national boundaries in re: global warming, pollution, biodiversity, stripmining, etc.

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
Multiple programs on Discovery channel, public television, the Learning Channel. Most recent was a show about global warming trends and the specific effect on the pacific northwest aquifers and marine species.

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions) Always. I also recycle by maintaining older vehicles rather than buying new ones. And before someone asks, I have retooled the engines to meet mid-90's emission requirements...best I could do with 30+ year old engines....

How do you feel about Nuclear power as an energy source? Against or For
If against, why?
For it with the caveat that we must make it safer and cleaner before we can use it.

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline? Depending on the cleanliness of the power source, probably double.

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
In a heartbeat. we currently heat with processed wood waste and light with candles. Our two-month electric bill is about $75.00

Who do you think is the main culprit of global warming
Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
Yes

Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
Yes

Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws
Yes

As a footnote, check into the application of Chaos theory and Self-Organizing Systems theory as it applies to the current global eco-health situation. fair warning: The results are far more frightening than a Stephen King novel...

Old 04-10-2001, 03:02 PM   #38
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Moridin, in France, greener products ARE more expensive, and more, they cannot be found everywhere, or all at the same place. I have to buy my eggs and chickens and vegetables at one market, meat at another, cheese at again another. And I know for a fact that when you have to feed a family of 4 persons with a low French salary, you have to pay attention to the price of every product. I don't have an opinion on how it is in the U.S., but I know how it is here. The fact is that you have to make additional efforts to buy green stuff. For some it is a matter of choice, for a lot of others, it isn't. Here at least.

Sorry Moiraine, my last post did not exactly get my point across. I agree that organic or green products are not always available or cheap. What I was trying to say is that in some places (i.e. any city in the US) organic foods are available and they are not more expensive. Here people have the choice to buy organic, but choose not to, b/c of the misinterpretation that they are more expensive and there is less variety!

I like to use my sister as an example of this. I buy a soy based 'fakin' bacon that costs around $3.00/16 ounces. It has no fat and no grease. My sister buys pork bacon that costs around $2.00/16 ounces, but has an enormous amount of grease and fat. I tried to get her to buy the fake bacon and try it, but she kept insisting that it was too expensive. She would go through two packs of pork bacon a week (family of 3), but I finally got her to buy the 'fake' bacon and she only used one pack for the whole week. This is because it has no fat/grease and you only have to cook half as much to get the same amount of actual 'food'. So she used to spend $4/wk and now spends $3/wk. It is 'deceptive' pricing that prevents people from trying organic.

Does this make any sense whatsoever or am I rambling?

------------------

Old 04-10-2001, 03:19 PM   #39
Absynthe

Moridin, in regards to the food issue: My wife and I recently made the switch to eliminate meats, eggs, and dairy products from our diet. In the last two months, I've lost 15 pounds, sleep better, have more energy, and just generally feel healthier. Our grocery bill is now under $250.00 monthly, and we're not consuming things that screw up the environment during their growth or processing.
O.K., bully for us....Here's the catch:
We can spend so little because the store we buy from, Trader Joe's, also sells high-priced gourmet items such as pates', prepared meats, cheeses, etc.. The fact that they make fat bank on that stuff allows them to sell the other food at a reasonable price.
We have the great good fortune to live in the strongest economy in the world, although I'm sure GW & co. will fix that soon... Anyway, the price we pay for our cheaper foods and greater selection is that the companies who offer these things to us usually also do the higher-profit but more damaging business also.
It seems that nothing is without a price, unfortunately.

Old 04-10-2001, 03:57 PM   #40
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Just bumping

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale