Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2001, 10:28 AM   #1
zeddicus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is it possible to range attack mobs only, without having to engage somebody in close combat? it seems like all of my fights, that the mob wants to come up and fight close quarters and some of the fights at level one get pretty tough because of low hp's. Thanks for any input on range weapon fighting strategies.
And btw for those who replied to my post on disc 2, thanks, found out that it was a manufacturers problem, just a bad disc.
zeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 10:41 AM   #2
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

It depends on the speed of the opposition. With dangerous -at low levels - foes like big ogres that are relatively slow it is wise to employ a hit and run attack with range weapons only, with fast enemy like all kind of wolves you need one or two designated melee fighters who should have the highest hps and be equipped in such a way that the have the lowest ac possible. Their main purpose is to draw the attackers' charge and avoid being hit, depending on the makeup of your party it is still possible that you deal out most damage with your range weapons. Also try spells like "Entanglement" (level 1 priest/druids) and "Web" (level 2 mage) to stop the opposition from charging.

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 10:43 AM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Glad to see you fixed the disk problem !

About ranged fighting, the usual general strategy is having 1 or 2 tanks with low ac and high hp, and let the others attack with ranged weapons from the back. I always equip my non fighting party members (mages, clerics...) with a ranged weapon like a sling so that they do something when they are not casting. Anyway, the most powerful ranged weapons are bows mainly, though there are some good crossbows too. I wouldnt recommend you to use darts or throwing daggers or axes (except for one cool throwing axe, you´ll notice when you find it).

Also be aware of not using ranged weapons at a close distance, cause you will suffer penalties.

hope this helps

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 11:53 AM   #4
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
Glad to see you fixed the disk problem !

About ranged fighting, the usual general strategy is having 1 or 2 tanks with low ac and high hp, and let the others attack with ranged weapons from the back. I always equip my non fighting party members (mages, clerics...) with a ranged weapon like a sling so that they do something when they are not casting. Anyway, the most powerful ranged weapons are bows mainly, though there are some good crossbows too. I wouldnt recommend you to use darts or throwing daggers or axes (except for one cool throwing axe, you´ll notice when you find it).

Also be aware of not using ranged weapons at a close distance, cause you will suffer penalties.

hope this helps

I disagree with Ertai, the wise Basque, on not using darts. For non-warriors classes with bad thac0 and whose base attacks per round ´remain at one they are quite effective as they give 3 attacks per round and those classes tend to need many tries to get one hit. Darts do not deal out major damage, but there are instances, when that does not matter like when you want to disrupt a spellcaster or destroy the "copies" of mage who has cast "Mirror Image" . There are also quite a few darts with powerful special damages like stunning or poisoning the opponent to be found in the game.

------------------
So long !

Old 04-01-2001, 12:00 PM   #5
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Maybe youre right, but the most annoying fact of the darts is that they cant be placed in the quiver slots, so you have to replace them in the weapon slots so many times (same with throwing daggers and axes).

ive always preferred slings, though i know they are very crappy (little damage, poor speed, no good amno), but at least they dont drive me mad

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 12:07 PM   #6
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
Maybe youre right, but the most annoying fact of the darts is that they cant be placed in the quiver slots, so you have to replace them in the weapon slots so many times (same with throwing daggers and axes).

ive always preferred slings, though i know they are very crappy (little damage, poor speed, no good amno), but at least they dont drive me mad

With that you are right on the money, Ertai. Darts have a nasty tendencies to clog up precious inventory slots in a hurry.

------------------
So long !