Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2001, 12:02 PM   #11
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

For effectiveness it depends, of course, on the situation and the sort of opposition you are facing.

On more general terms, I feel like anyone who does not make an effort to explore the wonderfully complex magic system in this game deprives him/herself of one of the best aspects of the game. But everybody is free to pursue is own way to eternal happiness.

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 04-01-2001, 12:33 PM   #12
Azred
Drow Priestess

Although he was speaking about the Force, I believe Darth Vader's quote applies also to magic: "The power of this station is insigificant next to the power of the Force." Note also that Artemis Entreri himself, easily one of the best three fighters in the world, knew that he could defeat battle mages when he could prepare the battlefield before a confrontation, but a properly prepared battle mage could easily defeat Entreri (and was doing so, until a timely intervention). In short, I believe magic is more powerful (but do read "The Art of War" for the benefits of proper preparation).

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 04-01-2001, 01:13 PM   #13
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
Although he was speaking about the Force, I believe Darth Vader's quote applies also to magic: "The power of this station is insigificant next to the power of the Force." Note also that Artemis Entreri himself, easily one of the best three fighters in the world, knew that he could defeat battle mages when he could prepare the battlefield before a confrontation, but a properly prepared battle mage could easily defeat Entreri (and was doing so, until a timely intervention). In short, I believe magic is more powerful (but do read "The Art of War" for the benefits of proper preparation).

I tend to agree with everyone's statements here. I personally prefer hack/slash over magic. Magic has to many problems in a lot of game worlds. Anti-magic zones (oh boy, mages have a hard time here), Wild magic (almost as bad as anti-magic), possibility of curses, and of course their low hitpoints. That's why I was suggesting a combination class. Otherwise, being a mage totally rocks. As long as you keep your mage healthy and up on their sleep, they are the best class. So, to cap it off, I think fighters are number one overall, but mages are cool for what they can do.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 04-01-2001, 01:20 PM   #14
slackerboyfx
Dungeon Master

neither!!! MONKS KICK ASS

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 01:22 PM   #15
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I recall an old signiture on the old board saying "If all else fails, charge in swinging"......
I prefer to use magic (an important support) to soften up enemies (during big fights like dragons), but the killing blow is usually either with Celestial Fury or Crom Faeyr by my berserker/mage. Like Tobbin said, both are good.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 04-01-2001, 03:06 PM   #16
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
hehe,i like both,but if it all boiled down to it,i would have to haveb a sword,and personaly i dont belive in Fighter/Mage,but i am roleplayer,keep in mind..
Old 04-01-2001, 04:04 PM   #17
dafan

A big fat sword rules

------------------
can you tell how it's to be a girl
Old 04-01-2001, 05:04 PM   #18
BG2SOA

I would choose magic because it's a lot more intresting,and there are so many things to do with magic,it's just nothing compared to swords.

------------------

Don't mess with the Lich
Old 04-01-2001, 07:10 PM   #19
Lord Shield

i played it as both. tanks were too esay. point at target, go. mage PC offers lots of fun and variety, definitely not tedious

Old 04-01-2001, 07:14 PM   #20
Hesperex

Damn good Rune Axe is all ye be needin for loppin that gobies ead rite of is scrawny little shoulders.

I couldn't say I actually prefur might to magic but I have noticed that when it boils down to it I usualy pull me axe out and wade on in.

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.