Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2001, 06:11 PM   #1
Firestarter
Elite Waterdeep Guard

what is the best range weapon in the game?
The best range weapon i've found is the mana bow, is there any good crossbows? and what good bolts is there?
Old 03-10-2001, 06:42 PM   #2
Lord Shield

There's a +3 bow you can buy in Trademeet (after the Druid quest) that requires no ammo. It hits critters requiring +3 weapons (such as metal golems) too

Old 03-10-2001, 11:28 PM   #3
Maestro_v69
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Spoiler:
.In the Underdark, after saving Adalon's eggs, I recieved a +3 light crossbow. Also, is you are looking for a short bow, I have not found one better than the Gesen Bow. Talk to Lt. Aegisfield in the Bridge district and follow that quest. The shaft can be found in a crate at the end of it, and the string in the asylum. Take them to Cromwell to have them reforged. However, since you apparently have been past Chapter 5, these weapons may be inaccessible to you if you have not found them already.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:32 AM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Potential SPOILERS:
>
>
>
>
>
Bows: As Lord Shield mentioned, the Tansheron's Bow is easily one of the best range weapon in the game.
Slings: Sling of Everard, this is a +5 sling that requires no ammo, the merchant that sells it is from the bonus(or collectors) CD. But the sling is already in the game and you can get it by either CreateItem or download the two bonus merchants.
Crossbows: I don't have too much exposure to this type of weapon, but my personal favorite is the Giant Hair Crossbow, sold at the Adventurers' Mart.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-11-2001, 07:18 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

There are some good crossbows in the game, here are some of the best that I have come across:

SPOILERS
Light Crossbow of Speed - ordinary +1 but with extra attack per round

Necaradon's Crossbow - light crossbow, THACO + damage +3

The Guide (heavy cb of accuracy) - THACO +5, damage +2 (I think)

Crossbow of Searing (heavy cb +1) - THACO +1, damage +3, +2 fire damage

Giant Hair Crossbow (heavy cb +3) - THACO +3, damage +5

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-11-2001, 07:43 AM   #6
Lord Shield

Something else you might want to consider isn't really a weapon. Melf's Minute Meteors gives you a hell of a ranged weapon - 1 bolt per level of caster. To me, it's like giving a mage an automatic weapon.

Old 03-11-2001, 07:56 AM   #7
demus
Manshoon

Yeah, I agree with all of you, but some other great one handed ranged weapons are:
Azure edge
the Fire Tooth Dagger and the Boomerang Dagger
the Rifthome Axe
along with all the other recomended weapons the others have mentioned, oh, and the four weapons I have mentioned return once thrown, so need no ammo .

------------------
Nicodemus Deathslayer, Paladin of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-11-2001, 08:01 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by demus:
Yeah, I agree with all of you, but some other great one handed ranged weapons are:
Azure edge
the Fire Tooth Dagger and the Boomerang Dagger
the Rifthome Axe
along with all the other recomended weapons the others have mentioned, oh, and the four weapons I have mentioned return once thrown, so need no ammo .

The Dwarven Thrower +3 does double damage when thrown.
The Boomerang Dagger does a shitload of damage (2d4) when thrown, more than the Rifthome or Azureedge, believe it or not.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-11-2001, 09:13 AM   #9
Lord Shield

Unfortunately the Dwarven Thrower is (quite naturally) only usable by Dwarves

Old 03-11-2001, 11:30 AM   #10
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I found myself using the elven one you find in Nalia's keep for most of the game.... then switching to Heartseeker (??)

Am i the only one thinking that the only real weapon class to get the best weapons was the swords?

------------------
[insert witty phrase here]