Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2001, 10:14 AM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Sojourner, wandering minstrel, skald! This is like watching the Great Outdoors on Channel 7, except you make a much better host than Ernie Dingo!
Old 02-21-2001, 10:37 AM   #22
Stealth Bomber

Jerome, he intended to visit last week, but delayed it till later because of our lovely weather. He thinks its too cold now? Boy is he in for a shock! We will have to get together when he comes. I didn't realize you lived in Scotland until today, when I saw your post. I live in Dundee, where are you moving too exactly?

Old 02-21-2001, 10:46 AM   #23
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Moiraine: You will have a wonderful time while he visits! Don't worry! Show him the castles and have a good time...er easy on the wine!

Cloudy
Old 02-21-2001, 03:28 PM   #24
draconia

WOW Yorick, what an experience. I hope your trip keeps going well and you keep meeting new friends. I would love to be able to see all the castles you have been able to see. I told my husband that I want to go to Europe just to see the castles. Good luck on the rest of your travels.

Old 02-22-2001, 04:36 AM   #25
Moiraine
Anubis

Just a little Bump to page 1 ...
Old 02-22-2001, 08:00 AM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Man you guys are amazing. I love coming and posting here. I'm glad you're enjoying the posts. I wish I had the time (and money) to write more. (LOL)

Draconia I hope you convince your hubby. The Castles are amazing, some ruined, some now museums, and some inhabited.
I drove to Liechtenstien yesterday. Purely because as a child I'd read about Liechtenstien and seen it on the map and been intrigued by its existence. Anyhow Castle Vaduz appears to be inhabited as a home. I could be wrong (bad Deutsch speaker that I am) but that was how it appeared. I went up the top of the Mountain it strode and had a taditional Swiss sausage with blaukraut and a form of Swiss grilled pasta, along with a couple of cups of famed Swiss hot chocolate (mmmmmm) while gazing out the old dark wooden window at the misty valley surrounded by snowcapped mountains.

I then drove south into San Bernadino (avoiding the freeway where possible) and saw volumes of snow that I hadn't seen since I was in Norway during the Lillehammer games. It was like a Santa Clause village. Very deep, and very plentiful. Until then I was getting worried the Prophets of doom re. the greenhouse were more accurate than ever.

Mind you how much is man made and how much part of the natural long term temperature shifting? Australia once had lakes where now there is salt. England was much warmer than it is now. The Sahara grows each year and the sea levels were once low enough to allow native Americans and Australians passage to their destinations. Doesn't mean we shouldn't stop pollution though, I just don't think we should be worried about changes so much. Adaptability is a major human trait after all. What do you guys think?

Moiraine thanks to your details of your crash I was very careful whenever I approached ice on the roads. Had a few scares when the car wouldn't stop near cliff drops, but I was being VERY careful, driving slow, avoiding braking and using hard turning or gears to slow down etc. No crashes or needing to hide spare tires. (Stealth Bomber that's a scream of a story mate)

Memnoch, Ernie Dingo would be a sound for sore ears after hearing no Australian for a week. My Italian is getting better though. It's empowering to be able to get around in a second language.

Lord Of Alcohol, when and where is Ozfest? I haven't heard about it There's a tour here in Switz that is using a boomerang as an icon, but they don't seem Aussie.

Thanks so much Zor, Bilqis, Reeka and Ladywendy My folks picked up two more books Lady!
Thanks again Cloudy, Wolf, and Jerome.

After south Switz. (Including the Lugano lakes... whew..) I dropped the car back in the chaotic maelstrom that is Northern Italy, and caught a train back to Zurich from Milan - which is what I should have done in the first place, but then wouldn't have seen all I had. (All's well that ends well)
The Swiss are lovely here, met some nice people on the train including a young violinist.

Moiraine if you but once think of becoming a small mouse I'll... I'll...

Have no worries. Thanks for the invite once again, and know that I'm looking forward to it.

Better go lads, back soon
Old 02-22-2001, 03:01 PM   #27
draconia

It would be great if I could convince my husband to take me to Europe. We have talked about going to Australia. We both would like to go there one day. I am glad that you drove careful. I have driven on icy roads and I know how scary they can be. I tend not go anywhere when it snows. I stay home where I know that me and my children will be safe. I am a little paranoid when it comes to my children. I will have to send you a picture of your new nephews and neice. Keep having fun on your travels and thank you for letting us know all of the neat stuff you get to see. Take Care.

Old 02-23-2001, 07:42 AM   #28
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yorick,hey i found this on page three and thought it needed bumped,so bump and how is the trip?
Old 02-23-2001, 10:51 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Ok. I'm going to be a little sexist for a moment and I dearly hope you girls don't think I'm super shallow, but I have to say the amount of beautiful women in what I've seen of Switzerland is astounding. That's all I'll say in case I get into trouble.

Oh, and I mean beautiful as in both external and internal, it's not like they're stunners with the personality of a toothbrush... and they seem to come from all over the world to here. The Domenican republic, Montenegro, Switzerland itself, what's the story?

Anyway Switz is sooooo beautiful. Just walked around the old town of Zurich by the lake and the river. They have these stalls that sell you a sausage wrapped in a bit of paper, and a hunk of bread with optional mustard. Sound boring? I thought so, but the bread is REALLY GOOD, and the sausages are REALLY TASTY. Interesting that such simpicity works. You hold the bread in one hand and the sausage in the other. Oh well, when in Rome....

Now I remember Moiraine talking about how the movies were all overdubbed in French. Well they do that here, but also to TV programs. It's really wierd seeing some funky black dude from an American sitcom talking Deutsch. Or Marge Simpson, or Fox Mulder, or Buffy. What gets me about this is that the vocal delivery is half of the actors job. The balding guy with glasses on the X-Files (Mulder's boss) for example has such a rich timbre to his voice that Europeans don't get to hear.

Also what happens in a movie like Dances with Wolves when they start talking in Souix? Or Braveheart when they start talking in French? I love seeing foriegn films with subtitles. It's considered "cultured" to do so, which was why dances with wolves was so unusual. Such 'maturity' from hollywood
Oh well viva le difference. I suppose it preserves the language and gives local actors work.
I can't help but remember 'Monkey' when I see it.

Till next time, Adieu.
Old 02-23-2001, 10:56 AM   #30
Moiraine
Anubis

Yorick,
Luc and me try to buy or record movies with subtitles when we can, but we still have a good lot of dubbed movies. I think Braveheart is among those (since we bought it before it was available to recording on TV, so maybe we have both versions). You'll see ! (Or, more accurately, you'll hear !)
Still coming tomorrow, are you ?