Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 02:16 PM   #1
Alson
Galvatron

I've played SoA for a few times with most NPC's, and i just got ToB and i want to play it with a custom 4 player party. im planning on this party:

1) A Ranger/Cleric (half-elf, Multiclass, CG) - my fav class. he'll do most of the fighting and he's my cleric. Profs in: flails (FoA and DoE), War hammers (CF), maces and 2 weapon style,
2) A Fighter/Thief (halfling, Multiclass, NG) - a very vestaile class. She can fight well, and i've been told she rulz with ToB abilities. Profs in: 2 handed sword (carsomyr with use any item), QS (staff of striking --> ram) for backstab, and crossbow for firetooth, and 2 handed weapon style.
3) A Sorceress (elf, LN) - my main spellcaster.

So my question is about the forth char. I want somebody who can cast spells and fight, and I want someone HIGHLY stylish... here's were i need help:
What will be better for this party: a stylish Blade, or a devastating multi Fighter/Mage? (Both armed with 2 long swords)
And i will like to hear tips about how to use the selected char.

Thanx in advance - Alson
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

First off, about your Fighter/Thief's choice of weapons, I don't think you can backstab with either two handed swords or quarterstaves.

Now about the choice between a Blade and a Fighter/Mage... Hmm, that's a rather tough one. The Fighter/Mage (multiclass I presume?)will be better at both fighting and casting spells. Blades only get to cast spells up to level six, whereas Fighter/Magi go all the way up to level nine, including the tenth level spells they get in ToB. Blades on the other hand are, as you said, more stylish, they add some 'flavour' to your party. They're also a bit more versatile: they can pick pockets, they're good at identifying items, and in ToB they get Improved Bard Song, which can really help out at some times. They also get some of the Thief's high level abilities.

So, basically, this is a question about whether you want to go with brute force or style and versatility. I personally would choose the Blade, because I like bards, but I guess you'll just have to see for yourself.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:38 PM   #3
Nifft the Nimble

Hi Alson!

Go with the Blade. It's more stylish and will make a great leader for your party. Don't be too quick to put give the blade a pair of long swords, though: Blades can be very deadly missile fighters. If you are going to give the Blade two weapons, go for Scimitars. Weilding the Scarlet Ninja-To in one hand and Belm in the other will give him 4 attacks, 5 with Boots of Speed or Offensive Spin... and 10 with Improved Haste, which is more sustainable than Greater Whirlwind. (Scarlet Ninja-to requires Use Any Item ability.)

Don't get me wrong, Fighter/Mages are forces to contend with. But a Blade will buy you several nice things, especially if he's your main character (Bhaalspawn, protagonist, what have you).

First, everyone else will start off higher level, because you will be higher level. (That wonderful thieves' level up chart!)

Second, you will be higher level. This means that you will be able to summon Skeletal Warriors very, very early (before Spellhold is my guess). It also means that you'll have a more potent Dispel Magic than any character save an Inquisitor.

On a different topic, I think that you *can* backstab with a Quarterstaff. Finally, do consider the merits of a Half-Orc fighter/thief. He won't start out with a 19 dexterity or tons of free thief skill points, but 19 strength gives a nasty backstab and 19 constitution means he can surivive without the stoneskins that everyone else gets.

Good luck and much enjoyment!

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 10:46 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You seem to be 'neglecting' the Bows and great 1-handed Swords in the game.....I personally would build a Human Fighter, get a few points in Swords, Single Weapon, and Longbow, then Dual to Mage. Even when your character's at his/her weakest, they're just as weak as a normal Mage--but with over 100 hitpoints. Then you get your weapons back, and you're the bow-totin' spellcaster o' doom. Plus, slap your armor back on for a quick brawl in an alley, and say....(idea)....if you've got the HP of a Fighter, will Tenser's double THAT? Hmm.....