Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The people that were blessed/cursed to see my previous module may not even be around anymore! Thus, I am out of a team of sampler explorers. By the way, that module got accidently destroyed when I did not take steps to ensure its safety when I rebuilt my computer, and also too many haks kinda messed it up. So, I am finally getting around to rebuilding somethng, but it is a new idea with hints of the previous one.

This is what I have.

A terrible man lived long ago that delighted in the shedding of blood and the slavery of many peoples. He studied the dark arts of Shadow Magic that the Netherese had begun to discover, and learned many secrets from that. He also created an immortal-like existance for himself. His followers revered him as a God and lived in fear under his reign.

As all things, he was destined to fall. A great sorcerer of those days captured his evil soul and placed it in a prison. The sorcerer then placed guards of unnatural life around it to prevent anyone from ever discovering and releasing the foul man again into the world.

Now, you may be wondering why you would care, since the vial is safe, hidden and protected...if the story is even true. It would be nice, except for the fact that the creatures of darkness have finally discovered its hiding place adn are determined to get it back for themselves. Why would you be concerned if they tried? Isn't it supposed to be well guarded? Do you want to take that chance?

This is what I have pieced together so far. I love creating monsters that would turn level 20 characters into mush in a matter of seconds. I love making alot of nice-looking special effects that nobody has seen the likes of before. I like making plots of very interesting and clear reasons why you would even be where you are. I also like using the proper creatures in thier proper enviroments. There's no way you will fight past 10 levels of undead to finally reach a room where a living tiger will attack you. The deeper you go into the game, the more vile and terrible the beasts become. That would of course mean that you will probably see Pit Fiends and lava in deepest pit. See what I mean?

So...if anybody would like to become a volunteer tester, lemme know. I need somebody that will have patience with me as well as creative advice. You will get the credit you deserve.

Thanks.

[ 08-03-2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Oops, I forgot...I need some help. I never have been able to successfully link one place to another. Right now, if somebody could only tell me how to link two portals in the same room to one another, that is all I need at this time. Later, when I am ready, I will need to know how to link areas...but not right now. Thanks.

[ 08-03-2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-03-2003, 11:15 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Check this link, Larry. Section 3 is what you're after. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 11:21 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah read that tutorial if you haven't already as it seems to cover the basics. If you're still in need - especially about them portals - post here, be glad to help.

[ 08-03-2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 08-04-2003, 10:35 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Well...the good news is that I was able to connect two doors in two different areas together and make the transition. Now...portals are different. They do not have area transistion tabs to be able to setup the move. Note, the portals I am trying to link are in the same room. Later, I will do other portals that take you outside the area...but we'll get to that later. Thanks! Any help is appreicated, since the tutoral did not cover portals.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:46 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hey Larry,
The easiest way is too draw an area transition trigger inside the portal and link it to a way point at the destination and vice-versa. An area transition trigger has the same area transition property tab as a door, so the process is the same. with the additional step of creating destination waypoints and giving them unique tags.

You can find the area transition trigger under the triggers menu.

Otherwise you can also do it through scripting to a conversation with the portal to choose different destinations for example. This method takes more effort and more know-how, but dont be afraid to ask how. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-04-2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 08-04-2003, 10:53 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Oh yeah, I would be happy to playtest for you or help in anyway really. Just ask and I'll Pm you my email if you want to email me the mod, or provide the link if you put it up at the nwvault or something.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:10 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks alot! I will certainly call if I need it. I am going to go try the thing with the portals now...and maybe make another area or two. I don't want my ideas to be lost! At the moment, I don't have much yet, and I am slow...but will promise to try and speed things up. I want to make one that makes Ziroc have competition!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It works! I can now use the portals like doors! Yeah! One important note: The portals themselves have to be taken off Static and off usable before they work because you have to be able to walk "through" the object in order to catch the waypoint tag. It took me a few tries to realize that. Now that I am in a good learning mood...is there anything else I should be made aware of?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:55 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes perhaps there is. You can also easily make usable portals, as in the kind the PC clicks on and then chooses where to go. This can be useful because sometimes people walk in the wrong spot and may be teleported accidently. With this method they can easily tell the portal they want to go 'Nowhere right now' like in the NWN's OC.

If this is something you need let me know and I'll show ya how.