Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2003, 11:27 AM   #1
Buja
Welcomed New User

I've just finished BG2 SoA+ToB, and now I would like to buy NWN.. But before I do that, I would like to hear how it's working? is there 5 on each server or 100? can you split up? I've heard that there is a lot of ways to play it online, is that true? - and how are theese ways?
Buja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:10 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Overall consensus is that NWN is working great in multiplayer (there are a few issues that seem to be related to specific machines, but nothing that is an overall problem).

Server sizes will vary considerably with anywhere from 6 (for private group servers) all the way up to 96 people online at the same server (largest server i have seen). A lot of variation here. Some are persistent worlds, many are DM hosted, others are more free-form. Some are hack'n'slash; others strongly encourage role-playing - again the variety is endless. There ARE some PK / griefer problems that DO occur - unfortunately.

You don't HAVE to connect to an outside operated server. You can always get a group of friends together to play online, whether it's the original campaign, the SoU expansion or one of the 1000+ custom made modules that are available from the ignvault.

Edit: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-29-2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #3
Buja
Welcomed New User

Thank you..
But I want to play it with a lot of other players.. I think it's cool, like everquest with some D&D rules.. But can you walk around alone? Or as a hole party? I think it's confusing how it works with a story with 96 other players who is in it.. But I think that I'm just going to buy and try.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Buja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Micah did a good job of explaining the game. I will just expoud a little, if I may. I prefer playing in a small party of friends that I know...like from this forum. Sometimes, I will find a game that is fun to play online, but there will only be one or two other people there. I do not like a crowded game, so 96 players at once would make me quit fast. I am hoping to one day build my own module...though I have started many, never have finished any of them...and them people can come play in my world.
The game is definately worth owning. There is so much to do with it, it's incredible.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Larry, my question is that let's say my broter, brother-in-law, and I all get the game. I live in NJ and they both live in Pennsylvania. Now this is where my TOTAL ignorance about online multiplayer comes because I have only ever played solo. How does one go about a) connecting as a private party? and b) connect with more than one person? Thanks.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:41 PM   #6
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

If just your group wanted to play together and have no one else play. Hopefully one of you would have high speed internet access. That person would host a game with a password that he would give to the other people playing either through e-mail or over the phone. This still can all be done through dial up but would be nicer it at least one person had high speed. If everyone has high speed access then whoever has the best computer should host it. Also you could download the server version and if you have a nice spare computer it could run as the game server. The gamer server is free and can be downloaded from http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/standaloneserver.html. The video card on this computer does not matter because it will not be running any graphics. Also if you want to play on a server already running you all just stick together.

When you setup the server you can tell it how many people can connect. This setting does not matter too much in your case because only people with the password would be able to play. I should also state that the "server" means whatever computer that is hosting the game. It could be your computer that you are also playing from. If you have a spare computer you can setup and leave running it is kind of nice because if you crash or need to check e-mail, go to dinner or whatever the "server" computer would still be up and running. If you want to you could also buy another copy of the game and run on the "server" in the DM client so you hop in there and do some of the cool DM things if you need to from time to time. That is not to say you could not do that from your pc connected to another server. You just have to get out of your game then connect back in as the Dm client, do what you want, then get out and back in again as you character. You get the idea. I do not think if you are playing and are the server you can get out and come back in as the DM. I have not tried it but I do not think you can.

Granamere

[ 07-29-2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:20 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Albromor wrote :

Quote:
Larry, my question is that let's say my broter, brother-in-law, and I all get the game. I live in NJ and they both live in Pennsylvania. Now this is where my TOTAL ignorance about online multiplayer comes because I have only ever played solo. How does one go about a) connecting as a private party? and b) connect with more than one person? Thanks.
Simply decide who is the host. Best connection, best computer. As Granamere said you can do this all on 56k since you have a small amount of people. Hosting a gme is easy, you can do it through the DM client choosing Multiplayer and then New Game or through NWserver which you will find in your NWN's main directory (default C: Program files/ Neverwinter Nights then click on NWserver choosing the module you want to play and then loading it up.

Granamere wrote :

Quote:
I do not think if you are playing and are the server you can get out and come back in as the DM. I have not tried it but I do not think you can.
Sure ya can, I do it all the time in my arena [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 07-30-2003, 07:03 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Agreeing with what has been previously said.

Also, I just wanted to mention...you can build your own game or download a game onto your PC and then you would turn that game on and you'd be the first person in that game,,,then your family members would sign in by finding your IP address and they would appear into your game that you had running on your PC. Is that sound simple enough? Do you still have quesitons? Don't worry. I asked the exact same questions more than once when I first started this.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:36 AM   #9
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Anybody mind if I ask some newbie questions too?

--waits a tic--

Right.

1. If you download a module, do you have to have a human dm to play?

2. Is it possible to solo a module?

3. Anybody here eaten mountain oysters before?
Old 08-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Mopery:
Anybody mind if I ask some newbie questions too?

--waits a tic--

Right.

1. If you download a module, do you have to have a human dm to play?

2. Is it possible to solo a module?

3. Anybody here eaten mountain oysters before?
1. Depends on the module

2. yes, lots of nice solo modules available.

3. Not no, but hell no.

Check here for over 2,500 modules to choose from. The hall of fame as alot of the "choice" modules, most of which are single player that require no DM.

Check here for some IW members favorite modules.