Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 09:03 AM   #51
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
The US can't get a fair shake at the UN with its 1 vote for 250 Million people staring down the barrel of all the EU votes. Why do you think the US is forced to throw its political weight around so much, play EU nations off of each other, and walk away from the UN table?
Are you kidding? The US has a power equal to an infinite number of separate votes - it's called the power of veto. And the US has never been afraid to use it.

And *that* is where the real unfairness lies. Why should one nation be allowed to veto a decision made by the whole world?

And in any event, why would the US want to remove the vote from the UK and hand it over to the EU when the majority of EU states would almost certainly want its vote to be cast in an opposite direction to the US on virtually every major issue; from Iraq to Palestine, from global warming to the environment???

[ 06-04-2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Skunk ]
Old 06-04-2003, 09:05 AM   #52
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
do you guys always have to find something to fight about?????
geez come on let every country decide their own paths, and let the people who are the country vote their way
But if those seperate countries become one nation, why should they get the international votes of many nations? This is an international issue, not just a national issue. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Besides, it's fun.
[/QUOTE]For the last time... we are NOT one nation. Never were, and hopefully never will be.

And you're right... it IS fun.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:20 AM   #53
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Great [img]smile.gif[/img] I agree one vote per government...so either the EU = 1 government OR I'll have the representative from maryland send his vote in along with the other 49 state governments [img]smile.gif[/img]
Don't get smartass with me homeboy, I invented smartass
State governments don't count unless you wanna count the seperate governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as opposed to just one UK vote and maybe even the regions in Germany such as Essen and Bavaria with seperate votes. They all have a few million population like some states in USA. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The USA has one head of state so it has 1 government and 1 vote! [img]tongue.gif[/img] All EU nations have their own heads of state! One vote per head of state! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Skunk - that's one smartass sig you have there but it ain't as good as it thinks! Everyone knows that your IP address is written on every IP packet you send and that browsers identify themselves to servers so it's easy to say what browser I have. Although with Opera you can identify as any of the major browsers [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-04-2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 06-04-2003, 09:29 AM   #54
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
The USA has one head of state so it has 1 government and 1 vote! [img]tongue.gif[/img] All EU nations have their own heads of state! One vote per head of state! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

LLAO ok young whipper snapper, each of our states has a head of state..we call them governors [img]smile.gif[/img] See, I view the EU as a fledgling US,you all aren't quite as organized as you will be, but inthe end, you are going to basicly have a bunch of nation/states with their heads of state reporting to the uberlord or el presidente or whatever the guy will eventually be called. [img]smile.gif[/img] I still only see semantic differences between a mature EU and the USA so Eu=1 and USA =1 and Russia =1 and China =1 and India =1 vote [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for Skunk's sig...I just find it annoying but apparently it doesnt violate TOS for him to collect such nformation via our association at IW.

[ 06-04-2003, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 06-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #55
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
Why should one nation be allowed to veto a decision made by the whole world?
There is only one real reason for the vetos. The UN is a party the US/France/China/UK/Russia started and steer, and you can accept the way it is or leave. Note: I did not say this was a *just* reason.
Quote:
And in any event, why would the US want to remove the vote from the UK and hand it over to the EU when the majority of EU states would almost certainly want its vote to be cast in an opposite direction to the US on virtually every major issue; from Iraq to Palestine, from global warming to the environment???
Well, I think we'd give up our UK ally vote to get France and Germany off our backs, for instance. One friendly vote from the EU cannot outweigh all the opposing votes. Simple math.

Of course, this whole issue is a bit silly and hypothetical. So far, the only real thing I've taken out of it is the part of my post you quoted Skunk: that the voting system is perhaps one reason the US has no choice but to throw its economic/political weight around to get what it wants.

Of course, I'm not claiming the US would abstain from doing that if the voting were fair.