Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2002, 11:12 AM   #11
Arvon
Unicorn

Well welcome to the club. They happen every where. The largest in the US was in the southeast in the early 1800's.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 04-20-2002, 11:13 AM   #12
Moni

I am glad you are OK too Mark!
Even in the 5 point range they can be scary!!!
I was in one in Hawaii...5.3...on the 7th floor of Tripler Army Medical Center, which was, at that time, the maternity ward!
Floors waving, walls rippling...I was awestruck until it was all over and I realized how high off the ground I was...then I nearly wet my pants LOL!
I am so glad you are OK!
*HUGS*

[ 04-20-2002, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 04-20-2002, 11:33 AM   #13
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I wonder if a huge one will ever hit Vancouver. My great Aunt and Uncle live there and I hope THERE WILL NEVER BE ONE!!!
Old 04-20-2002, 11:49 AM   #14
Alexander
Drow Warrior

You know, I woke up early this morning to find the house shaking and things rattling (nothing breaking, though). I thought it was just a dream, but I guess not.

Weird.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:09 PM   #15
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

we get Earthquakes in Cuba too. They mostly come as the aftershocks from other nearby carribean islands and other underwater eruptions. Cuba, from what i've seen of it, has little if no evidence supporting that it may, in fact, be Volcanic. Most of the surface is desert, formed from Coral. Our beaches are of WHITE sand too. Which also supports coral. Our hills are mostly white, and so are large sections surrounding water. HOWEVER at some beaches there are bits of black sand mixed with white... it is quite odd... and also: On the main road, driving up to David's house from mine, near the post office, there is a large BLACK rock that just JETS OUT in a sea of white and brown. And it is SO black that it is a volcanic-type black. This single standing rock, along with some odd evidence given by our mudd makes me wonder if, infact, Cuba was a gigantic coral bed that had been lifted UP by volcanic eruptions, and if that is the case... then... eruptions COULD end up happening around here... some day... any day... @_@ then again, the rock could just happen to be a really impacted mound of dirt that had caught fire... somehow... The hills are constantly aflame with burning sugar caine... I'm not sure though... hmm maybe some day, when Geologists can examine cuba, we can understand how the island came to be more...

That also reminds me, that there is a small part of cuba that has these odd cave drawings. They are made up of spirals and circles, there also are numerical tables and tablets written into the walls along with some primitive cave drawings. What is frightening is that there seems to be evidence supporting the concept of ZERO and the Spirals themselves seem to show NO ACTUAL PURPOSE 0.o go figure... it's not too odd though for us to have a little tremor and every now and then. Its more of just a loud BUMP then a rattling. I still have all of my gundam's feet glued down...
Old 04-22-2002, 04:35 AM   #16
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
That also reminds me, that there is a small part of cuba that has these odd cave drawings. They are made up of spirals and circles, there also are numerical tables and tablets written into the walls along with some primitive cave drawings. What is frightening is that there seems to be evidence supporting the concept of ZERO and the Spirals themselves seem to show NO ACTUAL PURPOSE 0.o go figure...
That's fascinating! It seems that spirals and circles are very common in ancient art - certainly the ancient Celts were crazy about the things, and spirals, circles, mazes and 'cup and ball' markings are common on standing stones here. I don't think it supports the idea of a concept of zero though (thought to have originated in India c. 6000 BC - although it is certainly a possiblity that the idea had reached ancient Britain but Cuba might be pushing it LOL! - one heck of a journey!) - it is more likely that a circle represented a totality, spirals are endless, so could represent the endless cycle of the seasons -that sort of thing is more feasible. Unfortunately I guess we'll never know for sure - maybe they just look pretty!

And as far as the drawings having no purpose - well much of what we call 'art' today doesn't seem to have much purpose on the face of it, but often carries a message, and there is plenty of art produced for no reason other than aesthetics.

[ 04-22-2002, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 04-22-2002, 04:38 AM   #17
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
I wonder if a huge one will ever hit Vancouver. My great Aunt and Uncle live there and I hope THERE WILL NEVER BE ONE!!!
not too likely, although possible.
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:51 AM   #18
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
we get Earthquakes in Cuba too. They mostly come as the aftershocks from other nearby carribean islands and other underwater eruptions. Cuba, from what i've seen of it, has little if no evidence supporting that it may, in fact, be Volcanic. Most of the surface is desert, formed from Coral. Our beaches are of WHITE sand too. Which also supports coral. Our hills are mostly white, and so are large sections surrounding water. HOWEVER at some beaches there are bits of black sand mixed with white... it is quite odd... and also: On the main road, driving up to David's house from mine, near the post office, there is a large BLACK rock that just JETS OUT in a sea of white and brown. And it is SO black that it is a volcanic-type black. This single standing rock, along with some odd evidence given by our mudd makes me wonder if, infact, Cuba was a gigantic coral bed that had been lifted UP by volcanic eruptions, and if that is the case... then... eruptions COULD end up happening around here... some day... any day... @_@ then again, the rock could just happen to be a really impacted mound of dirt that had caught fire... somehow... The hills are constantly aflame with burning sugar caine... I'm not sure though... hmm maybe some day, when Geologists can examine cuba, we can understand how the island came to be more...

That also reminds me, that there is a small part of cuba that has these odd cave drawings. They are made up of spirals and circles, there also are numerical tables and tablets written into the walls along with some primitive cave drawings. What is frightening is that there seems to be evidence supporting the concept of ZERO and the Spirals themselves seem to show NO ACTUAL PURPOSE 0.o go figure... it's not too odd though for us to have a little tremor and every now and then. Its more of just a loud BUMP then a rattling. I still have all of my gundam's feet glued down...
as far as i can see southcuba forms the northermost boundary of the caribbian plate wich moves east. thus, this boundary is rather a transform fault and the occurenca of earthquakes and volcanism is higly likely. there should be a major earthquake every 100-150 yrs, i think. cuba being a coral bed, lifted by eruptions is in my opinion absolutely impossible. although i can imagine that lots of coral debris formed your beaches. the black rock you spoke about can however be some kind of bomb remaining from an ancient eruption. BTW. Cuba is geologically queite well examined, if u are really interested in that questions you can just look it up.
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:21 AM   #19
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

lol on average there is one a day in NZ.

mostly small ones though (phew!) you can only feel them if you are still, and it is near.

There have been quite a few big ones though in the past. Thankfully none recently.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas