Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2001, 09:26 AM   #1
Rikard

Can anyone tell me what caused the time of trouble
And What happend during the time of trouble (who killed who and stuff)

------------------

Help me create A Fantasy Realm with your imagination

Old 05-22-2001, 11:42 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

OK, this is basically what happened - in summary form. I've tried to keep it vague while giving you the info you need. This information contains some MAJOR SPOILERS from the Avatar Trilogy, so if you want to read that, don't scroll down any further.

The Time of Troubles refer to the Year of Shadows (1358 DR) which was the year that the gods of Faerun were cast from the heavens by Lord Ao, the Overlord of the Gods. The catalyst for this was the theft of the gods-wrought Tablets of Fate, which defined what each god's role was, by Bane, God of Strife, and Myrkul, God of the Dead. Angered at this affront, Ao threw the gods out of the Outer Planes, except for Helm, God of Guardians, who he gave the task of guarding the Celestial Stairways to prevent the fallen gods from re-entering their planar realms.

All the gods had to take avatars while on Faerun in what became known as the Time of Troubles. Magic went wild, dead zones and wild magic zones were created due to rips and tears in the magical Weave that layered Faerun. Some of these remain to this day.

I won't go into the storyline too much, but suffice to say that four mortals undertook an epic quest to find the Tablets of Fate. These mortals were the warrior Kelemvor, the mage Midnight, the cleric Adon and the thief Cyric.

A number of gods died during this turbulent period. Among them were:
  • Mystra, Goddess of Magic, slain by Helm at the top of the Celestial Stairway outside Castle Kilgrave in Cormyr
  • Bane and Torm, God of Duty, in combat with each other outside Tantras
  • Bhaal, God of Murder, slain by Cyric at Boareskyr Bridge, to the north of Baldurs Gate
  • Myrkul, slain by Midnight atop Blackstaff Tower in Waterdeep[/list]The quest culminated with Cyric and Midnight being promoted to godhood. For his vile actions, Cyric became God of Strife, Death and Murder (he was also known as the Lord of the Three Crowns) while Midnight became Mystra, Goddess of Magic. Cyric also killed Kelemvor atop Blackstaff Tower on that cataclysmic final day.

A decade after this, Kelemvor also ascended to godhood by overthrowing Cyric in his realm in Hades. Kelemvor then became known as Lord Death.

------------------
Old 05-22-2001, 12:02 PM   #3
dominions
Elminster

Do you mean The Time of Troubles based in the Forgotten Realms?
If so:

[ THIS IS A POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR THE AVATAR TRILOGY...
DON'T WANT TO KNOW MORE?
THEN DON'T READ THE REST OF THIS POST - dominions ]

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
The Time of Troubles was caused by the gods of the Faerunian pantheon forgetting their responsibilities (i.e. not collecting the souls of their worshippers when they die, not paying attention to their worshippers, squabbling amongst themselves, etc.). The catalyst for the whole affair was the theft of The Tablets of Fate which listed all the reponsibilies of the gods (ironic or what?).
All the gods were booted out of the plains into the Realms by AO, the over-god of the Realms, until the Tablets were recovered. This period in which the gods wandered the Realms was the actual Time of Troubles.
The fact that the gods were not present to manage their respective portfolios and that they actaully battled each other in the Realms, wreaked havoc - the dead did not actually die properly, whole forests got up and attacked cities, magic dead zones appeared (the Helmlands), etc..
Most of these problems were resolved when the Tablets were recovered and the Gods were restored to the plains (well, most of the Gods were). The Helmlands are still there and magic was affected (going from 1st Edition to 2nd Edition rules) though.

If you want to know more then read the following:
The Avatar Trilogy (3 novels)
Prince of Lies (novel)
The Crucible (novel)
Forgotten Realms Adventures (ad&d campaign book)

Hope this helps

------------------
...Lister sighed like a burst tyre...
Old 05-22-2001, 12:49 PM   #4
Rikard

Thanks the both of you

Ehm The Thing is The Time Of Trouble is the Start of "My" Realm
And a New Godhood Gahp

------------------

Help me create A Fantasy Realm with your imagination

Old 05-22-2001, 01:05 PM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

I don't recall the part about Kelemvor...

Which novel(s) apply to that, "...a decade later Kelemvor...", part?

Thanks!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-22-2001, 10:08 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
I don't recall the part about Kelemvor...

Which novel(s) apply to that, "...a decade later Kelemvor...", part?

Thanks!

Prince of Lies and Crucible. Both must-reads.

------------------