Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2002, 08:46 PM   #1
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Hi I have just recently got into roleplaying (Vampire the Masquerade)
But I have never played any D&D(I have played AD&D Computer games for years though you, gotta love em).

Anyway my birthday is coming up and I was planning on getting a few rule books and starting a gaming group. But I am unsure as to what to start playing Vampire or D&D. I have a feeling that I would perfer playing D&D because it's more my sort of setting (I love fantasy), but I have had no experience with D&D. So I now have a Dilema my funds arn't great enough to start both so I could:

1. Start D&D, I think I will like it better but seeing as I have never played I cant be sure.

or

2. Stay with Vampire the Masquerade which I am familiar with and like, but by doing so might be missing somthing better.

What should I choose any body out there play both games?
Which do you consider better?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2002, 09:03 PM   #2
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

I would get the D&D rulebooks. The 3rd Ed is great, but different from the 2nd Ed. (which is used in the CRPGs), but IHO the 3rd Ed. makes playing easier, especially for the DM.
The second reason is, assuming that you are playing Vampire as player not as gamemaster, that it is much more fun playing Vampire without knowing all the rules and things about the game.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:57 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Never having played Vampire the masquerade I cn anīt sya that any game is better then the other but I can say this. From playing alot of different games you get more ideas, you develope yourself a bit more. Try to play a campaign of Vampire and read the rules for 3:ed, then play a game of 3:ed, read more rules for Vampire, and so on. Finally after a couple of campaigns you will see that your way of playing have changed alot and that the versality in having two games make for more interesting meetings with your friends and you wonīt grow boored with either of them or you might find one alot better and more fun then the other.

I think you should go for two different games actually. Gives you more ideas and can make new campaigns more rewarding both for playing and leading. However, do that which you like the most and try try and try!

Good luck with your RPG experience!

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 02-13-2002, 08:02 AM   #4
norompanlasolas

well, i played both and i can safely say that they are both good and bad. it all depends the way you play them and who you play them with.

and they are very very different. vampire is more serious, dark and roleplay oriented whilst d&d is more... munchkin like (lets get on that dungeon and whack some orcs! type). both have its advantages and disadvantages. d&d would be good to have a different aproach to rpgs if youve only played vampire so far. so buy those books (if you can afford them) and give them a try.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:14 PM   #5
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Thanx for the replies
Old 02-13-2002, 09:11 PM   #6
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah the best advice, if you think you'd enjoy a fantasy setting, is to pick up a copy of the Players Handbook for D&D and give it a whirl. Though they are both RPG's I'd have to agree that they are very different games. Thanks to the versatility of a DM (or GM) led game, though, you've got a lot of freedom as to how you aproach things. It's possible to have a combat fest in Vampire just as it's possible to sit around talking for a whole session in D&D.

At the end of the day, D&D is a great game, the mother of all RPG's and I'd recommend anyone interested in roleplaying to check it out, particularly if you enjoyed the computer games.

Thats my sales pitch anyway. Have fun!
Old 02-18-2002, 05:59 PM   #7
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Got my first rule book today "The Players Handbook", next up the DM guide and monster guide.