Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Let's see...

I have version 5, if that matters.

1. Go to the player.
2. Right-hand side, there is a button on the player called "select source". Click, (or CTRL+O).
3. Select "Open Media Files"
4. Menu called "Edit Playlist" comes up.
5. Bottom left, tab says "File Types" next to one called "Browser".

There they are.

Another idea, in Add/Remove Programs from Windows XP, Home ed. you can select WMP to be the default player or Current Player to be so...but I do not think that was what you were asking for.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Larry, doesn't that just determine which media files are displayed when you're browsing for media types?

I suppose what I'm looking for is to make WMP the default media player for all media files except for DVDs (which are .vob files if I recall correctly?).

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:35 PM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The only way I know of to make WMP the default player is what I mentioned above in the last part...in Add/Remove Programs from Windows XP, Home ed. you can select WMP to be the default player. Then in WMP settings, remove the option for it to play DVDs? I am stuck on knowing whether or not that will help...because somehow my stuff just works on its own.

Actually, I have elves come in and set everything up while I am asleep. I have no real idea how the do it.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

DVD burning? Try kerosene.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 AM   #15
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Larry, doesn't that just determine which media files are displayed when you're browsing for media types?

I suppose what I'm looking for is to make WMP the default media player for all media files except for DVDs (which are .vob files if I recall correctly?).
Yeah like Larry said I'd just go in WMP and check everything except DVD. My version of power DVD only play DVD.

I hate it when programs set themselves as default at installation. They all do that too. You can't install anything without it messing up your computer.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:51 AM   #16
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I installed the powerdvd software on this rig, and it didn't default, there is a check box that you can either check, or uncheck, to make it be the default player. If not, you can go into the Windows Media Player, and set it to default, as outlined above. The other method is to turn off autorun, and insert dvd, and start the player you want from the desktop. A little more work, but makes sure you are getting what you want.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #17
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

This is an update to the conversation that happened over a year ago. I did not want to start a new thread on it because this one contains good info.

As mentioned, I have version 5 that came with the DVD-ROM I bought. I have since begun to watch more DVDs on the computer now that I have a new LCD screen and I am thinking of upgrading my Cyberlink to a newer, whole version. However, I cannot seem to find this in stores anywhere and cannot figure out why. I mean, the software is great and all, but it can only be bought from online sellers. That seems wrong to me.

As mentioned above from Memnoch, Nero was the worst of all he tried for playing movies. Have they become better since he said that? What about Roxio or Pinnacle? Are they just editing and production softwares?

One more thing. Whenever I place a DVD in the ROM and do not have the Cyberlink already open, the DVD tries to get me to register with some other type of player and tries to install some kind of junk on my PC. I usually try to remember to have PowerDVD running before placing a DVD in the drive. What is that program that is trying to get me to say yes to? Is it just some kind of anti-piracy thing?
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #18
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I feel strangely compelled to report you for necromancy.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I love using this [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #20
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Largely Larry, I'd say yes. Some come with their own player, but I'm very suspect of anything after Sony's little gig.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote