Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 09:23 PM   #1
Nanu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Please help, I have been through crypt one, area three on maps, and can't find the first key...I've moved on to crypt two but need the first key...I did not find any buddha statue as suggested two statues on either side only...pleas help....thanks
Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 09:40 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My book mentions nothing of a key in the first crypt. In the second Crypt, it mentions a key for the first time, on the statue, in the little room. This is the key that gains you access to the interior of Kresselack's tomb.
The next key of mention is in Crypt four. It is the Sanctum key, needed to open one of the doors in the first level of Kresselack's tomb. It is in the Sarcophagus you reach after going through every creature in the place.
I hope this helps...If not, I will kill myself...No,,,that's not it, I mean I will try again. Good luck!

------------------

Loyal guardian of the OHF
Devoted member of the Ironworks
Only member of the Elite Bodyguard to Rikard (the fool that takes the bullet)
Ertai's back-up
Memnoch's chief look-out
Member of the Ancients club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 06-13-2001).]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 09:54 PM   #3
Nanu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

LOL...please don't harm yourself...Boo would be disappointed...thanks, I'll continue in crypt two and look for the key...Quite frankly, I'm not enjoying this game much...no story...just hack and slash....maybe I am getting old but I prefer the mental side of these games, anyone can kill a ghast and skeleton...thanks again for the help
Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 11:04 PM   #4
Havok
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, this game is designed more for brawlers, but that's why I'm enjoying it. I like being able to create my own party. I like the linear plot line as well...keeps me from wandering all over the map looking for things to do (BG1 comes to mind). Also, unlike BG2 which is a thinking mans game, IWD is not loaded down with all of those NPC dependent quests.

IWD reminds me more of my old PnP dungeon days, when our DM would coax, coerce, entice, or whatever, in order to keep us moving and following the plot line of his story.

It may not be your "cup of tea", but keep playing anyway because I think you'll enjoy it in the long run.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 04:33 PM   #5
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanu:
LOL...please don't harm yourself...Boo would be disappointed...thanks, I'll continue in crypt two and look for the key...Quite frankly, I'm not enjoying this game much...no story...just hack and slash....maybe I am getting old but I prefer the mental side of these games, anyone can kill a ghast and skeleton...thanks again for the help
Don't give up on it, Nanu! I like games with more substance, too, but just regard it as a good romp and you will enjoy it! There ARE a a few puzzle-type things to work out as you progress through the game. But you are right - it is mostly hack 'n' slash!
Not much skill involved, really, and some of the enemies you have to kill - well, it CAN get irritating when you have to keep reloading all the time because they don't damn well die before your team is exterminated and then you only kill them by luck, not judgement.
Just do as much as you can to raise your levels then cross your fingers, lol!
Oh for Daggerfall with present-day knowledge! (When using a skill raised your level in THAT SKILL! Killing things raises weapons skills, not a Mage's spellcasting...! Spellcasting raises spell skills.. as it SHOULD be! But Daggerfall spoiled me....)
Moan over!

------------------

Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 12:50 AM   #6
Bluestar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nanu,

I guess this is a bit off topic but I have to agree with you. You don't need much skill in IWD. It seems like it is all about the numbers (of enemies) with little thought of skill. I'm trying to find other games with more need for thought. BG1 was my first RPG. I liked it a lot and I really enjoyed BG2.

Bluestar
Bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 03:40 PM   #7
Axterix
Manshoon

It's a different type of skill. And, to be honest, you can't claim that Baldur's Gate requires any real skill... the fights are easier and for the rest you just have to remember where the person you need to talk to is. Even the toughest fights in the game come down mostly to casting a spell that effects all the enemies (a summoning, a fireball, a web, a cloud type spell, you get the idea). Much of that is just the nature of the low level game though. Not like you're doing anything complicated at BG levels in IWD either.

Now, I know lots of people like to hack on the plot for IWD, but in its defense, it's got many elements that are superior to BG. NPC's react based upon your class, gender, and race. The puzzle room... nothing like it in BG. Options to do evil things and not get screwed over like you do in BG. Now, they could have made the game more like BG very easily. Just make you travel from map to map to get to the dungeons, and then make those maps sparcely populated and filled with a few simple quests like kill the hobgoblin to get a ring. But they decided not to do that. Instead, the game skips that and focuses on getting into the dungeons. Dungeons that are a bit more densely populated than BG... and much bigger, spacewise. And that's what gives the more hack and slash feeling.

But then, the game is supposed to be more straight forward. This tale happened a while back. It's a guy telling a story. And no grand tale is going to include things about how many stray puppies the party returned to sad little boys while they were off to save the world

Somewhere between the two games is the reality of PnP games... we don't usually recruit npc's, we don't run a million subquests, and we don't fight that much.

It's a different style, but it is great for what it is.
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 05:24 PM   #8
KillerMafia
Elite Waterdeep Guard

most of the keys are found on "special" enemies or in "chests".
just wave your mouse everywhere and on everything in the crypt.
you should get something on the wall and turn blue... go to it and put it all in your inventory. just check everything... its not that hard, i got everyting on the first try.
KillerMafia is offline   Reply With Quote