Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 03:36 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

K, the title is a bit decieving, but have u ever felt like "screw strategy" and just hasted ur guys, and did an all out brawl. Its sooo fun for me, i just said my guys in toe-to-toe combat and make the enemy kibbles. It feels great to hear that splat, and u get a sigh of relief. Especially against boasters who claim to be the best, and i feel so happy to know there gone. Wut do u think?

------------------
Tis your lives to waste
-Drizzt do Urden
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 03:51 PM   #2
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

It's especially funny when after a few hits those boasters piss their pants. Just like some of those bosses like Tranzig or that half-orc cleric in the Nashkel mines (his name slips my mind).

------------------
JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves

Forest runner and first gnomish demiranger-protector with slightly rougueish tendencies and a natural dislike for Aerie
JR Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 04:36 PM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

I often find that having no stratagy works best. The more one thinks about and analyses a situation, the more complicated it becomes. I just use good 'ol hack n slash

------------------
Later,

Old 10-31-2001, 07:36 PM   #4
pBluescript
Dungeon Master

Hurling large quantities of fire weapons/magic is satisfying also.
pBluescript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 11:31 PM   #5
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I don't know, it's fun but I have mixed feelings about it. I'm currently playing my first Dark Side game with a party of six of my own: four paladins, a cleric-thief (half-elf), and mage--kind of an Arthurian knights thing. I spread the weapons profs out amongst four palladins, so there is one guy who primarily uses a flail, one who uses the large sword, one who uses the war hammer, and one who uses an axe. (The sword guy also uses the bow, and the hammer guy uses the crossbow.) (Note: I'm aware that I will probably have to temporarily drop one or two pallies in order to do the DS quests.)

Early on it was great in terms of the challenge. I went right to the Nashkell mines at level 1 and had a very hard time of it. But after quickly raising rep to 20 and following the plotline quests (and doing quests for various spoils items I wanted for this party) I was able to buy the all great items for paladins (and clerics) at the Beregost temple.

Now as I enter the Cloakwood mines I have paladins at AC -10, -6, -5, -5. Even the cleric-thief is -3; and mage is at AC 0 with the Robe of the Good Archmagi. Anyway, they are starting to tear through the enemy like they were tissue paper. I know I'll be encountering tough enemies in the DS quests, and the Tales quests are also difficult, so I'm hoping it won't just be a cakewalk. I mean it's truly been a blast so far, but I worry that they are rapidly becoming overpowered.

[This message has been edited by Lemernis (edited 11-01-2001).]
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 02:06 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I don't pull the Fools Rush In maneuver too often....mainly because that Pause button is just so darn helpful. It seemed to work with the Demonknight, though (after some initial dance moves). I always Haste before the big fights, after my 3rd assault on the top floor of the Iron Throne (Man, that was beautiful. ), but I very rarely say, "Uh, go kill those guys!" and sit back to watch the fur fly. It's more fun (for me) to play the subtle assassination route, as I really know how to use my Thieves.

------------------
Boots of Stealth: 1125 gp
Shadow Armor: 7875 gp
Slipping an Oil of Firey Burning down the back of Sarevok's armor: Priceless
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:32 AM   #7
dex_man
Dungeon Master

Though i love the run hack 'n' slash and kill and then run onto the next group of enimies, coz no matter what u do that is always a heap of fun. I find that sending one guy in and luring them into an ambush works so well especially if you can get them to come out one at a time
dex_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 11:26 AM   #8
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

There is no question but that having only one pure fighter makes strategy critical. As I said above, I'm currently playing with a party consisting of four melee fighters. Especially when they pumped up on the clerical spells, pretty much all I have to do is send them in and watch them demolish everything in sight. Granted, 4 pallies appears to be an overpowered party composition given the huge advantage BG gives to fighters. But I just started chapter 5 and picked up Jet Liya, though. I'm hoping that the DS quests still prove to be extremely difficult for my noble paladins.

It's fun to watch all those fighters go to town, but it isn't nearly as interesting or challenging as playing with... um ,let's say, a pure fighter, a a fighter-thief, fighter-mage, a wizard, and a cleric, for example. Or some other typical ditribution od classes. I much prefer the chess-like problemsolving of each class having it's unique abilities being comparable to a rook, bishop, etc., and coordinating the attack with all those pieces.

Getting off topic here... My paladin party is only at level 4 but when they are fighting evil characters (which nearly all enemies in the game are), and the party is Protected from Evil, Hasted, and having cast Strength of One, Holy Might, Chant, the mage Armored, the Cleric brandishing Selune's Blade... they are so damned impressive. And they will be even moreso when the cleric learns Defensive Harmony (and Righteous Magic, if that is available in DS), and whatever new cleric spells were created for DS. Clerics can really help the party kick ass.
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:45 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

Good lord, a knight party, pretty wicked. Thats gotta be fun! Yes, the ambush seems interesting to do too, I'll try these ones out.

------------------
Tis your lives to waste
-Drizzt do Urden
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 04:47 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Speaking of a knight party, I think GameSpy had a downloadable file that had the portraits from Monty Python & the Holy Grail--it may even have had sound files, as well! Think of the possibilities!

Arthur: Paladin
Lancelot: Fighter
Galahad: Cleric
Bedivere: Fighter/Mage (high INT, low WIS)
Robin: Fighter/Coward
Patsy: Thief (with really high STR for carrying all that baggage around)

Not only that, the whole party gets +4 to Knees-bent, Running about, Advancing behavior.

(Or do you think Tim the Enchanter would be more appropriate than Bedivere?)
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote