Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2001, 05:22 AM   #1
Vampire

Please explain to me the new abilities of thieves.
Like at level 25 what happens do you choose between them. If you choose one will you be never be able to get the other? Or can you choose again at highier level.
Who gets assassination? All thieves or just assassins?
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 06:21 AM   #2
Vampire

In fact widen this to all new abilities.
I mean can you only choose a few from the lists or are all well be eventually available?
Can thieves backstab with new weapons?
Old 07-14-2001, 06:22 AM   #3
Vampire

Which is more important in ToB?
pick pockets or backstab?
I can hide with the staff of magi...but not backstab.
Old 07-14-2001, 10:07 AM   #4
Bristowe
Elminster

You get to choose from a list of abilities once your thief or bard (they use the same 'pool' of abilities) by the way this includes all the different kits as well, when he or she hits lvl 25. Every lvl after 25 up till 40 you choose from that list again, one Hlvl ability every lvl from 25-40. Most abilities can be chosen more than once so as to be able to use them several times a day, such as the special traps and things like assassination, whereas stuf like Use Any Item can be chosen once only and you keep it forever (the ability does not 'expire'). All thieves even bards (which is stupid) can get assassination however IMO, pure thieves THAC0 ain't great, so in the ONE round you get to attack in 'assassination mode' wont always lead to successful strikes.

The special abilities are pretty much all available the first time you choose from the pool of abilities for your particular class, however, for example, whirlwind and greater whilwind for fighters; your fighter must have chosen whirlwind BEFORE he can choose greater whirlwind ie. choose WW at lvl 20 and choose GWW at lvl 21.

In ToB, your lvl will be high enough that you'll prolly have enough points to raise both PKpocket to high lvls but IMO, backstab is more useful...

------------------
Bristowe, Master Assassin
"Everyone dies sooner or later, why not sooner?"
Bristowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 11:14 AM   #5
Vampire

Bards get Back Stab??? That't Outrageous!
When thieves get use all items, can they use 2hswd to back stab?
Can they use Bard and Paladin Items?
Old 07-16-2001, 12:41 PM   #6
Eelkram
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, as far as I've seen, "Use any item" literally allows you to use any item provided you meet the item's requirements. You can use paladin and bard equipment, so far as you meet their requirements. If you find something that requires XX str, you'll have to meet that requirement to use it.
Eelkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 02:39 PM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

you can use it in combat, but you have no skill and i dont think you can backstab cuz my fighter/thief couldnt backstab w/ a bastard sword. its yours to decide, but if you have 8 str you can use an excellent armor called White Dragon Scale Chain that has -2 ac . kicks ass and doesnt disable your thieving skils.

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 10:14 PM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

my blade didn't get assasination, nor will I think a swashbuckler.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 11:38 PM   #9
LSRVIKING
The Magister

Thats because they cant backstab.
LSRVIKING is offline   Reply With Quote