Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Found this today during my semi-routine of blog reading and thought it was worth sharing [img]smile.gif[/img]

Of course, it's your civil right to not let facts get in the way

MWO has a bit on Bill O'Reilly's latest assault on the American Civil Liberties Union from a January 9th Fox News broadcast:

Now the ACLU is free to come to your town and sue the heck out of it. And believe me, that organization will. The ACLU doesn't care about the law or the constitution or what the people want. It's a fascist organization that uses lawyers instead of Panzers. It'll find a way to inflict financial damage on any concern that opposes its secular agenda and its growing in power.

I eagerly await the conservatives who raised their mock idignation over Hitler-Bush analogies expressing their utter disgust at someone like Bill O'Reilly daring to demean the lives of those who suffered under Fascism by connecting it to an organization devoted to protecting the Constitution of the United States. Don't everyone hold your breath.
Of course, I'm sure it's just the start for O'Reilly and his daring expose on the ACLU. Clearly, he did his research, going as far as the depths of the ACLU's website to analyze all the acts of horrendous Fascism that could come at the behest of such wanton anti-American invective.

For example, I'm sure the episode of "The O'Reilly Factor" next week will be a daring move for O'Reilly, as he breaks ranks with his conservative audience to chastize the overzealous lawyers- I'm sorry, Panzers- of the ACLU for fighting to protect Rush Limbaugh's privacy rights.

And man, how will Murdoch let O'Reilly get away with his next "Talking Point" of the day, about the fascist attempts to repeal Campaign Finance Reform in a coalition with the National Rifle Association? I applaud O'Reilly for standing up to an organization like the NRA, and its proven anti-Americanism for sympathizing with a group of fascists. Why does the NRA hate the constitution so much? What amendments have they ever tried to protect, huh? SHUT UP!

And how about the ACLU's blatant leftist attempt to investigate the overuse of Federal power in the Waco and Ruby Ridge sieges? Those fascists, always trying to limit the powers of authoritarian government! God, if I didn't know any better, I'd say that these are all cases that show the ACLU's interest in defending constitutional law regardless of political leaning- a concept which would imply Bill O'Reilly doesn't have a fifth of a f*** of an idea what he's talking about!

But... but... could Bill O'Reilly lie? I certainly hope he doesn't think he could get away with doing something like that in a state so wantonly crippled by the fascist attempts by the ACLU to protect the right to free speech.

You really have to laugh at stories like this, because it's outright embarassing to see conservatives in this day and age still trying to convince the country that the ACLU is some kind of communist organization. Obviously it's a left-wing organization by the nature of civil liberties being a left-wing cause, but that Fox News can't even get an intern to go to the ACLU's own website and prove in five minutes that they're not the wing of any party is a sign of just how much of an advantage Fox has taken of the First Amendment that the ACLU has defended for so many years.

Bill O'Reilly owes the ACLU his utmost gratitude for securing the very laws that allowed a man like him to have a career spouting partisan lies with no factual backing on national television. At the very least, I'd settle for him thanking the ACLU for defending his first-amendment right to lie about his book sales.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #2
MagiK

I would like to say that in fact, the ACLU had nothing at all whatsoever to do with making sure Bill O'reilly or anyone for that matter can say what they want. There was NO ACLU in 1776 nor in 1886. The ACLU is in fact a modern invention and does employ facist like attacks.

Some times they are on the "right" side of the issue...but just as often they (in my opinion) are on the wrong end of right and wrong. Actually I think they are one of the nations most hit or miss groups, with far too much power and money backing them.

Just an opinion there. I think they are needed, but I wish they would pick their battles a bit more...judiciously.

[ 01-13-2004, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 01-13-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Bill O'Reilly talking out of his a$$ as usual.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

I would like to say that in fact, the ACLU had nothing at all whatsoever to do with making sure Bill O'reilly or anyone for that matter can say what they want. There was NO ACLU in 1776 nor in 1886. The ACLU is in fact a modern invention and does employ facist like attacks.
facist like attacks? I have not heard about any roving gangs of ACLU brown shirts smashing the windows of any business or turning people out of their homes. Nor have a heard of them rounding up their opponents and sending them to death camps. Care to elaborate?
Old 01-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
MagiK

I am really gong to have to listen to this guy O'reilly some day [img]smile.gif[/img] He sounds like the devil himself from listening to the fans he has here [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have seen him in commercials for his show....but never read anything by him or seent he show.
;D
Old 01-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:

I am really gong to have to listen to this guy O'reilly some day [img]smile.gif[/img] He sounds like the devil himself from listening to the fans he has here [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have seen him in commercials for his show....but never read anything by him or seent he show.
;D
Not the devil just a poor deluded man, here is an example from his web site:

Factor Fans Keep Bill's Book #1
Memo to Al Franken: For the fifth straight week, "Who's Looking Out for You?" remains #1 on the NYT Best Seller List.
Get YOUR copy: · Hardcover ·Autographed · Personalized · Audio CD

When in fact here is the actual listing:

Hardcover Nonfiction

Published: January 18, 2004

1 LIES (AND THE LYING LIARS WHO TELL THEM), by Al Franken. (Dutton, $24.95.) A satirical critique of the rhetoric of right-wing pundits and politicians. 2 20

2 DUDE, WHERE'S MY COUNTRY? by Michael Moore. (Warner, $24.95.) The author of "Stupid White Men" calls for "regime change" in Washington. 3 13

3 FLYBOYS, by James Bradley. (Little, Brown, $25.95.) An account of eight American airmen who were shot down and captured by the Japanese in World War II. 4 14

4 WHO'S LOOKING OUT FOR YOU? by Bill O'Reilly. (Broadway, $24.95.) The host of "The O'Reilly Factor" attacks those individuals and institutions that he believes have let down the American people. 1 15

5 BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, by Walter Isaacson. (Simon & Schuster, $30.) A biography of the scientist, inventor, writer and Revolutionary statesman.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

MagiK, I'm disappointed you let the "hook" of fascist language get stuck in your mouth.

The ACLU goes into court and sues, allowing juries of US, WE, The People, to decide facts and allowing the LAW to determine the outcome of those facts. It may be one of the only real democratic ways of resolving things we have left.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:54 PM   #8
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:

;D
He's a soapbox journalist / spin doctor to the extreme. One who rants and raves, gets everyone all whipped up.. but his rants and raves are more often than not based in total BS.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #9
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
MagiK, I'm disappointed you let the "hook" of fascist language get stuck in your mouth.

The ACLU goes into court and sues, allowing juries of US, WE, The People, to decide facts and allowing the LAW to determine the outcome of those facts. It may be one of the only real democratic ways of resolving things we have left.

And WE the people do things like ohhh... Declare OJ not guilty
and we the people allow millions of dollars to be spent ruining peoples lives by convicts in jail....what am I talking about?

A convict rapes and murders a couples 13 year old daughter in a most hideous fashion...he is found guilty goes to jail, and gets a law degree...now he is in jail for life..but he is allowed and DOES sue the parents for defamation of character...of course he will lose..but the couple has to declare bankruptcy to finance the cost of their legal defense. (This case will always stick in my mind, I believeit was in Arizona or New Mexico in the early 90's)

TL the system is broken and can be abused badly. ACLU and criminals and idiots alike can damage andharm innocent people using LEGAL tactics. The system needs fixed

[ 01-13-2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 01-13-2004, 04:10 PM   #10
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:TL the system is broken and can be abused badly. ACLU and criminals and idiots alike can damage andharm innocent people using LEGAL tactics. The system needs fixed
Ever hear of SLAPP suits? It's a nice legal tactic Big Business uses to bankrupt their critics and detractors. So if you are going to rail against abuses in the system besure to include that in your rant.