Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2002, 04:48 PM   #31
Darkman

1. Only the protaganist can have a Familiar?? I mean come on, it's not like this is a Bhaal spawn ability...
2. There should be more interaction with your Familiar. I imagine most people only summon them for the hit point bonus
3. Only one male romance [and a bad one at that] makes playing a female PC almost pointless because you miss out on so much
4. The Jester class should look more like a Jester and less like a Thief
5. The Thief's Detect Illusion skill should work passively
6. Grand Mastery should give an extra attack. 5 points in one weapon is nothing to sneeze at!
Old 02-20-2002, 05:36 PM   #32
Mortis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with Darkman, i thought that other charaters should be able to get familiars. I just used mine for the bonuses and kept it in my bag most of the time. I also think that as the mage grew in skill so should have the familiar, gaining strength and more spells and attacks cos they aint that strong. Paper Dolls, I HATE THE ONES IN BG2! THEY JUST LOOK SO STUPID. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO CHANGE EM?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 03:28 PM   #33
andy the assasin
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by antonius:
I thought it was something dumb like the bhaal-essence affecting each of the spawn in different ways - the PC gets the extra abilities, but as a down-side crumbles to dust on death. Imoen gets nothing either way (apart from cuteness +1 - if you're into that sort of thing [img]smile.gif[/img] )

All bhaal spawn crumble to death when they die like sarevok at the end of Baldurs gate 1, on the ending sequence his essence leaves his body and goes down into some abyss where the statue of him crumbles.
andy the assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 04:20 PM   #34
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by andy the assasin:

All bhaal spawn crumble to death when they die

Well, all except Imoen, that is [img]smile.gif[/img]
antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 06:43 PM   #35
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I'll post a big "Me Too!" to everything Darkman said, plus these:

1: I cannot over-emphasize the lack of proper Thieves
2: The lack of NPCs in general (BG1 had more than twice as many)
3: Not only do the paper dolls all look stupid, they all look the same
4: Whatever happened to Dimension Door? Not like I use it all that much, but it'd be nice to have a way around some of those damned unpickable locks.
5: Unfinished Quests. Twisted Rune, Haer-Dalis's being framed for murder, etc. Go ahead, wait another month to release the game to the public, but finish writing the dang quests, willya?
6: Absolutely NO Monty Python references. I haven't seen one in the whole series.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:12 PM   #36
SoaS
Dungeon Master

The fact you were uberpowerful at the end of 1, and in 2 there are people more uberpowerful than you'd ever was in #1.

WERE THE HELL WERE THEY THEN?

I mean, why stay in Amn? Bitches.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:38 PM   #37
jabidas
Silver Dragon

First, Dimension door went because sequences in the game were activated by you running over tiles and activating them, dimenson door would have messed that up.

I wanted the element of fun there was in BG1 like you know when you wandered into some random house in the docks and something you didnt expect at all happens. You could just wander in BG1 and stuff would happens.

Fighers didnt have enough variety, you go up a level and you lose a point of thaco, WooHoo, ToB fixed it with the abilities but they were a litte dull in vanila SoA.

There should be more possibility for evil, in SoA if you were evil you would be punished for it and it was less rewarding. Wasnt that different either.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:03 PM   #38
fable
Quintesson

My biggest gripe with the game is the inability to tilt the view or zoom in, especially during battles. (And yes, I know that would require a 3D engine, but you did ask...) Combat leaves the sublime for the ridiculous as more and more figures join in, and it becomes nearly impossible to track who is where, etc. This was especially the case for me in that first battle with Irenicus, when he calls up your doubles. I've played through the game 5 times, and that battle *still* takes far too much to analyze due to the overlayering of personnel. Judge my two cents.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:16 AM   #39
PeeWee
Manshoon

Nothing serious but....

1) I don't like the hide in shadows and detect traps being modes. It's either you hide or detect but can't do both simultaneously. I would have preferred being able to do both as some higher skill later on for thieves.

2) This might not make sense, but I don't see two seperate backstabs from thieves who do use two weapons. I mean if you aren't going to get any more points that can go into two weapon style, at least give thieves the chance to land two simultaneous backstabs IF they do hit( the odds are bad as is with the offhand penalty).

3) Melee classes should at least be able to spend more than 1-2 points for two weapon style. If this happens, I don't mind my thief not being able to backstab with two weapons.

4) Alot of bad npc AI and also bad pathing. Also for moving the party with scripts on, I don't like how the path breaks when a thief hides in shadows from the script. I thought there was a fix for this in the latest patch but there isn't. If you have set a destination point for a thief who stops to hide in shadows, he should attempt to reach that point after the hide failed or is successful.

5) Lack of customization for paperdolls. There is a crapload of icons and a method for importing more; there should have been some method to easily change the dolls or some sort of selection other than one.

6) The inability to pass up the cutscenes. I agree it's very annoying having to go thru chapter one and not being able to pass thru the first cutscene, although I heard a patch can reduce this time.

7) Too few npcs. Most of the npcs can be acquired in chapter two alone. There should be more and different npcs found later in the chapters.

8) No toggle for some of the special effects of spells like spell trap.

9) The random effect from moving around npc party members. In nonhostile situations, one character can move thru 3 guys blocking the path. Each of the three guys appear to get bumped away so that the first guy can move to his destination point. Yet, if those 3 guys were blocking the path and the first guy was trying to melee something in front of them, they would not get bumped in this situation. If so, it's random. Somestimes I see the first guy taking the LONG route which is really no real route to the hostile npc. He just wanders.

10) not being able to bring up the description/textbox of items in chests/shelves/bookcases or other areas.

11) I also didn't like that the protagonist was the only one who could find a familiar. Other mages need loving too.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:47 AM   #40
andy the assasin
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by antonius:

Well, all except Imoen, that is [img]smile.gif[/img]

What i really should of said is all bhaal spwan SHOULD cruble to death.
andy the assasin is offline   Reply With Quote