Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 02:28 AM   #1
bygones01
Dungeon Master

well i defeated all of the dragons in SoA..... but draconis is ridiculous.. it seems i can't do any damage to him, not even with my trusty skeleton warrior tactic... i've tried to dispel his triggers with misscast, and ray of reversal.. but it still seems pointless. should i just start playing pool of radiance? thanks
bygones01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:10 AM   #2
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

after browsing through the PoR forums, my advice would be definately NOT to start playing PoR. If you own it, return it, in fact. Ubi Soft needs a bit of a lesson for releasing totally beta - nay, maybe alpha quality - software.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:20 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Some things to note... ...

Draconis is immuned to Death Magic and Slashing-type damage, he may seem hard, but in reality, he can be easily defeated.

Some general tips to slay Dragons.

What is your party make-up? I will try to formulate a stragedy for you.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:47 PM   #4
bygones01
Dungeon Master

well i tried using pierce magics and feeblemind and stuff like that, but draconis either reflects it back at me or just moves to fast for me to really hurt him afterwards. what spell is it that removes reflection magics? my party is minsc, viconia, severok, aerie, and what's her name "for the needy!!!". my main character is a thief, magic user, fighter. i have crom fayer and pretty much all the good equipment. i don't know why this dragon is so hard... i didn't have much trouble with the ones in SoA. thanks again.
bygones01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:55 PM   #5
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Here is some tactics I found on a different site maybe some of these will help. Any way you look at it he is one tough guy IMO. I rather enjoyed the fight it was a good challenge.

Time Stop & Abilities

The first time I encountered Abazigal I was like "Hah! I'll roll through him just like the other I did the other two dragons that were guarding him." Not so. He managed to cream me a couple of times before I decided to use a different approach. I loaded a previous game and picked up six protection from electricity scrolls just to reduce the damage from his lightning breath. His breath has a chain lightning effect and it does quite a lot of damage. Also once you roll through his human form and he changes into the blue dragon, he has a spell trigger that heals him up fully. Anyways, at the onset of the fight I buffed up my characters with some choice spells, scrolls (the protection from electricty ones) and potions. I never had a problem rolling through the Frost Salamanders in his room so I didn't pay them much heed. Once the fight began and Abazigal turned into his true form, I had my sorcerer cast time stop then proceed to hit him with a number of lower resistance spells to lower his magic resistance. After that I parked my archer off in a safe corner, used the high level abilities of my hitters (like greater whirlwind) and summoned a number of greater elementals and planetars and the like. Using this strategy I was able to slay him, although he still did put up a nice fight.

Submitted By: Ranathax

Assassinate the Salamanders First

Abazigal's lair is set up so that there is just enough room for a thief or stalker to work their way around the perimeter, clockwise from the entrance. I had Valygar equipped with the Boots of Speed do this. He would backstab a salamander, then get out of its sightlines, hide and backstab again. In this way I was able to pick off all but one before the final battle.

Submitted By: Joao Medeiros

Mordenkainen's Sword

First walk through the side and finish all of the Frost Salamanders. Before engaging Abazigal, cast a Mordenkainen's Sword in front of him. After his dialogue is over, send the sword on him before attacking with all of your party members. The sword is incredibly effective against him because it is totally immune to his damage. Using this simple tactic, I was able to defeat Abazigal in his human form.

When Abazigal changes into his dragon form, cast another Mordenkainen's Sword ( the first sword might run out of time ) to help the first one. The sword would take up all the dragon's attention ( and also damage!! ). The sword is immune to his dragon attack and the lightning damage does not affect the sword a single bit. If the dragon starts attacking you instead of the sword, start running away before attacking him again. He didn't cast any healing spells for me because he was so distracted by my sword drawing blood from his dragon hide. Just keep attacking him and the fight is in the bag.

If the the swords are killed by Finger of Death by the dragon, summon more and continue the tactic.

Submitted By: Tanong

Mack_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:57 PM   #6
YeRFDoG
The Magister

The only way that i managed to kill Abazigal was by casting lower resist on him a few times and then time stop, followed by 3 dragon breaths ( you wouldn't think dragon breath would work on a dragon would you?). There was nothing else that really seemed to hurt him, I even had to keep my mainchar out of the way, as he is a fighter, and got ripped apart very quickly. It took me 4 or maybe 5 dragon breaths to kill Abazigal (when in true form). When he was in human form i used my three fighter types to hit him simultaneously, and when one was hit i would move them away and heal him, blocking him off from getting them. Also the cleric spell flame strike did quite a bit of damage against hime in human form.
I'm not sure about this - but maybe all or most fire damage spells hurt Abazigal?

I found Draconis very hard also, but fought him differently than Abazigal. I can't really remember whether dragon breath worked on him, but it might.
Oh yeah you definately NEED to lower any dragons resistance to magic.
Anyway, my fighters, equipped with weapons that do elemental damage (fire, cold etc.) were fairly effective against draconis, although remember to be VERY careful with watching their health. Also whirlwind and greater whirlwind helped when the fighter doing it wasn't being hit.

I know this is long but also a little brief, hopefully i have helped someone

------------------
........And in the darkness bind them......
YeRFDoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 12:38 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bygones01:
well i tried using pierce magics and feeblemind and stuff like that, but draconis either reflects it back at me or just moves to fast for me to really hurt him afterwards. what spell is it that removes reflection magics? my party is minsc, viconia, severok, aerie, and what's her name "for the needy!!!". my main character is a thief, magic user, fighter. i have crom fayer and pretty much all the good equipment. i don't know why this dragon is so hard... i didn't have much trouble with the ones in SoA. thanks again.
Hmmmm... you have a Fight/Mage/Thief multi-class kit. You have Minsc, Viconia, Sarevok, Aerie and Nalia.

Okay... here we go, let's handle Draconis' human form first.

Get either Aerie or Viconia to gate in a Deva. Sic the Deva on Draconic, it is immuned to Draconis' melee attacks and highly magic resistant. You might want to support the Deva with some Aerial Servants to handle Draconis' Invisible Stalkers. Meanwhile, your party should stay as far away as possible, to avoid the Morph Buffer about to happen.

Draconis dies, complains and swears vengence on you, he morphs into Dragon form. All your summons die, immediatedly get Aerie to cast a Spell Trigger( fill with 3 Lower Resistances) on Draconis while Nalia gates in a Planetar right next to Draconis.

After gating in the Planetar, immediately make Nalia cast Chain Contingency and fill it with 3 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, set it to trigger when enemy is sighted and to cast at nearest enemy target. Do the same with Aerie if you can. Meanwhile, Viconia should be summoning Skeletons, Aerial Servants, etc... to assist the Planetar. Flank Minsc and Sarevok to attack from the back.

Nalia, Aerie and you can then cast Magic Missile repeatedly on Draconis, wait for the Chain Contingency(ies) to trigger, one round will hurt really bad, two will kill him outright.

Hopes this helps.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 01:31 AM   #8
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

If you have the spell Energy Blades I suggest using it with any spell caster (cleric or mage) that know it. Like Dundee Slaytern said have Nadia cast Chain Contingency but do it before the battle and replace on of the Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting with a kelban warding whip, keep her back so it doesn't go off and bring her up once he tranformed. Also put 3 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting into a Chain Contingency with Aerie if she can or use normal contingency containing a true seeing spell.

Also use summoned mosters to attack him up close and, if they have one, make everyone else use a ranged weapon.

------------------
Opinions are not clubs don't beat others with yours.
Sir Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 02:49 PM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Your right, this guy is WAY overpowered but hey, if they would be any easier it just woudnt be any fun.

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.

Paladin of the order, first bodyguard of Lady Lioness and defender of Castle Kerhelm
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote