Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Downloading the demo now (509Mb) at www.attackoftheshow.com at the top of the page today.

Sounds like a co-op mil shooter. may be good. Anyone here play it yet? and if so, what do you think?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I haven't seen it myself yet (will on Saturday) but my mate has been playing it, and his general opinion (and his brothers) is that the game is good online, but the SP is fairly crap. Can't really elaborate on that as of yet, as I haven't played it, but I'l tell you after Saturday.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

I've heard from my brother (another indirect source..nobody here has played!) that online was a lot of fun. He gave it credit for actually implementing a system of military command on the battlefield with commander type roles that people actually follow. Aside from well-organized player groups who game with eachother frequently, this has never happened with complete strangers.

It was also good to see it is a non-WW2 game. As much as I like the genre as a setting, there haven't been enough modern battle games of a high quality. Besides, Call of Duty 2 is going to make other WW2 games irrelevant [img]smile.gif[/img]

However, he said that offline was pathetic - absolutely inferior to any other current game other than BF 1942. If I recall correctly, BF Vietnam had no single player at all. As I'm on a 56k until September, I'll not be seeing the demo, much less the full product.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Thoran
Galvatron

Graphics look pretty good, and I've also heard that it's a lot of fun to play. Personally I lean toward single player games and lan gaming... online is way to teeny-bopper for me, so I won't be getting it, but for online gamers it looks like a winner.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

BF2 graphics will be inferior by the time Valve releases The Loat Coast, and the new HDR (High Dynamic Range) feature. Anyone who has seen the video on the Steam Update will know what I'm talking about.

Theres also a rumor going about that you will be able to see Gordon's reflection in the water in Lost Coast.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Dalamar, are you serious? I've seen the video on Steam and it looks sweet, but we really get to see Gordon's reflection? Hmm... I'm not sure if they should. I mean, it would make the game even more realistic than it already is, and would be extremely cool, its kinda been tradition that we never see Freeman... not even his feet if you look directly down. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I've been playing the BF2 demo for a couple of weeks now. Its not bad, but... hmmm... lacking some magic. Hard to explain; it just doesn't grasp as well as other games like Call of Duty or CS:S.

Lucern - while I'm excited about the release of CoD2, I realise its going to be a gruelling process of practice. [img]smile.gif[/img] I mean, the original CoD is two years old now, and people are drifting away from it, leaving only elite riflemen (comme moi [img]tongue.gif[/img] - Kar98k all the way! And Lee-Enfield! MP44 ownz0rs! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) playing in clanwars most of the time. With the new game, I'll have to start practicing again on a different engine. I hate having to adjust to new engines. >.<
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Lucern
Quintesson

I understand what you mean Jaradu. I only bought Call of Duty a month ago, with its expansion, and had a great time with the single player, beating it on the hardest in a matter of days (not really a brag-the old save-load feature I learned from games like Jagged Alliance 2 and Baldur's Gate worked fine too lol)

I'm afraid to play online with a 56k though, and I was really disappointed to find no bots to play with, even with the mods. As superior as I considered it to BF 1942, I missed the bots. I did find a cool realism mod that made all of the weapons more lethal, making it a rifleman's dream - taking away the crosshairs to boot. Not that I'd survive online since I only trained against scripted enemies, but in the SP setting, I felt like a great rifleman [img]smile.gif[/img]

I do find that accuracy generally gets retained somewhat in some FPS - ever since playing Rogue Spear my Mouse-Eye coordination has been stellar lol. You got no second tries in that game.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
Dalamar, are you serious? I've seen the video on Steam and it looks sweet, but we really get to see Gordon's reflection? Hmm... I'm not sure if they should. I mean, it would make the game even more realistic than it already is, and would be extremely cool, its kinda been tradition that we never see Freeman... not even his feet if you look directly down. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
From what I've heard, this is only a rumor, nothing more. Gabe Newell hoards information on Lost Coast like a bad metaphor.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:24 AM   #9
Zink Whistlefly

I'm also looking forward to BF2, but I've heard a lot of people saying that you really need a whopping 2GB to properly enjoy the game on high detail. Otherwise apparently the game frequently uses the paging file and causes stuttering. How are you guys finding it so far?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalamar Stormcrow:
BF2 graphics will be inferior by the time Valve releases The Loat Coast, and the new HDR (High Dynamic Range) feature. Anyone who has seen the video on the Steam Update will know what I'm talking about...
I'm really looking forward to the expansion, but I don't think the HDR will be for everyone unfortunately. The problem with it is that it needs Shader Model 3.0 in order to be implemented, which of course means that you need a Geforce 6600/6800 card or greater in order to use it, and even then the framerate hit will be too large for these cards to manage it. I'd wager anything less that a Geforce 7800 series card just will not cut it.

I'm sitting here with a top of the line ATI Radeon X850 XT card and I know that I'm not going to be able to use HDR since no Radeons (until the next gen card is out) support SM 3.0
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Zink Whistlefly:
no Radeons (until the next gen card is out) support SM 3.0
[img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

(Still won't succumb to the evil of Geforce though [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote