Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2002, 07:37 AM   #1
Saoric
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I wanted to go to Gnoll Stronghold. In order to take Edwin I had to remove a party member, and I removed Viconia. I didn't leave her naked, she had some magic stuff and a plate mail. From the looks of it she will be waiting for me. I do want to take her back in the group later on.

But: since NPC's gain experience and even items (like armor) when they stand waiting for you, I was wondering: will Viconia gain experience now, after I left her? Will she gain armor herself (there is no need for that; she already has got plate mail; so I don't want her to end up with let's say a splint mail).
Old 09-09-2002, 10:01 AM   #2
Metal Gear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Semi-spoiler

Party memeber join at the about the same xp amount as the main charator so if you left a lvl 1 NPC then picked them up when your at lvl 3 that NPC would have the same xp as you so if u where a mage and they where a theif they would have the same xp but be at a higher lvl thats just a genral rule mybe some other ppl will be clear also I don't know about items changes to a left NPC sorry.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:13 AM   #3
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

So what you are saying is that since I abandoned Imowen in the Freindly arm early in the game(I myself an a halfling fighter/theif and couldn't see having two thieves in the party) now that I am like a 7/7 fighter theif I can go back, pick her up and she will have all of that experience as a straght theif?
Old 09-09-2002, 01:46 PM   #4
Guenhwyvar & Catti-brie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

in theroy Imoen will have the same xp as you. I have found this to be true when I have left a character and then gone back to pick them up. I too am not sure about the items. I don't think they upgrade themselfs.
Guenhwyvar & Catti-brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:52 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The NPCs will only adjust to your level the FIRST time you enter their map area:

Suppose, on your first trip through Beregost, you go into Kagain's house, recruit him, see that he's Level 2, take his nifty helmet, drop him, and leave. Much later in the game, when your party is all Level 5-6, you go back to Kagain--he's still Level 2.

But, if you never entered Kagain's house/store, you can go in there with a Level 5-6 party, and Kagain will be Level 5-6.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:24 PM   #6
Guenhwyvar & Catti-brie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you for correcting me sixofspades. I guess I was mistaken
Guenhwyvar & Catti-brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:06 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Guenhwyvar & Catti-brie:
Thank you for correcting me sixofspades. I guess I was mistaken
Well, my word isn't exactly gospel--I've been found to be wrong about something about once every 2 months. [img]smile.gif[/img] Playtest it & see for yourself!
Old 09-10-2002, 07:44 PM   #8
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

"Wrong" is such a strong word Six'. I prefer to think of it as mildly incorrect.

For this question though, I believe you're right.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:12 PM   #9
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Suppose, on your first trip through Beregost, you go into Kagain's house, recruit him, see that he's Level 2, take his nifty helmet, drop him, and leave. Much later in the game, when your party is all Level 5-6, you go back to Kagain--he's still Level 2.
But, if you never entered Kagain's house/store, you can go in there with a Level 5-6 party, and Kagain will be Level 5-6.
That is correct, but there is something that apparently nobody knows: NPCs don't *adjust* to your level. There are four Kagains, and the game creates corresponding one, depending on your level.

Four Kagains:
Level: 1, Exp.: 115, Items: Studded leather
Level: 2, Exp.: 2019, Items: Studded leather, 10 throwing axes
Level: 4, Exp.: 8232, Items: Chain mail, 10 throwing axes
Level: 6, Exp.: 33839, Items: Splint mail, 10 throwing axes
Apart from that, he wields battle axe, helmet and medium shield.

So, if you're 4th level fighter and have 8000 exp., Kagain you'll find will be 2nd level. If you get 232 more XPs, 4th level one would be created, but NOT if you have already talked to him.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 02:34 PM   #10
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

You've been looking at the .CRE files haven't you (least I think that's where they're stored)? Seriously though, that's how its supposed to work as its easier to build-in the finite state parameters. Fall into one category, and you get number 1; fall into another and you get number 2 etc.

You still can't talk to them first however, but it really depends if you know who you want and where they are. Besides, getting them on board early allows you to tailor an NPC somewhat. Part of the fun of BG is messing around with the NPCs.

[ 09-11-2002, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]