Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2001, 08:33 AM   #1
Dave the Drunk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've just recently bought a PC and got Baldurs Gate II as I used to play AD&D when I was a kid, bloody great game, but I haven't got a clue how to do the following and its really buggin me! Any assist would be really appreciated...

1. How do I get more than one genereated character (i.e. One you create at the begining) to start the quest?

2. How do I play multiplayer?

Cheers for the assistance in advance, must sound like a complete technophobe but the only things I have ever used on a pc before is poxy Excel and Windows etc etc

ta

------------------
I'm not as drunk as I think you am...
Old 08-20-2001, 08:49 AM   #2
Istaron
Banned User

Start a multiplayer session and take controll over all characters yourself.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-20-2001, 08:51 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave the Drunk:
1. How do I get more than one genereated character (i.e. One you create at the begining) to start the quest?
2. How do I play multiplayer?
I will answer Question2 first, when you enter BG2_SoA (after all the beginning credits), you will see 5 options, Single Player, Quit, Options, Multi Player and Movies.

You will have 6 options if you have ToB installed.

Click on Multi Player and select connect. Use TCP/IP to play with other players.

Give them your IP address which will appear when you create the game. Make sure everybody framerates are the same. You can check your framerate in the configuration.

Now for Question1, create a Serial game and create as many characters as you like (up till a maximum of six of course). Once satisfied, start the game, when the game starts, save the game.

Now go to your BG2 directory and look for your save in the Multi-player save folder, copy it over to the Single-player save folder instead and voila! You can now load it from Single-player and play in single-player mode.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 08-20-2001, 09:00 AM   #4
Ged
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Welcolm...
The only way of playing with more than 1 character is by playing multi..

Easist way I used was to generate the characters from either multi or single and export them, then you can import them into a multi session.

You need to setup TCP or serial for a multi session, even if you are not connecting to any other users (use your ip address (at the comand prompt type ipconfig /all (if using nt) or possible 127.1.1.1 though I've not tried this).

Once you start the multi session you can then import the characters you have genereated if you require - just click on the blank spots and you can then import them. - Don't have more than 5 as you need at least 1 NPC for each quest - I would suggest you keep Jaheria as she can heal you but Minsc is a fantastic fighter in my opinion (no flaming please!)

I would suggest that you try and play a single character first time round as you get more gameplay then with Multi (so I am told)

I find it easier to setup scripts for each character but still control all of them
I hope this helps - page 21 onwards of the manual describe the steps in more detail.
Have fun, Ged
Old 08-20-2001, 09:01 AM   #5
Dave the Drunk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated guys! Just one more quick query...

Whats the best set up to have for playing BGII, I've read about love patches and other mods, and also ToB, should I buy this and install it b4 I start BGII??? Does it give the game another level??

I really must instill in my future offspring the need to listen at Computing lessons and not to doss off playing Doom with Billy Fuggins over the network.

ta

------------------
Old 08-20-2001, 09:55 AM   #6
Desuma_Malevois

ToB adds some new areas to BG2, and allows your character(s) to cap out at 8000000 experience points (among other features). You may add it on later in the game if you wish; however, make sure all unofficial patches/hacks are removed first.

BTW, welcome to Ironworks!

Mike

[This message has been edited by Desuma_Malevois (edited 08-20-2001).]

Old 08-20-2001, 10:03 AM   #7
Dave the Drunk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cheers matey, really enjoyin the game at the mo. Just gotten onto the troll infested castle at present. Anyways cheers again for the assist

D

------------------