Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2001, 09:46 AM   #51
Davros
Takhisis Follower

So who's off topic now Donut (I am assuming that OZ are batting, and that 0/1 is really 1/0 and that Gilchrest is out again). Laugh while you can, but to borrow a term from Bilquis's signature :

Do not meddle in the affairs of Waugh, for you are tasty, and are good with coffee.

------------------
Old 06-14-2001, 09:54 AM   #52
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
So who's off topic now Donut (I am assuming that OZ are batting, and that 0/1 is really 1/0 and that Gilchrest is out again). Laugh while you can, but to borrow a term from Bilquis's signature :

Do not meddle in the affairs of Waugh, for you are tasty, and are good with coffee.

ROTFL

Hayden is out. Mark Waugh left out.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-14-2001, 09:59 AM   #53
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Mark Waugh wasn't left out, let's get the terminology right now, we have a very talented squad - rotated, rested, spelled - any of those terms could be considered correct usage. Omitted and dropped are terms used by sides of lesser talent, don't you agree Memmie??

------------------
Old 06-14-2001, 10:11 AM   #54
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Mark Waugh wasn't left out, let's get the terminology right now, we have a very talented squad - rotated, rested, spelled - any of those terms could be considered correct usage. Omitted and dropped are terms used by sides of lesser talent, don't you agree Memmie??

27/3 or 3/27 whichever way you put it Ponting goes

------------------

Old 06-14-2001, 12:42 PM   #55
Donut
Jack Burton

Davros - I think it's very rude of you Australians to go to bed while I'm baiting you .

I think I'll stay in this thread for a while, there's a bit of a storm brewing outside. but that's okay - you sleep through it! I'll leave a spare tin hat for you. That'st the beauty of putting the word Rugby or Cricket in a thread. Nobody ever goes there.

I'm off to get my daily attitude adjuster in the pub. It might be interesting tonight. I went to a party last night and some people behave rather badly. Consenting adults my arse!

------------------

Old 06-14-2001, 06:03 PM   #56
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Pardon my not saying goodnight there Donut. It was 1am, and one does have to work this morning. I realise how I must have disappointed, what with you being in mid taunt and all. So, Davr rubs the sleep form his eyes, and faces up once again to the barrage of taunts about his "poor performing" cricket side .

OK, looking up the match report now..... page loading.... what what what - Enland lose by 125 runs - all out for EIGHTY SIX. Were your fellows playing Western Samoa in the wrong game . Oh Donut, tell me we are going to face stronger opposition than this. If not, all the taunting is going to be one sided (well 3 sided actually - Davros, Memmie, and Yorick). The report didn't tell me how many Captain Corageous made (sigh, swoon).

Gee, I enjoyed that!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 02:17 AM   #57
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Davros - I think it's very rude of you Australians to go to bed while I'm baiting you .
Donut, I've discovered the internet thing you were telling me about! Here's what I found:

Rampant Australia dismiss England for their lowest one-day total
Dave Edmundson - 14 June 2001

As the night skies closed in around Old Trafford, so too did the Australians. Intimidating field placings more akin to Test cricket greeted new England batsmen, an umbrella slip cordon and a couple of short legs ensuring that Australia applied a vice-like tourniquet which squeezed the life out of the England reply, reducing the game to an exhibition of Australia's supreme bowling attack. England were totally eclipsed by 125 runs and dismissed for a record low of 86 all out.

England had set out in pursuit of a revised target of 212 from 44 overs after rain had curtailed Australia's total to 208 for seven from 48 overs. An immediate goal was to achieve 84 without loss from the mandatory 25 overs to win the match as the threat of rain was always a possibility. As it turned out, to merely survive for 25 overs was probably England's main batting achievement in an innings which only displayed the true calibre of this Australian outfit.

Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie were unmercifully persistent and accuracy personified. Knight and Trescothick could barely pierce the field and the pressure of these two quicks caused anxious times for the two left-handers. They did reach 25 without loss but after Knight had groped forward and edged McGrath behind, Stewart and Vaughan departed off consecutive balls to the hostile Gillespie. Shah avoided the hat-trick and had made a very fortuitous ten before edging Gillespie on to his pad to Ponting.

Three wickets went down in 20 balls for no runs. Trescothick was cleaned up by McGrath and Shane Warne made his appearance at his beloved Old Trafford to taunt the England lower order and turn the ball past the startled Hollioake. Andrew Symonds, meanwhile, joined in the fun, inducing Cork to find Hayden at deep mid-wicket off a rank long hop, and then plunging to his right to snap up Collingwood one-handed. Gough succumbed to Warne and Ian Harvey performed the last rites with the wicket of Mullally.

If this was an Ashes rehearsal, then England's recent renewed confidence after Test series successes looks misplaced. Australia were just simply too good. Their batsmen, thanks to Steve Waugh and Damien Martyn, rescued a poor position of 27 for three and although England, and in particular Hollioake and Mullally, bowled well and ensured Australia didn't set a huge target, it was quickly evident that Australia's standard is still way above that of England in one-day cricket.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 06:50 AM   #58
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

In defence of English cricket...

1) One day matches are not as popular here (look at the number of matches Alec Stewart (for example) has played. cf any Australian's 1 day experience.

2) The conditions are _not_ suitable for day-night matches. At all. Anyone who's ever visited England in summer can tell you that. It gets damp and takes hours to get dark enough for floodlights to have an effect (and the floodlights are not designed for cricket players, more for the spectators).

3) England were poor (despite my defence). Australia and Pakistan are better than us at one-day cricket. What does that tell us? In test series England have beaten WI(home), Pakistan(away), Sri Lanka(away) and drawn series against Pakistan(home) - that's not bad form. Lets watch Gough bowling to anyone at Headingley and see the game should be played

Old 06-15-2001, 08:58 AM   #59
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's ok, Antonius, I believe you!

I welcome comments from Donut on this topic.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 09:27 AM   #60
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hmmm, where is the man who is tasty, and is good with Coffee .

------------------