Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2002, 01:45 AM   #11
lroyo

Definitely roleplaying!!! It's not always easy though. But that's the idea I guess.

Old 05-04-2002, 02:10 AM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonSlayer25:
how many roleplayers are out there, compared to powergamers?
Well, this *IS* a CRPG forum, so your poll will be slightly biased! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] but can we have a powergaming RPG'er?

BTW, Welcome to Ironworks!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-04-2002, 02:15 AM   #13
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
quote:
Im not quite sure what the difference is
Yeah we know, its kinda obvious [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]OK, maybe id better explain my meaning... I didnt mean to say that powergaming IS roleplaying...
I meant to say that I have never come across the term powergaming before. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Powergaming was what you were doing in roleplaying. Basically being godlike, unbeatable uber powergamer who can take on anything without breaking a sweat [img]smile.gif[/img] A roleplayer is someone who trys and act out the roll they have set themselves. IE Always following the good/evil path whichever is their nature. And not using uber items in games like in BG2 the Cloak of Cheating and The Holy Uberer.
[/QUOTE]Hmm.. I am no power gamer then.. I Role-play. In real Pen and Paper, DM's *HATED* me when I play a Chaotic Evil character. lol, I totally tromped their dungeon. Anyone like tearing up a DM's world? Ever do it? then the DM gets mad and says something like "Mystra comes down in an avatar form and kills you". hehe.. oh, I was bad sometimes.. it was all in good fun though.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-04-2002, 02:37 AM   #14
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Powergaming was what you were doing in roleplaying. Basically being godlike, unbeatable uber powergamer who can take on anything without breaking a sweat [img]smile.gif[/img] A roleplayer is someone who trys and act out the roll they have set themselves. IE Always following the good/evil path whichever is their nature. And not using uber items in games like in BG2 the Cloak of Cheating and The Holy Uberer.
In that case, Roleplaying. Powergaming might be fun, but a) It isnt as much fun, and b) Its only fun for someone who is doing it when noone else is.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:37 AM   #15
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I voted RP. PG is fine if soloing, but in MP it ruins everyone else's game. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2002, 07:26 AM   #16
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Im not quite sure what the difference is
Yeah we know, its kinda obvious [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]OK, maybe id better explain my meaning... I didnt mean to say that powergaming IS roleplaying...
I meant to say that I have never come across the term powergaming before. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Powergaming was what you were doing in roleplaying. Basically being godlike, unbeatable uber powergamer who can take on anything without breaking a sweat [img]smile.gif[/img] A roleplayer is someone who trys and act out the roll they have set themselves. IE Always following the good/evil path whichever is their nature. And not using uber items in games like in BG2 the Cloak of Cheating and The Holy Uberer.
[/QUOTE]and to anybody thats made a character who has 3 chr just because the wanted to buff up something else(i know ive done that a dozen of times ) has played a powergamer character. you know, EVEN KORGAN has got 6 or 8 charisma. i think quasimodo has 1 or 2 chr but that doesnt matter [img]smile.gif[/img] . hey, it would be interesting if with charisma under 8, you suffer from alot stuff because a person with such charisma would be a freak(hehe, no offense to korgan ). what would you expect from a person like quasimodo
Old 05-04-2002, 08:19 AM   #17
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

RP i sway more fun I hate PGers with a passion. Them and all their Ubber guilds use to ruin EQ for the rest of us.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:52 PM   #18
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Im Süber Düber übër

• Level 200
  • Every Weapon In Existance
  • Maxed Stats For Everything
  • Only using the best items in the game
  • Have 7 mules
  • My 280000 hp is quite enough to get me through any scenario
  • I also have a crossbow that deals 180% to dark
  • Actually all of my weapons are 180% in some catagory
  • Any more and they'd be hacks... which I am oposed to using, mind you...
Old 05-04-2002, 02:20 PM   #19
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

In pnp gaming, I have to contend with a powergamer in my group. I am the gm and make sure to keep a leash on him, but he constantly chaffs at my restrictions. "Why can't I play a god?"
In comic terms, all the other players are Batman, but he wants to be Superman. Drives me nuts
Old 05-04-2002, 02:40 PM   #20
Encard
Quintesson

Hmm... probably a combination of both... depends on how I feel at the time, and what I'm playing.