Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

This is just a general post on IWD 2. With ur help i hope it is sucseful. When u here u can just give some opionions on the game ask question about whatevers going on and just say stuff about IWD 2 that bothers u, wether it be HOF or IWD. The thing is i dont care what u say just say something. I hope i dont get in trouble with the MODS but i dont see how ive had a few of my post shut down in my day. SOme of u may rember the pro hear'dalis society!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
Imrahil
Elminster

Sounds like a really good idea - maybe we should start a whole forum dedicated to that! Oh... wait...

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

u r a funny guy
Old 02-02-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Finn McCool
Dungeon Master

I just bought the game. I've gone through IW, BG & BG2. I was pretty bummed about the change in character generation. I'm not a big fan, in fact I hate the 16 point allocation system. As a result I used Dalekeeper and "brought" my characters over from BG2 which I had rolled. But now I feel like a schmuck because they're much better then what IW2 would normally allow. I don't to cheat and I only used the Shadow/Dalekeeper to make sure they get the proper experience and attacks/round, but this feels like cheating.

So, is it cheating to bring over (ie., copy the ability scores to new characters) former, legally rolled characters or can I waive any ethical conflicts in good faith?
Finn McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:26 AM   #5
dragonslayer
Manshoon

ur characters will now have amazing stats, very much overpowered in my opinion, a char. in 3rd ed. will have maybe 1 stat of 18, 2 max, otherwise all other will be very low. But the two stats at 18 will be worth much much more than 2 stats at 18 in BG2 for example.

or maybe i'll explain it like this: a stat of 18 here is like maybe 22-23 in bg2, sort of...i'm not much for explaing today, sorry
Old 02-02-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

2nd and 3rd edition aren't completly compatible, so literally copying your chars can be seen as cheating (or you can just call it roleplaying)
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #7
Finn McCool
Dungeon Master

Okay, thanks for the info. I will now un-import my characters and do it according to Hoyle. However, I still think there is something lacking in not "rolling" for stats as it takes something out of character generation. But maybe I'm just too old fashioned for these newfangled editions.
Finn McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 04:11 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Actual 3d ed still uses the dice rolling for char generation. However, the DM's Guide gives point allocation as an alternative, though it isn't the same as used in IWD2 (IWD2 is much more generous).

I suppose the designers felt that allowing roll-ups would make for over-powered characters, as some gamers would just re-roll until they had very good numbers. Of course, people who do that are also apt to use editors to get what they want anyway. I prefer rolling the dice myself, but there are ways to get better numbers, usually by reducing non-essential stats to the minimum. Not a great solution.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:23 PM   #9
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

i think 3rd edition is probably the best yet for any RPG game.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
dragonslayer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar'tanian:
i think 3rd edition is probably the best yet for any RPG game.
yup, i definitely have to agree on that, already with PoR 2, the first i think 3rd edition game, I loved it, well...the rules anyway...not a very good game... then BG2 came and I loved that...ooh well... [img]redface.gif[/img]