Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

How would you outfit her? I'm trying to get the most out of her, and I've heard she can be really powerful later on. I have never really played with her before, and am looking for some tips.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well she has enough power to take the boss of Watcher's Keep down. Give her Robe of Vecna, Amulet of Power, SotM, certain Ioun Stone and that should do it. Later on as her power grows just put something really nasty in your CC/Spell Sequencer like ADHW/cetrain ToB HLA and this should do the trick.

[ 10-22-2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I was planning on giving the staff of magi to imoen instead. I was thinking aerie could better take advantage of a 1 handed weapon, since she could then use a shield (and still hurl slings).

are there any one handed blunt weapons that give advantages? I was fiddling with the idea of giving her the defender of easthaven, so that she would get a little help in her worst department: the fact that shes so physically weak.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well she could Dual-Wield FoA and CFayear I guess.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 05:04 AM   #5
Riftmaker
Elminster

Theoretically, but her Thac0 would so terribly suck that it wouldn't be the greatest idea of all time.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Give Aerie the Staff of the Magi. Imoen will be fine with a shortbow, or another quarterstaff.
Anything that limits the number of short-lived spells you have to memorise just to keep her alive is welcome. As such, Aerie should wear a certain amulette available in Chapter 3.
Anything that makes her other spells harder to disrupt, or more numerous, is also welcome. This gives you a good piece of armour available from Chapter 1 (although it's unlikely you'll be able to get it that early), one or two rings depending on the class of your PC and on other NPCs you take along (most notably one who can join you in more chapters of the game than most), and gives you a choice between two amulettes. One is from Chateau Irenicus and the other the same one mentioned above. I'd take the latter since it has more uses.
Remember that she is only 50% mage, but 270% spellcaster. This should make decisions on memorisations a little easier, aswell as later decisions if you have Throne of Bhaal.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #7
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

When I use both Imoen and Aerie, I give Imoen the SotM also, because I like her to go invisible and scout (I almost never use another Thief).

Just give Aerie a sling (either Sling of Everard or Sling of Seeking... the latter only if you have a strength belt on her).

The melee weapon won't matter... she should NEVER engage in melee combat. Your idea of the Defender of Easthaven isn't a bad one, since it's a defensive weapon. You'll need to give her a strength-enhancing belt for that, though, because I think Aerie's strength is too low to use Flails.

Giving Aerie the Sensate Amulet is a good idea as well. She'll be permanently protected from evil, as well as have some more hit points. Since Imoen will have the SotM, that makes two party members protected from evil, which is a very good thing.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Here's the recipe for Aeire the "Destructoress":

Place in chain contingency (enemy sighted) : Aura of flaming death, Champions strength, Regeneration
Place in contingency : Righteous magic
Place in Minor sequencer : Armor of faith, Draw upon Holy might
Place in sequencer : Blur, Holy power, mirror image
Place in trigger : Tensers transformation, Improved haste, Spirit armour
Begin by casting Improved alacrity, cast black blade, sequencer then minor sequencer then sight your enemy, allow contingencies to fire before casting spell trigger... Enjoy
Old 10-24-2004, 04:47 AM   #9
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Riftmaker:
Theoretically, but her Thac0 would so terribly suck that it wouldn't be the greatest idea of all time.
Wouldn't Tenser's Transformation take care of that problem?

[ 10-24-2004, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:04 AM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Tenser's Transformation + Aerie = Bad idea. Aerie's power comes from her ability to wave her hands, make sparkly lights, and tear the enemy to shreds. Tenser's Transformation robs her completely of this advantage (I'm 99% sure it disables Cleric Spells and Special Abilities aswell), and turns her into a barely effective fighter (as compared to other tanks you may have in your party) thanks her multiclass. Taking her greatest power, to bump her weakest to a point that won't nearly match your other characters? Well, that's one way to not have her take over...
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote