Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2001, 01:02 PM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I´m kinda bugged over this....I accidentally thrashed all save games...so now I´m at sqare one again...no matter.
This time I´m gonna kick arse...I´ve fought the red dragon about twenty times and I´m just being hampered into dogmeat everytime...I do not have a cleric in my party...the question is:
Does the dragon really heals itself when it reaches a certain state of injured status...in that case how do I finish it before it heals itself....would magic misiles do the trick or perhaps arrows of dispelling...they should...theoretically...dispell the heal or what?

DavidEddingsRules
Old 06-03-2001, 01:13 PM   #2
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

yes, you have to finish it off quickly when u get it to near death, otherwise itll cast a heal spell on itself. but this takes about 10 seconds to cast, and if hes in combat he wont usually take the time to cast it.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:16 PM   #3
Volourn
Manshoon

I have NEVER seen any of the dragons heal themselves in ANY of my games. However, others have so I'm sure it happens. Just don't let up, and continually attack him. Never give the over-sized jerk Firkragg a break. HEHEH!!!
Old 06-03-2001, 01:24 PM   #4
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Maybe Spoilers *******
Well the Red dragon isn't that hard, it doesn't attack you until you attack it, it sits there and gives you plenty of time to prepare before you beat it up. Some of the hints I can give (without cheating).
1) Make sure each character has some greater cure potions. You might not have time to cast any healing spells with a dragon casting you, but a quick drink and run works.
2) If your mage has summoning spells USE THEM! make sure you load up with summoned monsters, they take the heat off your fighters. Make sure you have 5 of them at all times if possible hitting on the dragon.
3) Im not sure what your party is, so I can't give specific help, but some general help. Make sure all archers use +2 arrows and of course fighters their strongest weapons and Dragonslayer longsword if you have it. I believe Rings of the RAM work great against any foes, use those right off the bat if you have any.
I also found wands of lightning seem to hit dragons quite easy without worrying about resistance. Load up your mage with negation spells (piercing, warding whip, etc) you can pause the game to see what spells the dragon puts up so you can determine what spells to use.

This is how i usually attacked it. I surrounded the dragon with my fighters and 5 summoned creatures. I cast fire protection spells, used what potions i needed (giant strength, fire resistance, etc), used power up spells (holy might, speed, bless), moved my mage back from the melee, then started the initial attack with my mage (using lowerresistance, disintegrate, etc). I timed the attack so I attacked with everyone else about the same time the spell hit. Usually you will do major damage even before the dragon gets his defenses up.
Next, you usually have to fight through a wing gust. Just keep your warriors attacking with your summoned creatures, throwing a negation spell or such once in a while. Keep your warriors on all sides to reduce any breath attacks, and run away and drink and heal up when hurt.
I found as long as i had summoned creatues to slow it up and take attacks, and kept my warriors surrounding it instead of bunching up together for a breath attack, usually I only had to worry about 1 guy that needed healing. There are many other things each class can do determining on what they are..

zerkers zerk, kensai use Kai power, clerics can summon and holy might, thieves start hidden and backstab (I believe dragons are immune to backstab, but you can always try), whole lots to do.
Old 06-04-2001, 12:52 PM   #5
Sparhawk
Quintesson

If I use a fire res. potion...is it cumulative...I mean if I drink one and it sets med to 25 res. to fire and I drink one more is it 50 res. to fire or stille 25 res, to fire?

DavidEddingsRules
Old 06-04-2001, 01:04 PM   #6
Diablo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

this might be a bit of a spoiler but all you have to do is get mages with cloudkill memorized, 7 or 8 cloudkills usually does the trick killing him or reducing him to near death. i used edwin at level10 because he has 6 level 5 spell slots. if it is not dead make sure you have lots of magic missiles and/or lightning bolts (lightning duffs dragons) and just hope he doesn't use red dragon breath on your mages.

also if you want mages to kick ass and you have the collectors edition with deidre i strongly suggest you buy the robe of vecna ( -4 casting time, base armour set to 5), it is a brilliant magic item and allows you to cast sweet spells in very little time. however it is pricy, around 25k depending on your rep and charisma.

------------------
What you don't know can hurt you
Old 06-04-2001, 01:08 PM   #7
Legolas the Elven Archer

Welcome to the board!

First off, you can not dispel the effects of a heal (thank goodness, because if you could, one dispel magic would finish off my party ). If the dragon heals itself the only way to remove it is by damaging the dragon. (so a magic missile would help if the dragon didn't have too much magical resistance.)
I don't know if I have been lucky, but the three dragons I didn't leave alive never cast anything like heal. Volourn had the same, so I believe the chances aren't that big.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-04-2001, 02:45 PM   #8
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I´ve fought Firekrag twenty times or so....and every time he reaches the state of near dead he heals himself.....now THAT can´t be a bug and I´ve got the settings on normal...in the difficulty options.
Of course it can be a little tricky to beat him without a Cleric!!'

DavidEddingsRules
Old 06-04-2001, 03:01 PM   #9
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

I let him heal himself...it makes my game more fun that way

And yes - I carry 3 cleric.

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.