Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, when I create a new party in my IWD2 game and tell it I'm done, it's supposed to launch the game but instead tells me I don't have disc 2 in the C drive. Well, I DO have disc 2 in the D drive which is my cd rom drive! So what the heck do I do?

Never had this problem before and it may be a simple one (we had to swap my cd drive for another one temporarily as the case door kept pressing the button on and off) so maybe it's the temporary drive that's not working right (although this is the ONLY place it gives me trouble!) or maybe I need to tell my pc to look in D for the game?

Thing is, it LOOKS in d to auto start them and I've played IWD2 (existing game) and other games with no problem- it's just launching the new one that's the issue!

Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2003, 12:54 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Sounds like its trying to copy-protect by checking the disc in drive C. Since C is the hard drive, its failing. Simplest answer would be to download a no-cd patch for IWD2. www.gamecopyworld.com probably have one.

Other than that, searching the .ini files in the IWD2 directory, and failing that the registry , should turn up something that controls what drive it looks at. And if all that fails, reinstalling the game should fix it.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, andrewas! I'm going to be upgrading my whole system in the next few days, and most likely will have to reinstall the game anyway, so maybe that will fix it, but I was curious to know if anyone else had seen that problem.

Weird thing is, it will let me play existing games just fine!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Somewhere, hidden where noone will hopefully notice it, is probably a configuration file that tells the game where its pieces are. It may be a config file in the directory where the game is installed, it may be buried in the registry, or it may be linked in the starting icon. Or someplace else entirely

Search through those areas looking for C:, and you might have enough luck to clean it up. Failing that, a reinstall (with game backups, of course) will likely fix the problem.

I had a world of trouble when I installed a second hard drive on my daughter's PC. Almost every game blew up because the CD was now E: instead of D:. Not fun... especially since no one else here can figure that out, and she wants to be attended to immediately upon problem discovery...

Good luck on the new machine! That's always a fun time in life [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.