Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 08:14 AM   #31
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It's all good V. I have not BSed with you much, so I dont know your sense of humor. Sorry I got so upset. Just did'nt see the point of your remarks. Bigons.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:54 AM   #32
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Final thought: anyone who thinks all classical is more musically developed than all rock has never hear Phish, which is as technically talented, learned, skilled, and complex as Mozart - whether you like their music or not.
I don't think the two should even be mentioned in the same sentence, but either way: classical music is in an entirely different league than modern day music. I'm not saying it's better or worse (because I fear we'll get a tiresome "is not!" "are too!" debate ), it's just... different. Not only the way of composing, instrumentation, scale, structure, timelessness, depth, climax building, length, focus, purpose and many other aspects, but the listening experience just the same... The cultural backgrounds and the timesetting in which the music was composed play a role as well.
Except on a purely subjective level and open to a lot of criticism, I doubt it's really possible to say how "Phish is as talented, learned, skilled and complex as Mozart"; we're talking about two different kinds of expression of art alltogether. It's almost like saying how Phish is as talented, learned, skilled and complex as Vincent van Gogh, you just can't compare the two.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:23 AM   #33
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, Grojlach, I respectfully disagree. Believe me, I love classical types of music, especially Mozart and Bach to name a few.

But, I think the extreme talent and ability to mush so much wonderful sound into such small spaces of time that was Mozart's forte can still be found in musicians. Yes, the music is "different," but I have really found no theoretical differences between the music of hundreds of years ago and that of today. From the time music first became commercialized, I think it is all fair game to use in comparrison. And, yes, Mozart was a contract musician.

It is fair to compare Rembrandt to Caravaggio to Van Gogh to Dali - a collage of artists spanning many centuries, so why not compare Mozart to Phish or someone else in modern music (perhaps Blakey's jazz [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] )

I'll give you one fair comparrison. To the extent the movie "Amadeus" is fairly historically accurate, it was said of Mozart's music that "there are simply too many notes for the ear to hear." In the modern day, that's Phish.

Why do I pick on this now-separated group of Vermonters as an example? Simple, I think they all had master's degrees in music and are technically and classically educated in music. But, I guess I could have picked a "rock opera" too. The point is historical comparrison is fair in music as it is in any other art form and as it is in politics and war.