Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2001, 07:35 PM   #11
BLKCat
The Magister

Nope... no multiplayer for me! Never have and probably never will. I don't consider it egotistical. (Maybe a wee bit egocentric!) I have no interest in playing my computer game with others!

BLKCat The Lone Gamer

------------------
...Events are cowards: they don't occur singly, but instead they run in packs and leap out at you all at once.
(Excerpt from "Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman)
BLKCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 04:19 PM   #12
alz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

W&W was always a Windows game, FYI. It was built from the ground up to be a multiplayer game, but it boiled down to zero time (or interest in Activision) to test it. Activision would have had to double up their beta testing several times to test it in multiplayer mode, and they simply didn't want to spend the money doing that.

BG is a different system. It's not 3D but tile-based, which means you can pack more content in for the same cost of development (in a nutshell). More content could have been made for W&W if it wasn't a new engine (the builders were the bug-testers as well) and proper time-management was in place.

HPI wasn't forced to make an un-official patch. I honestly believe DWB wants to continue making this game better. He put that out on his own time and money. The reason he hasn't made another patch is because he's seeking funding for another project (so HPI stays afloat). Once that's settled, I strongly suspect he'll come back and fix more bugs, maybe even add in multiplayer. He was always pro-multi. This is one reason we left Westwood; they didn't want multiplayer.

Use of 3D cards came late in the game. If W&W had come out on time, it would have been fairly competative, but it took 2 years too long, unfortunately. Any software engine that get's vamped into a hardware engine always has it's share of problems.

From what I hear, the demo/project/sample piece HPI has been working on is pretty cool(!). If I heard right, all the software-render coding has been stripped out, there's full-screen (zero interface option) support, as well as other bells and whistles tweaked from all the (ahem-negative-ahem) feedback.

Look at it this way: There's only one guy who can do anything to this game for the hundreds of fans out there, and he's trying to pay da bills.
alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 04:27 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Alz, there you are! We had a question for you over in the Character-building post...just curious why the Rogue of all the starting classes had to wait until Ishad N'ha to start training? It seemed rather arbitrary and unfair. Here's a link to the thread...

http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/No...ML/004969.html

Thanks,
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 04:29 PM   #14
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

alz - Nice to see you still watching the board and sharing your insiders information! Really appreciate your comments!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 09:20 PM   #15
alz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I pop in once a week or so and look over da subjects to see if anything production/level-wise catches my eye

I'll go check the Rogue post
Old 05-12-2001, 09:24 PM   #16
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

alz - Excellent!!!

and what are you up to these days, if you can and don't mind sharing that info too?

Wyv

(Do you ever talk/email with D.W.?? Does he ever come over here anymore and actually see that there are some serious fans?? Just wondered)
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 04:05 AM   #17
alz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm workin' on Aliens vs. Predator 2

I haven't talked to Dave in awhile (except for a short email a month ago). It was (unfortunately) my impression that Dave didn't cruise the net messageboards that often. It was typically Chris Appel who did a lot of the fishing around the net, and he's no longer at HPI, either. He always appreciates fans though

Old 05-13-2001, 05:13 AM   #18
J0bezone
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would love to play W&W with other people!

In fact, is it me or does the entire game seems like a very open system?
The quests, puzzles, and key people for the game seem to be placed in the world, and the environment works itself out.
J0bezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 10:17 AM   #19
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Sign me In.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote