Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2001, 09:16 AM   #1
Ziroc

I was reading the new FAQ 3.0, and they said that they doubt that there will be an option to allow custom 'skins' that fans can draw.

Another thing that WILL make NWN a falure is not allowing importing or creation of models to insert into the game.

Same thing with textures.. I have nearly 3 gig's of great textures, and would really create some awesome areas with them. I mean look at past history: DOOM and Quake were/are so popular because users can design their OWN custon levels and even models!! Also allows inserting new textures and skins. I just hope they allow something like this, or atleast an add-on or maybe fans can hack add-ons to allow this.

But mark my words- if it's not, these prebuilt tiles will get old quick, and it'll die within 6 months. I want NWN to explode on the internet!! I want everyone to play and make levels, ya know?

What do you think?

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
Old 03-29-2001, 09:36 AM   #2
The Xlord
Dungeon Master

I agree.
I hope that we can draw our own skins, worlds and leveles, if it's true that tell, then I'm gong to be very angry at Bioware and Interplay.

The Xlord

------------------
Defender and master of Good archmagic
:mage1:
The Xlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 03:38 PM   #3
Kinthalis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Bioware has said that they want to implement a robust, elegant system for allowing of custom content. This means that it might not make it on the first release, but that then it would be worked on for an expansion.

The thing is, even with custom content allowed, I doubt there will be many good quality models and tile sets.

Consider that it takes a TEAM of Biowarian Artists over 3 MONTHS to come up with a finished tile set.

This and the fact the Bioware uses some in-house photoshop and 3d Studio Max plug-ins to make their models and tile sets, makes me believe that this feature most likely will not be included in the orgiginal release of NWN. But could be possible for an expansion.
Kinthalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 03:54 PM   #4
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinthalis:
Bioware has said that they want to implement a robust, elegant system for allowing of custom content. This means that it might not make it on the first release, but that then it would be worked on for an expansion.

The thing is, even with custom content allowed, I doubt there will be many good quality models and tile sets.

Consider that it takes a TEAM of Biowarian Artists over 3 MONTHS to come up with a finished tile set.

This and the fact the Bioware uses some in-house photoshop and 3d Studio Max plug-ins to make their models and tile sets, makes me believe that this feature most likely will not be included in the orgiginal release of NWN. But could be possible for an expansion.

I have all of those programs, plus trueSpace5 and Lightwave (I'm a 3D Modeler, and can say that creating one tile, like say a doorway or a fireplace would take maybe 15 mins to make (detailed model with good texturing)). I'm just worried thats all.. I don't wanna get all set up for a fall

Ziroc
Old 03-30-2001, 05:54 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I was reading the new FAQ 3.0, and they said that they doubt that there will be an option to allow custom 'skins' that fans can draw.

Another thing that WILL make NWN a falure is not allowing importing or creation of models to insert into the game.

Same thing with textures.. I have nearly 3 gig's of great textures, and would really create some awesome areas with them. I mean look at past history: DOOM and Quake were/are so popular because users can design their OWN custon levels and even models!! Also allows inserting new textures and skins. I just hope they allow something like this, or atleast an add-on or maybe fans can hack add-ons to allow this.

But mark my words- if it's not, these prebuilt tiles will get old quick, and it'll die within 6 months. I want NWN to explode on the internet!! I want everyone to play and make levels, ya know?

What do you think?

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
Hmm, seems odd, why would they not support it. look ant Unreal Tournament, implementing new textures and models are easy peasy.. and there are alot of them too.
Can´t be that hard to make the changes to make it work without too much trouble.
Hmm, maybe we should start to gather a e-mail adresses and send to them so they will let us do what we want

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 04:56 AM   #6
Poe_the_Monk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would not get too worried about the tile sets in NWN. This game's graphical content already far exceeds any other game in existence. The general populace is also alot more tolerant to the mundane. ....meaning..the "shelf life" of a given tile style is far longer for joe public than it would be for a guy like yourself. Graphical rendering is something you do a great deal of, so you are by nature more attuned to it and more aware of it..and with that, comes a greater appreciation for it. Joe public is somewhere in the middle. I would also imagine there are logistical reasons why 3rd party implementation will not be a part of NWN...at least out of the box. If you create a module full of your own created environment components, everyone who enters the portal to your part of the world will have to download a big chunk of data so they can see what your seeing. Another issue I can think of is, the potential difficulty in applying your tile sets to their block models..which can consist of several layered elements, like transperency, etc. There may simply be hardcoding issues that we are not aware of, I dont know.

I think also one of their big concerns is for the sake of consistency and keeping all the building elements uniform. I do know that, that very thing is a big factor in why they will be able to provide us with such powerful DM editor which is as user friendly as it is proclaimed to be.
Everything out of the box was designed by the same group of artists and the components were built using whatever uniform process was used. ..and because of this....all of the environmental elements, and objects will look like they all belong in this world and will retain a certain artistic style that reflects those artists, the whole world through.

I also would like to see the DM control extend to tile design as well so that I will eventually be able to incorporate fresh designs from folks such as yourself when the time comes, but I am extremely confident that we will have more "stuff" to work with than we will know what to do with, right out of the box.

This game is going to set the standard for gaming of its type. The thing that makes me feel good is that it is in the hands of some of the most competant game makers in this industry.

catch you in NWN

Poe the Monk

Poe_the_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 02:28 PM   #7
Stiklestad
Dungeon Master

think on the LOOOOOOTS of MBs the people will have to download to play your map....
Stiklestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 08:32 PM   #8
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

wow, good thing I understood all of that!
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 09:04 AM   #9
Lord Shield

That's a very good point, but I predict Black Isle will make lots of money from bolt-on software such as design kits for the textures/skins, etc. At the moment we're just looking at a game/game designer. More variety later I should hope