Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2001, 08:16 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Ok let's get back to business here.

Do you think that there has been a big mistake regarding the testing of Postal Workers in D.C.?

Many of them feel they are second class citizens, because they were not given attention in a timely manner. Where as even the "sniffing" dogs were tested on Capitol Hill, the people at the Post Office that supplies the mail to the area were not. The result 2 mail handlers are dead.

Is this a valid concern and are Post Office superiors and the CDC at fault?

Your thoughts?

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:29 PM   #2
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

The postal workers have a right to be upset about that. They should have been tested at the same time the people on capitol hill were, no doubt about it. I would say a part of the blame should lie with the Postmaster General, considering he was on capitol hill at the time more than likely. It's kind of disgraceful when politicians think they are more powerful and important than other people in the country, when it's those other people who give them whatever power they have.

BTW, I'm glad you're back Skywalker, you always bring up angles to things that we can think about that we sometimes miss seeing
------------------

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon

[This message has been edited by Prime2U (edited 10-24-2001).]
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:32 PM   #3
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

I just doesn't seem right to me. The whole Anthrax "scare" I mean. The tactic seems to be one of diversion. The classic ant-hill theory, you kick a hole in the top af an ant-hill and all the ants come running to the hole to fix it, leaving the rest of the hill exposed and in danger. What scares me is the purpose of the letters.
The psyco doing these sick mini-bio attacks cant honestly expect to do any "real" dammage by sending a handful of people to the grave, and a few hundred to the local Cipro dealer. Especially with a disease that is not even contagious,....I mean whats the piont unless this is just a diversionary tactic for something bigger and much worse. Know what I mean?
We should be scared, but for what ....Anthrax? or whats comming after?
------------------

I'm not BAD,.....but the BAD don't mess with me!"

[This message has been edited by Bullvye (edited 10-24-2001).]
Bullvye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:49 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I have a feeling that people did not take these cases of anthrax very seriously, since at least until then, only one person had died, and that was the very first case in Florida. Most of the cases since then popping up as well were skin type anthrax, which is not as detrimental as the inhaled form. I think we were all taken by surprise. Yes, more caution should have been taken, and postal workers should have been maybe considered a bit more, as these anthrax cases have all come through the MAIL. But as usual, nothing gets done until somebody dies, then eyes start to open. I hope that now things have changed, and everyone is on high alert, and measures are being taken to inspect packages in a safe way. Don't know if there is a way to do that, but I hope so. We have at work a mailman that has delivered mail to us for at least 10 years, I've seen him come to our work every day, and have seen him change in time from being a skinny long haired rocker dude LOL, to getting wider, but still kept the long hair in a pony tail, then came a few tattoos LOL, looked like a Harley biker LOl, cool..., then he got a buzz cut and grew a short beard. Just I have seen him grow and change throughout the years, and even though he just comes in and drops off the mail and says hello and "Have a nice day", he is a part of our lives in some way after so many years, a constant, and I hate to think that he is in danger now.

------------------
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:51 PM   #5
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bullvye:
I just doesn't seem right to me. The whole Anthrax "scare" I mean. The tactic seems to be one of diversion. The classic ant-hill theory, you kick a hole in the top af an ant-hill and all the ants come running to the hole to fix it, leaving the rest of the hill exposed and in danger. What scares me is the purpose of the letters.
The psyco doing these sick mini-bio attacks cant honestly expect to do any "real" dammage by sending a handful of people to the grave, and a few hundred to the local Cipro dealer. Especially with a disease that is not even contagious,....I mean whats the piont unless this is just a diversionary tactic for something bigger and much worse. Know what I mean?
We should be scared, but for what ....Anthrax? or whats comming after?

It keeps us off balance, and on edge. A classic scare tactic. The basis of terrorism is fear in the masses, and this anthrax attack accomplishes just that.
It doesn't have to take a lot of lives to do so, and so far it has done a good job of afflicting just the right people. The media, who because they are the ones attacked by it blow it out of proportion, and the government, the key figure in the battle at hand. Just because it's small doesn't mean it isn't well thought out or effective. If they can sap the people's will to retaliate for fear of bio reprisals, they've accomplised their goals handily.

------------------

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:11 PM   #6
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

There was mistakes made but not intentional mistakes. When we think about the mail or mailing anything we seal it up. We are used to sealed letters in fact I'll bet even now if you think of the words "mail/letter/envelope". In your mind's eye you see white envelope addressed to you sitting there all pretty and sealed up waiting for you to open it. This is new to us so it will take some time to get up to speed on this counter terrorist stuff.
What worries me is an attitude that I saw in a postal worker "that they were being treated like second class citizens". I thunked to myself "man didn't the attacks of Sept.11,2001 prove we are all in this together" stop the class warfare and envy. After we remove the terrorist then we can get back to "scrapping amoungst ourselves". As I have said all along if anyone wishes to see the USA colapse leave us alone and we'll do it ourselves, but if any outsider jumps on us we'll band together for several generations.

------------------
Crustiest of the OLD COOTS
Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!
John D Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:15 PM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

I wonder if the cretins that sent the Anthrax letters licked the envelopes to seal them?

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:20 PM   #8
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I wonder if the cretins that sent the Anthrax letters licked the envelopes to seal them?

Mark
One can allways hope

------------------
Crustiest of the OLD COOTS
Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!
John D Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:21 PM   #9
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:

It keeps us off balance, and on edge. A classic scare tactic. The basis of terrorism is fear in the masses, and this anthrax attack accomplishes just that.
It doesn't have to take a lot of lives to do so, and so far it has done a good job of afflicting just the right people. The media, who because they are the ones attacked by it blow it out of proportion, and the government, the key figure in the battle at hand. Just because it's small doesn't mean it isn't well thought out or effective. If they can sap the people's will to retaliate for fear of bio reprisals, they've accomplised their goals handily.

Good luck at sapping the will of the American people. The only thing that they are going to succeed in doing is making us so incredibly mad that our resolve will will turn to iron. Espesially when we find the bastard responsible!

------------------

I'm not BAD,.....but the BAD don't mess with me!"
Bullvye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:25 PM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Ok let's get back to business here.

Do you think that there has been a big mistake regarding the testing of Postal Workers in D.C.?

Many of them feel they are second class citizens, because they were not given attention in a timely manner. Where as even the "sniffing" dogs were tested on Capitol Hill, the people at the Post Office that supplies the mail to the area were not. The result 2 mail handlers are dead.

Is this a valid concern and are Post Office superiors and the CDC at fault?

Your thoughts?

Mark
I wasn't aware of that, Skywalker. I don't remember hearing/seeing anything about that on news programmes. I mean, I knew about the people dying, but not that they had not been tested. I would have thought postal workers would have priority second only to government ministers. If not first priority, come to think of it, since they handle much more mail than goverment officers and the powder is bound to seep from the envelopes.
Either way, its pretty bad.

------------------

Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote