Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Thumbs Up Boldly going...

Ashes of "Star Trek" creator and wife rocketing to deep space

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) – Ashes of "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry and his actress wife will blast toward the far reaches of the cosmos in keeping with the show's famed opening line "Space, the final frontier."

Majel Roddenberry died in December, two months before her 77th birthday, and will posthumously fulfill a "dream of journeying through space with her husband," according to Celestis Inc, the US company behind the memorial flight.

Celestis sent some of Gene Roddenberry's ashes into orbit around the earth in a premier Founders Flight rocket launch in 1997.

Gene Roddenberry died six years earlier with a wish to explore space in keeping with characters in his adventure television show that first aired in the late 1960s and still has a strong cult following.

The rifle-cartridge sized canister of ashes, along with the remains of others onboard the rocket, was ostensibly burned into oblivion as it re-entered Earth's atmosphere.

"We are deeply honored to have flown Gene on our first mission, and to be entrusted by the Roddenberry family to fulfill Majel's dream of flying in space with her husband," said Celestis president Charles Chafer.

A launch date has yet to be determined.

Majel Roddenberry was remembered as "The First Lady of Star Trek" due to her close relationship to her husband and roles in many "Star Trek" film and television episodes.

She played Nurse Chapel in the "Star Trek" television shows and had parts in other classic programs including "Leave it to Beaver" and "The Lucy Show."

"Star Trek" fans can visit the Celestis.com website to submit messages to accompany the couple into space.

"Celestis will be fulfilling a pledge made to my mother in 1995," said the couple's son, Eugene Roddenberry.

"To launch both my mother and father together, side by side, and carry their spirits, memories, and the message of their life's work into the cosmos on an infinite journey into deep space."

The ashes of "Star Trek" actor James Doohan, who played the USS Enterprise's chief engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, were sent into space in April 2007.

=================
Found this under my odd news sources, but I believe it's worthy to stand on its own.

May their journey inspire others. Live long and prosper.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Default Re: Boldly going...

Thats the way to..die?

I mean I would love my ashes be wandering aimlessly in the space. How cool :p

Although its sad to see them go (though its been a couple months/years) - I still think its pretty cool that they're actually going to do this.

Dying = Uncool

Dying, having sent your ashes to fly in space= Cool.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
Target
Red Dragon

Default Re: Boldly going...

I agree Bungleau, well posted!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote