Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My scanner will not go forward, and gives me a message that it is possibly locked. I checked the locking mechanism on it (for shipping) and it is unlocked.

Anyone know what I might be able to do? I do not see that the track is broken, so in appearances it seems fine.

[ 09-13-2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Awh Larry, electro-mechanical devices are my cup-o-tea. [img]graemlins/homer.gif[/img] But:
1. If it has an external start/copy/scan/whatever button, push and hold for 3 sec.
2. Use sales receipt and take it back.
3. Use the warranty, and ship it back.
4. Turn off/Unplug it, and disconnect from pc for 45 seconds, then try again.
5. Use rubber mallet to 'tap' the sides while holding the action button, or having software twain attempt scan.
6. Use steel hammer, call maid service for glass clean up at Larrys desk!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Check the manufacturer's site for FAQs and tech support. Depending on how old it is and how dedicated you are to keeping it, I might find myself taking it apart to see if anything "looks stuck".

'Course, a new all-purpose machine would set you back less than $100... less than $200 if you want it network-enabled.

And a new machine would probably be faster, more compatible, have more gadgets, gizmos, bells, and whistles, be cheaper to operate, and be environmentally friendly and SOx-compliant, too [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

After opening it up and checking the drive belt, everything looked okay, and I even manually pulled the light over to the other end just to see if it would return back to its start position when powered up. It did return with no strange noises or anything like that, but still would not move forward on its own. Maybe the forward-motion engine has kapoot. Ah well...looks like I'll have to get another scanner...a needed tool in my home but not one that I wanted to replace at this time. Mostly because I think my dryer overheated today! There is no end to the misery.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Update on this. My scanner is indeed dead and I am in the market for a new one. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion. I have been doing my own searching and found that Canon and Epson get the best user-rated scores. I would prefer a Canon, myself.

So...I basically have two types to choose from.
1. One that just scans photos and paper.
2. One that scans as the latter, but also scans film negatives.

The thing is, I don't really need a negative film scanner because I take digital pics and my old film negatives are just not worth the time to scan. I have no need for this feature...BUT these higher-end scanners seem to scan better with the technology that they have, instead of the regular ones. My big desire for this scanner would be scanning picture quality.

Now...I have a few to choose from. Right now, I am looking at this site:

Canon.com's scanner section

The canon 8400f seems to be a great buy, but it is the exact same machine as the 4200f, except the 8400f is packaged with different software. They both have the same scanning technology.

If I do not need the film feature, then the LiDe 35 seems to be the right choice...but it got some bad marks from some consumers.

My biggest problem with all these scanners is that one lady said that she was mad that there was no on/off switch, and that she had to unplug and replug the machine to wake it up from sleep mode.

Does anyone have one of these?

Do you use something else that is better, but near the same price?

[ 09-13-2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-14-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Based upon the stats Larry, I would drop the LiDe35. It along with the LiDe 500f have the newer CIS scanner as opposed the the time tested CCD. Kinda like a new model, or major change in model, automobile, give it a couple years to be perfected. Next comes the resolutions, it apperas the 420 and 840 have the advantage here. The difference between the 420 and 840, other than cosmetic, appears to be software. That's a whole lot of older 'stuff' packed with the 840. Photoshop elements 3.0 has been on the shelf for awhile now. The 420 appears to be the best all around product for the price. One other thing you might want to inquire about on the LiDe series, is the scan bed glass or poly?

I have Cannon printer, and Epson scanner. Do not have the film option, not sure what I'd do with it, but there are boxes and such with old negatives in it. Wonder how much midnight oil could be saved without that option?

Lastly, these newer scanners do not have a power hook up, only a USB which provides link, and power. I'm not so sure about that yet either. Me tinks a tad bit more research might shed some light on the project.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thank you very much for the input. I am not going to be hasty going into this purchase at all...even though not having one is causing me some trouble right now. I'd rather hold out for a while before getting something and regretting it.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
dhughes
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not sure whether you've made a decision yet, but I recently purchased a Canon (CanoScan LiDE500f) scanner, and am in love with it already!

My old scanner is still working, but is just too big to keep with my new computer (it is at least 8 years old, a HP $1000. job, which still works wonderfully and does a great job)... anyway, the new Canon is small, light, and a real spacesaver! Not to mention it is really easy to use, and also does a very good job of scanning.

I would have replaced my old one years ago had I tried this out earlier...

Well, that's all.. good luck with whatever you decide!

dhughes
dhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the mention, dhughes. Tell me, is there any trouble with no off/on button? I heard that this was a tricky situation with waking the machine up from idle mode. Also...what OS do you have? One lady in a review said she could not get it to work on XP, with the SP2.

[ 09-16-2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

[img]graemlins/Bump.gif[/img] for hopes of more responses and or answer to previous question.