Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2001, 07:55 AM   #11
Sir_Tainly

Thanks for all the help guys,

Fianlly killed her last night. I sammoned loads of monsters and guided them into the chamber with my thief "hidden in shadows". Used these cannon fodder to kill the archers, so only had to fight the big cheese herself and her two mages. Lost two members of party, but got enough ££££ to resurrect them.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123
Old 03-30-2001, 11:40 AM   #12
Balgin
Elminster

Personally Zenith, I prefer to have two close combat fighter types (Paladins and Fighters do the job quite well), a cleric, a magic user, and two ranged types at the back (making one a thief to deal with traps).

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 05:31 PM   #13
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

well i didn't mean to hurt your feelings Zenith.. but you can't use magic missles on Yuxonemai if you're playing thru with no cheats. Magic Missle will only affect her with the first shot(for like, 5 points) then the rest will be resisted from there out. Yuxonemai can only be hit with +3 weapons, so arrows and sling bullets are right out cuz the best you could get up to here is +2. of course, the magic arrows will help with archers.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 09:10 PM   #14
Balgin
Elminster

With respect Zenith, slinging a hand full of magic missiles (the spell that is rather than arrows, bolts or hurled projectiles) has the pleasurable result of her making multiple resistance checks. If she fails as much as one it'll disrupt spell casting and as such is a great asset(it has a rather quick casting time). I must here point out that magic missile must be one of the most overused spells in the AD&D game. Probably the most overused at low levels (when sleep is much more powerful for a first level spell caster to fling, no save, etc). I know that with 3rd Ed a save is allowed but the power to have ones foes fall into a heavy slumber is considerably more effective than to strike up to five enemies packed close together for a small ammount of damage.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Old 03-31-2001, 09:17 PM   #15
Balgin
Elminster

And in fact, looking back at the gramar of Zenith's original post I'm inclined to side with him since the comment about +3 weapons was refering to a close combat only character.

With respect to haste potions, I do not use such magic for a very simple reason. That is that being subjected to a haste spell ages the subject by one year. This was not implemented in this game. Also any form of magical aging requires a system shock test, failure resulting in final, unressurectable death. For this reason I generally avoid any such magic if the character has a low constitution and prefer to live. I know that this is not implemented in the BG series but I don't want to start any bad habits. I also find that having individually hasted characters tends to mean that they run on ahead and get stranded amongst the monsters or fall into un detected traps.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Old 04-04-2001, 10:25 PM   #16
Glycerine
Manshoon

All of the above tactics are very good. Not sure if anyone mentioned this but when you get into a huge fight like that it always helps to:

1.) Have summoned creatured to pull some of the pain away from your main characters.

2.) Entagle / Web / (And if you have HoW) Thorns combo. This is really quite effective at holding and damaging lots of enemies at once. The thorns don't do much damage, but they can keep casters off of you for a few precious seconds.

For me Magic Missle didn't seem to work too well because her magic resistance kept stopping it every time. It ended up being just a toe to toe fight. Remember to keep your fighters healed.

Glycerine
Glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 04:38 AM   #17
Sir_Tainly

Thanks Glycerine,

I'm well past that bit now, personally I find web a big problem, often larger monster don't get caught up, and often the PCs do, therefore I would only recommend it against massed hordes of smaller creatures

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123
Old 04-05-2001, 12:27 PM   #18
Khanar
Manshoon

That's why there is a free action spell. Clerics get it, but I forgot what level they have to be in order to have it. I think it's somewhere between 4th and 6th level in their priest scroll. Basically what it does it make the affected character immune to the effects of grease, entangle, and web and stuff like that. Very usefull when you need mobility but want the enemy pinned down.
Khanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 09:31 PM   #19
Arwin Shadowsteel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I actually had quite an easy time killing her by using confuse with my Wizard.
I just cast one confuse on the minions to the left and one on the right side and then the enemies pretty much killed themselves. So if you have confuse and are high enough level to use it you won't have too much trouble killing her off.

-Arwin Shadowsteel
Arwin Shadowsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 10:43 PM   #20
Windrunner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I found a bit of anti missle armor and shields that I use on my main fighter class, alowing him the ablity to drive far and hard and take most of arrow shots ( which don't hit) and bring in the rest to take her out, while using my archer and mage with the ever annoying stings of the magic missles to take out the yuan-ti archers and mages. Seemed to work for me only 2 reloads without losing anyone. But as always this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Windrunner is offline   Reply With Quote